Author Topic: Seminary/Yeshiva Israel Rebbeim  (Read 13947 times)

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Seminary/Yeshiva Israel Rebbeim
« on: April 01, 2020, 03:00:08 PM »
I think the odds of Israeli Yeshivos and Seminaries opening in September is close to zero (Nveh, to my understanding, already announced their schools would not be opening). I have to think best case scenario is opening after Chanukah.
What will all the rebbeim and teachers do without any income? This is going to be a huge problem here.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Seminary/Yeshiva Israel Rebbeim
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 04:13:57 PM »
What are they doing now for the rest of this year?

Also seminaries charge tens of thousands of dollars tuition with most of it paid upfront. What happens to the deposit already paid for next year? Are they depositing the checks for the upcoming payments if they don't know if they are opening?

Additionally what about this years tuition which has  already been fully paid for almost anyone who was in seminary. Are they providing refunds?

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 04:32:28 PM »

my daughter's seminary has a few classes a day online. It's not the same as if she was there but at least they are attempting to provide something. Anyway they would have pesach break now. Maybe they will have more classes after pesach.

Additionally what about this years tuition which has  already been fully paid for almost anyone who was in seminary. Are they providing refunds?
yeah, right. Is this April Fools' Day?  ::)

Offline SamCan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 04:34:45 PM »

Also seminaries charge tens of thousands of dollars tuition with most of it paid upfront. What happens to the deposit already paid for next year? Are they depositing the checks for the upcoming payments if they don't know if they are opening?

Ami magazine has a great article regarding these exact questions.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 04:37:13 PM »
I doubt any are giving any money back. FWIU, none of them "closed" because of this. Many are giving classes. I think a lot of them are still paying their teachers through the end of the year.
Not sure regarding deposits for next year.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 04:57:19 PM »

Ami magazine has a great article regarding these exact questions.

One paragraph summary please?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 05:33:20 PM »
Iyh Israel will get on the South Korea track and get it under control. BUT, the borders will remain tightly shut until a vaccine is invented. So only Israelis will be going in, and even then, to a 2 week quarantine at a designated hotel.

Lag Baomer, Shavuos, Sem/Yeshiva, Succos etc is not happening for foreigners.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 05:45:22 PM »
Iyh Israel will get on the South Korea track and get it under control. BUT, the borders will remain tightly shut until a vaccine is invented. So only Israelis will be going in, and even then, to a 2 week quarantine at a designated hotel.

Yup, I really don't see borders opened before Chanukkah, the earliest

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 07:46:32 PM »

should have rapid testing by then. They can test you when you come in. If you don’t have it no need to quarantine

Offline Yonah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 08:44:52 PM »
FWIW, I got a call from the program my son is I"H going to next year. They currently expect to open on time, worst case - after the Yamim Tovim - in which case they said they would extend the year by another month.

I am not 100% convinced I believe it, but I want to know where people are coming up with December or January estimates?

Offline YesThatsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 11:31:46 PM »
FWIW, I got a call from the program my son is I"H going to next year. They currently expect to open on time, worst case - after the Yamim Tovim - in which case they said they would extend the year by another month.

I am not 100% convinced I believe it, but I want to know where people are coming up with December or January estimates?

If your son is not an Israeli citizen, don't count on it. The border will stay sealed shut.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 08:14:40 AM »

Kinda like the Pesach hotels that are still claiming to be operational?

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 08:19:27 AM »
If your son is not an Israeli citizen, don't count on it. The border will stay sealed shut.

Where is the source for this? Has the Health ministry made any proclaimations?

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 08:20:03 AM »
Kinda like the Pesach hotels that are still claiming to be operational?

September is still 5 months away...

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 08:21:44 AM »
September is still 5 months away...

All I’m saying is they’re telling you what they want to believe is true. But they can’t possibly know what things will look like in 5 months.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2020, 08:29:28 AM »
All I’m saying is they’re telling you what they want to believe is true. But they can’t possibly know what things will look like in 5 months.

Yes, I totally agree. But I'm also in contact with people in my office as well as keeping on top of the news, discussing how and when we feel we'd be able to go back to work/school. I'd be surprised if Camp happens at all this summer, or if we're allowed back in shul before July. But if we are back in shul in July, is it not reasonable to suggest that the next school year will start on time? (Obviously, this post might not age well, I'll have to revisit it over the summer)

I think Governor Cuomo said last week that Peak in NY is 5-6 weeks away, say that the worst case is June 1 - say 6-8 weeks after that, restrictions might start to ease, which is around early August.  Given that, School (in Israel or the US) starting on time - or even immediately after the chagim, isn't entirely unreasonable.

So for those of you suggesting Chanukah, where does that come from? What's the logic? Is there a source from the Israeli Government suggesting it?

Offline Yikes2179

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2020, 08:45:20 AM »
My son's yeshiva in Israel who I had to give a deposit for today, reduced the amount of the deposit amd promised that if they don't open on time at the end of August they will refund

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 08:49:23 AM »
My son's yeshiva in Israel who I had to give a deposit for today, reduced the amount of the deposit amd promised that if they don't open on time at the end of August they will refund
Good luck with that
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline YesThatsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2020, 08:55:27 AM »
Yes, I totally agree. But I'm also in contact with people in my office as well as keeping on top of the news, discussing how and when we feel we'd be able to go back to work/school. I'd be surprised if Camp happens at all this summer, or if we're allowed back in shul before July. But if we are back in shul in July, is it not reasonable to suggest that the next school year will start on time? (Obviously, this post might not age well, I'll have to revisit it over the summer)

I think Governor Cuomo said last week that Peak in NY is 5-6 weeks away, say that the worst case is June 1 - say 6-8 weeks after that, restrictions might start to ease, which is around early August.  Given that, School (in Israel or the US) starting on time - or even immediately after the chagim, isn't entirely unreasonable.

So for those of you suggesting Chanukah, where does that come from? What's the logic? Is there a source from the Israeli Government suggesting it?

It’s common sense: IYH Israel will be able to flatten the curve and stop the virus and go back so a semblance of normalcy come May/June. However, Israel will not want any potential carriers coming and restarting the whole spread again. So the shut borders are going to stay with us long after the quarantine is officially over. Only Israelis will be allowed to enter, and will be made to quarantine for 2 weeks, seemingly at a designated hotel.

Offline Shmobaum

• View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2020, 09:09:35 AM »
I think once we have a definitive answer about Immunity once infected and recovered, things will iyh drastically change to normal.