Author Topic: Masks  (Read 160893 times)

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Re: Masks
« Reply #340 on: September 07, 2020, 11:58:49 PM »

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #341 on: September 09, 2020, 01:36:50 PM »
Study published about 6 weeks ago:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11606-020-06067-8

Masks Do More Than Protect Others During COVID-19: Reducing the Inoculum of SARS-CoV-2 to Protect the Wearer
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 13, 2020, 02:20:21 AM »
Kn 95 during selichos,personally I found standing to be more uncomfortable.

I honestly maintain that anyone with an objection to masks during davening just wishes they could talk.

Sure it fogs up my glasses so I take them off, it's a shul not a movie theater.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #343 on: September 13, 2020, 02:25:45 AM »

I honestly maintain that anyone with an objection to masks during davening just wishes they could talk.
Meh.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 13, 2020, 03:47:59 AM »

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 13, 2020, 07:19:12 AM »
Kn 95 during selichos,personally I found standing to be more uncomfortable.

Sure it fogs up my glasses so I take them off, it's a shul not a movie theater.
You are so virtuous. We all aspire to be like you.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 13, 2020, 08:02:14 AM »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #348 on: September 13, 2020, 08:30:50 AM »
https://www.redstate.com/scotthounsell/2020/09/10/the-cdc-accidentally-admits-cloth-masks-are-not-effective/
This is ridiculous. Everyone knows that most masks don't offer much protection to the wearer

This is not the first time this sorry excuse for a blog has been quoted on here. At least CNN has some actual facts and real news mixed in with their analysis and strong left opinions. The quoted blog has a history of distorting and misrepresenting facts, cherry picking quotes and data to sell their agenda. No one should rely on them for anything other than confirmation punditry of their already hard-right bias.

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 13, 2020, 08:43:59 AM »
This is not the first time this sorry excuse for a blog has been quoted on here. At least CNN has some actual facts and real news mixed in with their analysis and strong left opinions. The quoted blog has a history of distorting and misrepresenting facts, cherry picking quotes and data to sell their agenda. No one should rely on them for anything other than confirmation punditry of their already hard-right bias.
What do they write that's wrong in this article?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 13, 2020, 08:46:56 AM »
What do they write that's wrong in this article?

Start with the headline? The CDC didn't "accidentally admit" anything. Everyone has been very clear about what cloth masks can and can't do.

Offline Essen est zich

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
« Reply #351 on: September 13, 2020, 09:38:37 AM »
If anyone is in close contact with someone who is considered contagious according to the above criteria, they need to quarantine. (Close contact is defined as within 6 feet for 10 minutes, regardless of mask use.) Quarantine means to be kept separate from other people, and lasts for 14 days from the last point of close contact with the contagious person. Testing negative does not allow one to discontinue quarantine. If one were to test positive while in quarantine, they would follow isolation guidelines above.

– The Gedaliah Society, in conjunction with Dr. Rosen

This Content Was Published at https://collive.com/coronavirus-update-42-time-to-restart-porch-minyanim-due-to-multiple-new-covid-cases/
Shloffen Shloft Zich

Offline Essen est zich

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
« Reply #352 on: September 13, 2020, 09:47:24 AM »
Close contact is defined as within 6 feet for 10 minutes, regardless of mask use.)
Shloffen Shloft Zich

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 13, 2020, 10:39:03 AM »
https://mishpacha.com/the-kichels

