Author Topic: Masks  (Read 160897 times)

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Masks
« Reply #400 on: September 21, 2020, 05:20:08 AM »
I have 2 relatives who are each in their low 70’s. One is constantly watching the news and is petrified of covid. She hardly leaves her home to socialize and is a nervous wreck. The other isolated a couple of months until they felt they had a bit of clarity. They looked at things with an open mind and decided that they would choose to live life. They compare is to going into a car etc and facing assumed risk like so many of life’s activities. They felt that going maskless was an acceptable risk as well. They did their research and take zinc and several other supplements prophylacticly, and wear masks only when stores mandate it. They say they are comfortable with their decision and accept the risk, which they do feel has been over hyped in general. They have lots of family ties in Israel and see the toll the lockdowns have taken and that has them convinced that they are making the right move.
Is there an ending to this story? I hope it's a happy one.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #401 on: September 21, 2020, 08:48:09 AM »
I have 2 relatives who are each in their low 70’s. One is constantly watching the news and is petrified of covid. She hardly leaves her home to socialize and is a nervous wreck. The other isolated a couple of months until they felt they had a bit of clarity. They looked at things with an open mind and decided that they would choose to live life. They compare is to going into a car etc and facing assumed risk like so many of life’s activities. They felt that going maskless was an acceptable risk as well. They did their research and take zinc and several other supplements prophylacticly, and wear masks only when stores mandate it. They say they are comfortable with their decision and accept the risk, which they do feel has been over hyped in general. They have lots of family ties in Israel and see the toll the lockdowns have taken and that has them convinced that they are making the right move.
Somehow you ignored the middle option.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 21, 2020, 08:59:19 AM »
Somehow you ignored the middle option.
They know the option is there. They are making a conscious and informed decision to go back to life as normal as are many others. They have concluded that there is a degree of mass hysteria and hype in the media. They are focusing on what they perceive to be the actual risk, and making the decision to live life with that level of risk.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 21, 2020, 08:59:54 AM »

That’s a problem when the “research” older people are presented consists mostly of fake news.
Visibly Jewish

Offline cmey

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 21, 2020, 09:39:58 AM »
That’s a problem when the “research” older people are presented consists mostly of fake news.
They are not Trumpers. They did a tremendous amount of research (they have the time to do it) and actually spoke to a couple of experts in the field. The came to the conclusion that there is hysteria and overreaction given the facts at hand. I’m sure there are others who have looked at the numbers and concluded that they want to take precautions, ranging from mild trade offs to full blown isolation. But I don’t think they are off base with their decision.

You do realize that even NY state which was hit hard had some 32,000 deaths, of which over 10,000 are estimated to be nursing home patients, and a significant number of the others had dementia or significant underlying health issues. The remaining number is out of a population of 20 million. Are they being reckless to assume the risk? I don’t think so.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 21, 2020, 09:43:48 AM »
They are not Trumpers. They did a tremendous amount of research (they have the time to do it) and actually spoke to a couple of experts in the field. The came to the conclusion that there is hysteria and overreaction given the facts at hand. I’m sure there are others who have looked at the numbers and concluded that they want to take precautions, ranging from mild trade offs to full blown isolation. But I don’t think they are off base with their decision.

You do realize that even NY state which was hit hard had some 32,000 deaths, of which over 10,000 are estimated to be nursing home patients, and a significant number of the others had dementia or significant underlying health issues. The remaining number is out of a population of 20 million. Are they being reckless to assume the risk? I don’t think so.
It's more than 10k, halfway thru they stopped counting nursing home residents as nursing home deaths unless they died in the nursing home.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #406 on: September 21, 2020, 09:47:03 AM »

Saying that there is some hysteria out there is not the same as saying to throw all caution to the wind. I can tell you that last RH I was the only one saying kaddish in my shul and this year there were between 10 and 15 due to COVID. If they are in their &) then THEY ARE the at risk people that were being discussed. The most coherent argument for fewer precautions has always been that the older people should be more careful. If they are not then that goes out the window.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline cmey

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 21, 2020, 10:19:32 AM »
It's more than 10k, halfway thru they stopped counting nursing home residents as nursing home deaths unless they died in the nursing home.
That’s why the official number of 6500 nursing home deaths is assumed to be north of 10k.

Offline SayWhat

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 21, 2020, 06:02:43 PM »

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #410 on: September 21, 2020, 06:07:04 PM »
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Masks
« Reply #411 on: September 21, 2020, 07:47:27 PM »
Something I've been curious about (I know it's been discussed upthread but didn't have a good conclusion). As per my friends and relatives in Israel, mask usage is extremely high and yet Covid is widespread. Does this "prove" that masks don't work?

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #412 on: September 21, 2020, 08:08:55 PM »
Looking around 770 on RH I would guess that about 70%-80% were wearing some sort of mask (including chin masks). One observation I had was that the masks must have been designed by some antisemite, as they were not designed to fit Jewish noses.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Masks
« Reply #413 on: September 21, 2020, 08:11:22 PM »
Something I've been curious about (I know it's been discussed upthread but didn't have a good conclusion). As per my friends and relatives in Israel, mask usage is extremely high and yet Covid is widespread. Does this "prove" that masks don't work?
One observation I had was that the masks must have been designed by some antisemite, as they were not designed to fit Jewish noses.
Think I have my answer. Masks don't work for Jews. ;)

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #414 on: September 21, 2020, 08:14:48 PM »
Think I have my answer. Masks don't work for Jews. ;)

As long as air is free, we'll take the damaged stuff, too.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 21, 2020, 10:48:32 PM »
https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/why-it-feels-like-you-cant-breathe-inside-your-face-mask-and-what-to-do

Some validation for those saying they feel like they can’t breathe
Wow you really thought till now that people are faking for no good reason ::)

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 21, 2020, 11:10:32 PM »
Looking around 770 on RH I would guess that about 70%-80% were wearing some sort of mask (including chin masks). One observation I had was that the masks must have been designed by some antisemite, as they were not designed to fit Jewish noses.
I've commented that that's the one good thing about the Chinese kn95 cones

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #417 on: September 21, 2020, 11:34:30 PM »
Wow you really thought till now that people are faking for no good reason ::)
As the article points out, it’s probably psychological. Which is valid.

I thought that people weren’t giving it a fair shot. I suspect it is a combination.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 21, 2020, 11:40:40 PM »
https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/why-it-feels-like-you-cant-breathe-inside-your-face-mask-and-what-to-do

Some validation for those saying they feel like they can’t breathe
Besides for that, I feel like I'm breathing stale air

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #419 on: September 21, 2020, 11:42:49 PM »
I've commented that that's the one good thing about the Chinese kn95 cones

Those have other issues.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan