Author Topic: Masks  (Read 163986 times)

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Re: Masks
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2020, 01:53:14 PM »
The Trump masks are definitely better than the surgical masks.
And free.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2020, 12:26:05 AM »
I'm confirmed antibody positive. I can't be passing covid germs to anybody.  why should I wear a mask?
(I assume we should, if we chooses to continue, move this to one of the numerous covid threads.)
Maybe the thread called Masks?  But as long as I'm here, the reasons to wear a mask are
  • to avoid exhaling covid germs that may infect others
  • to avoid inhaling covid germs that may get you sick
  • to avoid touching your nose and mouth with hands that may contain covid germs
  • to contribute to the creation of a social environment in which mask-wearing is accepted and expected
You think you're immune to covid, so 1-3 don't apply, but 4 does. 
I'm sure you agree that those who are currently infected, or who haven't been infected yet should be wearing a mask to protect themselves and others.  But people don't want to stick out from the crowd, and those who should wear a mask may reject it for this reason.  Your wearing a mask helps encourage mask-wearing by those who really need to.
4 alone is a weak reason that although true and virtuous wont convince the public.
It was intended to convince @ckmk47 and other virtuous folks.

Let's be honest... everyone in israel wears masks and its spreading there. Masks are cute and nice but they don't actually have enough of a meaningful impact to make anyone who had covid to take care about it. And look at whats going on around us, people are literally destroying cities, defunding police departments and creating total anarchy in the streets. You think these same guys care about what any dr or official says... they don't. Thats why masks will most likely  never be widespread in the us.
ckmk47 asked why she personally should wear a mask, and my answer was based on the assumption that she is not out there destroying cities, either literally or figuratively, or creating anarchy, either total or partial.

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2020, 12:34:14 AM »
It was intended to convince @ckmk47 and other virtuous folks.
ckmk47 asked why she personally should wear a mask, and my answer was based on the assumption that she is not out there destroying cities, either literally or figuratively, or creating anarchy, either total or partial.
This last part brings back memories of a NYT piece blaming a spike in cases on "pro gun people not wearing masks bc they take pleasure in killing people"
The virus is trumps fault bc he supports the 2nd amendment which encourages people to infect their friends.

They did not write this sarcastically.
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2020, 07:15:17 PM »
It's amazing how short people's memories are (and probably overwhelmed by the extensive lockdowns, and ever-changing guidelines and happenings).

I just started listening to TWiV episode 598 from early April, and came across this gem at 2:38!!!!  You must listen to it yourself to put things into perspective. https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-598/
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2020, 09:13:00 PM »
It's amazing how short people's memories are (and probably overwhelmed by the extensive lockdowns, and ever-changing guidelines and happenings).

I just started listening to TWiV episode 598 from early April, and came across this gem at 2:38!!!!  You must listen to it yourself to put things into perspective. https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-598/

They must not read DDF ;D

Except the fact that the incubation period is very long and spread disease even without being sick. No one knows they have the virus until they develop symptoms and get tested, and by then it's way too late. Not to mention that the sick people don't have any masks because the CDC told them not to buy any.

a) Masks prevent you from touching your face.
b) The virus is spreading asymptomatically, and the viral payload is highest at the beginning of infection. Most of the community spread infection is coming during this period. Sick people stay at home more and cause less infection than healthy asymptomatic patients. Telling only sick people to wear masks does almost nothing to stop the contagion.
c) Telling people not to buy masks until they're sick means they won't have a mask once they get sick.
d) China implemented mask wearing on the entire population, and they're containing the outbreak. Is this solid proof that it's helping? No, but it sure isn't hurting them and it seems like it helped.
e) The claim that a surgical mask or an improperly fitted mask means that a person is not fully protected, is true. But, though it might not block all virus particles all of the time, it will still block all virus particles some of the time.
f) Most of the reasons given by the CDC are basically - "hey there's unrelated reasons where it doesn't work!!". Correct, not sanitizing properly can still lead to infection even with a mask. But even the most properly fitted mask, where the user doesn't wear goggles, is risking infection. Stick with the facts - wearing a mask decreases likelihood of infection.
g) What mask shortage? Medical staff don't need masks if anyways they're completely useless for prevention (according to CDC). Just save a couple thousand masks for the 160 COVID patients and all the medical staff will be fine and dandy.
h) Is it really that hard to see that the CDC is in anti-panic mode, and trying to control the impending backlash against them, spitting out nonsense like - "the immediate risk is low" - translation - soon the risk will be pretty high, but we want you to feel everything is fine.

Edit:
i) Increased exposure leads to increased severity of illness and death. Hence all the young healthy doctors that statistically shouldn't be dying, but are. Even with a bad mask, not being exposed to the full payload is better than nothing.

Sad that everything I wrote was pretty obvious and true, but not (re)discovered until months later when the CDC decided to stop lying.
Visibly Jewish

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #145 on: June 30, 2020, 09:24:31 PM »
They must not read DDF ;D

You really think that other than you (and possibly the guy with the selective elephant memory) many that read DDF would remember those posts at this point?
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2020, 10:16:19 AM »

You really think that other than you (and possibly the guy with the selective elephant memory) many that read DDF would remember those posts at this point?

Those specific posts? Maybe not. But masks have been talked about pretty consistently on here.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2020, 11:10:36 AM »
From day one many here said masks work. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would understand why.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2020, 11:17:50 AM »
...but not (re)discovered until months later when the CDC decided to stop lying.
I think this is the crux of the matter. Why would the public trust the medical and political establishment when they have been lying for months?

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2020, 12:48:18 PM »
I think this is the crux of the matter. Why would the public trust the medical and political establishment when they have been lying for months?
FTFY
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2020, 01:40:31 PM »

The public shouldn't trust them, you should only trust what the studies conclude sprinkled with some common sense. That's why when Desantis tells you everything is fine and refuses to release data, you should expect that something is wrong. He can't be caught lying if there's no data to prove him wrong.

I don't think I understood the point of your post (and still don't), I thought you were trying to say how nobody discovered the usefulness of masks until April.
Visibly Jewish

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2020, 02:59:43 PM »
I don't think I understood the point of your post (and still don't), I thought you were trying to say how nobody discovered the usefulness of masks until April.

Not at all. Usefulness of masks wasn't debatable (though there was an argument about it causing increased hand contact with face for people unaccustomed to wearing masks). The point I was making with my post was that at this time (I am guessing that) very few remember that there was guidance saying not to use masks.
-- Dan

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2020, 03:00:18 PM »
Try using some common sense?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2020, 03:01:45 PM »
The point I was making with my post was that at this time (I am guessing that) very few remember that there was guidance saying not to use masks.
All I hear is how could they have been so wrong. So I disagree very few remember.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2020, 03:12:12 PM »
Try using some common sense?

I think I just solved the mystery of the negative hat tip!

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 01, 2020, 03:15:55 PM »
I think I just solved the mystery of the negative hat tip!
Then maybe work on the gender mystery.  :)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2020, 03:20:52 PM »
Then maybe work on the gender mystery.  :)

Nah, I'm good. You could identity as a butterfly for all I care.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 01, 2020, 03:21:19 PM »
Everyone's first instinct should have been masks help/work. Now if reliable scientific studies come along that say otherwise and educated person would then say, Oh I see why they don't work now. That never happened. They tried to say the drawbacks outweighed the KNOWN benefits. This was so there would not be a shortage. Common sense, PEOPLE!  >:(

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2020, 03:21:54 PM »
Nah, I'm good. You could identity as a butterfly for all I care.
Then the butterflies would hate me also.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.