Author Topic: Masks  (Read 160738 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Masks
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2020, 03:22:49 PM »
We're falling into the same trap again. Face shields are still infinitely better than nothing.
They are probably better than nothing, but I wouldn’t just assume they are in the same league as masks without any evidence.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2020, 04:03:17 PM »
They are probably better than nothing, but I wouldn’t just assume they are in the same league as masks without any evidence.

I found this article from May 29: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200529/face-shields-may-be-next-step-to-prevent-covid

It quotes a study in JAMA recommending the use of face shields in certain situations, however states there is no evidence about containing the virus: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2765525

"Of note, no studies have evaluated the effects or potential benefits of face shields on source control, ie, containing a sneeze or cough, when worn by asymptomatic or symptomatic infected persons. However, with efficacy ranges of 68% to 96% for a single face shield, it is likely that adding source control would only improve efficacy, and studies should be completed quickly to evaluate this."
Visibly Jewish

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2020, 04:09:05 PM »
I'm talking about from the wearer. Simulate what singing into a face shield would do to the rest of the room.

So in your experiment are you suggesting spraying at the inside of the shield from a distance of 1", 2" or 3".

Anecdotally, at the LTC facility where my mother stays, they provide the residents with face shield for encounters with visitors. Visitors are required to wear face masks (I don't know what would happen if a visitor tried to come with a face shield) and maintain a distance (all outdoors, for no more than 10 minutes, 1 visitor at a time). 0 infection rate in that facility.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2020, 04:11:17 PM »
While on the topic of aerosols, is there any study or guidance about airconditioning and ceiling fans? I'd love to find some evidence that would cause 770 to stop using those ridiculous ceiling fans and put the AC to good use.
-- Dan

Offline points 99

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2020, 04:17:50 PM »
Heard one time (you'll definitely know better), that the Chabad shita of בור על גבי בור has to do with a proof from tests of colored water whether or not the water from the 2 בורות mix

So in your experiment are you suggesting spraying at the inside of the shield from a distance of 1", 2" or 3".

Anecdotally, at the LTC facility where my mother stays, they provide the residents with face shield for encounters with visitors. Visitors are required to wear face masks (I don't know what would happen if a visitor tried to come with a face shield) and maintain a distance (all outdoors, for no more than 10 minutes, 1 visitor at a time). 0 infection rate in that facility.

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2020, 05:15:07 PM »
Heard one time (you'll definitely know better), that the Chabad shita of בור על גבי בור has to do with a proof from tests of colored water whether or not the water from the 2 בורות mix

the shita is not 'based' on that, it goes back to אדמו"ר הרש"ב.
in the silly disputes raised against it in 'modern' times, one of the sides tried to prove something using a methodology like that. I believe that methodology was disproven

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2020, 06:18:23 PM »

That maybe has to do with the requirement to replace the water in the bottom בור occasionally. The fact that the top בור has warm water and the bottom בור has cold water, lends itself to the laws of physics that the water isn't likely to mix that much. I don't think that means the water won't mix at all, just at a much lower rate than it would with a בור בצד בור.
-- Dan

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2020, 06:43:20 PM »
I think this is the proper place to post
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2020, 07:50:17 PM »
Try here

We’re trying to keep this thread more focused on actual science.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2020, 07:52:39 PM »

No context and fake news. Do you know how many people wear masks every single day? I'm talking without a pandemic.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2020, 09:18:03 PM »
Try here

We’re trying to keep this thread more focused on actual science.
Ooh sharp blow.
👌

Is this a censored thread dedicated only to the positive outcomes from masks? Or all related health info?

I agree that this may be a poor way to give over this information but FYI the CDC website has something similar.

This is a PSA for those clearly dehydrating people I saw walking down an deserted sidewalk suffocating on their masks. Immediate definite danger is definitely not trumped by risk of Covid.

I personally saw a parent attempt to put a mask their infant before being stopped by a neighbor.

Read the thread. Definitely not exclusive to science. Last 2 posts: Black people dont need to wear masks and that we shouldnt enforce masks.....

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/parks-rec/aquatic-venues.html
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2020, 09:41:21 PM »

The correct thread is right here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=115066.0
Visibly Jewish

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2020, 09:53:58 PM »
Ooh sharp blow.
👌

Is this a censored thread dedicated only to the positive outcomes from masks? Or all related health info?

I agree that this may be a poor way to give over this information but FYI the CDC website has something similar.

This is a PSA for those clearly dehydrating people I saw walking down an deserted sidewalk suffocating on their masks. Immediate definite danger is definitely not trumped by risk of Covid.

I personally saw a parent attempt to put a mask their infant before being stopped by a neighbor.

Read the thread. Definitely not exclusive to science. Last 2 posts: Black people dont need to wear masks and that we shouldnt enforce masks.....

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/parks-rec/aquatic-venues.html
Sorry? What exactly are we supposed to see in those links? Didn’t see anything about not enforcing masks or black people.

I have yet to hear from any medical authorities that wearing masks by the masses will cause a “surge” in COVID-like respiratory issues. I’d bet you haven’t either. Not sure if you’re trolling.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2020, 10:01:32 PM »
I should point out you can pass out from wearing a mask (N95) for long periods of time. Especially if you have underlying conditions.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2020, 10:03:42 PM »
I should point out you can pass out from wearing a mask (N95) for long periods of time. Especially if you have underlying conditions.
I’m sure it’s not good for some people to wear masks for extended periods of time.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2020, 10:08:37 PM »
I’m sure it’s not good for some people to wear masks for extended periods of time.
Even healthy people will have issues with carbon dioxide.

A team of Stanford engineers is developing an N95 face mask to counteract the side effects of oxygen deficiency. In an interview, John Xu, a mechanical engineer behind the effort, said: N95 masks are estimated to reduce oxygen intake by anywhere from 5 to 20 percent. That’s significant, even for a healthy person. It can cause dizziness and lightheadedness. If you wear a mask long enough, it can damage the lungs. For a patient in respiratory distress, it can even be life threatening.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2020, 10:13:15 PM »
Even healthy people will have issues with carbon dioxide.

A team of Stanford engineers is developing an N95 face mask to counteract the side effects of oxygen deficiency. In an interview, John Xu, a mechanical engineer behind the effort, said: N95 masks are estimated to reduce oxygen intake by anywhere from 5 to 20 percent. That’s significant, even for a healthy person. It can cause dizziness and lightheadedness. If you wear a mask long enough, it can damage the lungs. For a patient in respiratory distress, it can even be life threatening.

Interesting. Fortunately, N95 masks are only recommended for medical personnel.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2020, 10:15:06 PM »
Interesting. Fortunately, N95 masks are only recommended for medical personnel.
Unfortunately I see a ton of people wearing them as I do. Fortunately I am trained in there use.  :)