Miriam Rivka (Adler) Rozen 1 WEEK AGO EmailPrint Reply
While I don’t generally read the Mishpacha Magazine each week, I have to say, that when I do have time to read, I enjoy it and I feel that it is an excellent publication. Like many people, the first feature I turn to, is The Kichels. Unfortunately, the comic from two weeks ago didn’t leave me chuckling; I felt offended and angry. I am referring to the episode where not one character was wearing a mask correctly.
I have been an acute care nurse in a really lovely community hospital in Valley Stream, Long Island, NY for over twenty years. Most of those years, I have worked, and continue to work in critical care (ICU). My hospital was one of those in the New York metropolitan area that witnessed some of the worst COVID numbers. When I hear statements like, “oh, it’s political”, or “it’s a hoax”, or “they starved my family member”, and “they didn’t let us visit, those rotten nurses/doctors” I think of one thing: We have surveillance cameras on us constantly. Pull all of the hospital’s surveillance cameras and publicize them for the world to see what actually happened in the hospitals during the COVID-19 pandemic. Allow me to give you a glimpse.
The average 12-hour shift became a 14-hour shift. Nurses didn’t go to the bathroom, nurses didn’t eat, nurses didn’t sit, and nurses often couldn’t find time to have a drink of water. I stopped bringing lunch to work, because I found myself throwing it away, uneaten, at the end of my shift. Nurses literally spent all day keeping people alive; monitoring continuous vital signs (temperatures, blood pressure, pulse and heart rate and rhythms, respirations, and oxygen saturation), and treating them almost as often, treating the sick with multiple lifesaving drips (the average patient had 5-8 life-supporting IV medications that needed to be changed very often), monitoring blood sugars, monitoring ventilator (respirator) support, drawing blood and lab work and then treating abnormal values, and, of course, speaking to families and providing emotional support.
The ICU that I work in has 16 beds. During the pandemic, there were over 30 patients each day. Nurses who usually cared for two critical patients each day had to care for three or four patients at a time. That lasted for about six-seven weeks. Not to mention the additional 10 or so critical patients who were in the ER each day because the main ICU didn’t have enough beds to hold them.
Most of the days I was assigned to work in a makeshift ICU. It was like a field hospital. Supplies were scarce. PPE (personal protective equipment) was scarce at times. Our N-95 masks that we were accustomed to throwing away after previously going into a negative pressure room (those used for TB and other airborne diseases), were suddenly a rare commodity. Even if one broke, our manager told us to staple it back together.
I remember wondering if we were all going to be dead in a few weeks, considering that it seemed that the Malach HaMaves had literally set up shop in my unit. Could you, dear friends and readers, understand that thought? You surely cannot imagine what life was like for the healthcare workers who went to work each day to care for your family members. We put our lives on the line.
Nurses asked shailos about pikuach nefesh. Were they allowed to pick up extra shifts, when asked, to help out their strained colleagues? I have a colleague who did not see his infant for 51 days. Another colleague, a young, new nurse, moved out of her high risk parents’ home. We worried that we were bringing the disease home to our children, spouses, siblings, and parents. Many nurses wrote wills for the first time.
Oftentimes, in the past few months, as I walked in my neighborhood with my mask, I wanted to wear a sign that said, “I worked in the ICU (or ER) yesterday. Would you want to inhale my germs?” My mask protects you and your mask protects me. There is nothing comical about this. I work with many talented doctors who live and breathe a website called “up to date.” They read every single published report related to COVID-19. Even they are shocked at the virulence of this disease. And these experts advise to continue wearing masks and maintaining social distance.
In addition, I feel it is our ethical and moral obligation to be mekadesh sheim Shamayim by doing the very small act of wearing a mask. When I am standing and caring for a patient, I am embarrassed to see and hear news reports about the new COVID cases coming from our communities, from these super-spreader events like chasunos and other such gatherings. How am I to respond to my fellow nurses and doctors when they question me about our communities’ poor COVID habits?
Why does my family have to endure “mask shaming”? Why have my children had their masks pulled off their faces? Do the rules and laws only apply to me? Come on, Klal Yisrael, we can do this. It’s Elul. Can we just wear our masks and practice social distancing? Can we just do it to protect our healthcare workers who have to wear masks for an entire shift multiple times during the week?
I believe we can. We can put our personal yegios aside, we can put our discomfort aside, and we can say we love our brothers and sisters in Klal Yisrael, and we are doing it for them. And we can do our part in preventing the spread of COVID-19.
Wishing everyone a Kesiva Vechasima Tova and a Gut Gebentsht Yahr,

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 13, 2020, 01:56:17 PM »
I just don't understand why it's seen as a joke.

Im the last person to conform, I mean when my father said do this, I didn't, when he said don't do it, I did.

The author aharon applebaum wrote a book called badenheim 1939. I feel like "the grand budapest hotel" is based on the book.

In the book, he describes the anti Jewish laws and the German authorities as "the sanitation department"

Masks are, in my opinion, the best way for society to function at this time.

It's not a test if we, as a society, will just do what we are told.

I certainly understand the opposition by people in that sense but getting lazy?

Doctors can do a 12 hour surgery wearing a mask and you can't pray in it for a few hours?

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 13, 2020, 02:03:04 PM »
Asked a friend who is a surgeon "Do you find wearing a mask uncomfortable during a long surgery?"

He replied , no, He pretty much wears a mask the entire day from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #356 on: September 13, 2020, 02:05:57 PM »
Asked a friend who is a surgeon "Do you find wearing a mask uncomfortable during a long surgery?"

He replied , no, He pretty much wears a mask the entire day from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

One can get used to almost anything.

Some people might consider wearing wool טלית קטן uncomfortable. For many it's second nature, they would feel like they're missing something without it.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 13, 2020, 02:20:40 PM »
You are so virtuous. We all aspire to be like you.

I'm honest, I was bored during selichos

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 13, 2020, 02:22:22 PM »
One can get used to almost anything.

Some people might consider wearing wool טלית קטן uncomfortable. For many it's second nature, they would feel like they're missing something without it.

We discussed this endlessly in the lakewood thread, I think people who wear a towel around their neck in summer in ch to go to mikvah are nuts..

Shaitel, long dress, tights

Beard, tiztzis, hat, jacket.

All of these things in my opinion are infinitely more uncomfortable than wearing a mask indoors

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 13, 2020, 11:54:41 PM »