Author Topic: Seminary/Yeshiva Israel Rebbeim  (Read 13956 times)

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Seminary/Yeshiva Israel Rebbeim
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2020, 09:49:24 PM »
huh? what about mortgage? insurance? Bear in mind most camps rely on 2 months a year to pay a 12 month mortgage (with some recently starting to profit off school "shabbatons").

how much insurance do they need if there is not going to be camp this year

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2020, 08:42:17 AM »
Any business that took MCAs or other money that is non or semi regulated will have staggeringly insurmountable debt.

The lenders funding these MCA loans are going to have a hard time collecting. Wondering how these delays/defaults will affect the broader economy.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2020, 09:13:22 AM »
The lenders funding these MCA loans are going to have a hard time collecting. Wondering how these delays/defaults will affect the broader economy.

The anecdotal data I've seen is that they are working with merchants for now. I'm curious to see for how long, though. It won't take much for some of them to get nervous and default so they don't lose their position to collect from other assets.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2020, 11:50:58 PM »
I just received this from the seminary my daughter is enrolled for next year.

Dear Parents,
  We sincerely hope that you and your families are all well.
  We remain hopeful that be'ezras Hashem we will be commencing seminary on time, in our beautiful premises in Yerushalayim, and we look forward to greeting your daughter here soon.
   We are finalizing preparations to ensure that we will provide our complete and multi faceted program in our campus as normal.  Consistent with this, we will be continuing to process payment plans as normal and as per tuition agreements.
  It goes without saying that chas v’sholom should the seminary be precluded from opening its doors, we will be properly refunding tuition payments received.    Once again, wishing you and your entire families gezunt and hatzlocho.
   With sincerest best wishes for a ישועה בקרוב for all of כלל ישראל .

And it included the starting date and group flight info.

The next payment is due on 4/30. I'm not sure what to do with this. Should I trust them that if things don't work out they will give a prompt refund. Does "properly refunding tuition payments" mean a full refund. What if they do open but under compromised circumstances.
I could put a hold on the CC and the charge would get declined but they probably won't be too happy with that.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2020, 12:13:34 AM »
I just received this from the seminary my daughter is enrolled for next year.

Dear Parents,
  We sincerely hope that you and your families are all well.
  We remain hopeful that be'ezras Hashem we will be commencing seminary on time, in our beautiful premises in Yerushalayim, and we look forward to greeting your daughter here soon.
   We are finalizing preparations to ensure that we will provide our complete and multi faceted program in our campus as normal.  Consistent with this, we will be continuing to process payment plans as normal and as per tuition agreements.
  It goes without saying that chas v’sholom should the seminary be precluded from opening its doors, we will be properly refunding tuition payments received.    Once again, wishing you and your entire families gezunt and hatzlocho.
   With sincerest best wishes for a ישועה בקרוב for all of כלל ישראל .

And it included the starting date and group flight info.

The next payment is due on 4/30. I'm not sure what to do with this. Should I trust them that if things don't work out they will give a prompt refund. Does "properly refunding tuition payments" mean a full refund. What if they do open but under compromised circumstances.
I could put a hold on the CC and the charge would get declined but they probably won't be too happy with that.
Sounds like they plan to refund you fully, and they would have no tayna of Makas Medina should they not be able to. You won’t quite be the muchzak but there is a real chance it will open, at least at some point, and if not they have very little to stand on in refusing a refund.

Tbh, I’d rethink sending my daughter to Israel for next year, but that’s just personal preference.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2020, 01:05:39 AM »
Email them asking for clarification and about your concerns. Paper trail is your best protection in case it comes to anything.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2020, 06:49:38 AM »

Once they have your $$ you’ll be hard pressed to get any back if they end up opening in any capacity but you choose not to send your child there. You might have legitimate concerns at that point but they will insist that they’re open and they used your funds to make arrangements to accommodate your child.

Also, what happens if they’re insist they’re “open” but your child can’t legally travel to Israel?

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2020, 07:48:28 AM »
Email them asking for clarification and about your concerns. Paper trail is your best protection in case it comes to anything.
This. Make sure you have in writing that remote learning does not constitute opening
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2020, 01:16:31 PM »
Once they have your $$ you’ll be hard pressed to get any back if they end up opening in any capacity but you choose not to send your child there. You might have legitimate concerns at that point but they will insist that they’re open and they used your funds to make arrangements to accommodate your child.

Also, what happens if they’re insist they’re “open” but your child can’t legally travel to Israel?
This. Make sure you have in writing that remote learning does not constitute opening
+1
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2020, 02:20:07 PM »
Thanks for your responses, I will reach out to them and keep everyone posted.

Offline cozmohoot

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2020, 05:33:34 PM »
People start paying for seminary months before the child is actually there?

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2020, 10:30:30 PM »
Just curious what other people's contingency plans are?

My hope is that we'll have a better idea by Mid-July at the latest - especially considering the deadline for college deferring is usually in early August.

If my son's program doesn't start until December or January, I'd probably want him to get in a semester of college before he goes, even if it is a local Community college.

Offline YesThatsMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2020, 08:54:40 AM »
Any word from seminaries on the coming academic year? Are they still charging?

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2020, 08:18:48 PM »
Thanks for your responses, I will reach out to them and keep everyone posted.
They didn't answer most of my questions other than that if they cannot open they will fully refund all monies paid. I got them to defer the April 30 Payment.

Hopefully by June when the next payment is due there will be more clarity. The way things are looking in E"Y now it would seem very plausible that they should be able to open.

Offline Baglach

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2020, 11:13:59 PM »
They didn't answer most of my questions other than that if they cannot open they will fully refund all monies paid. I got them to defer the April 30 Payment.

Hopefully by June when the next payment is due there will be more clarity. The way things are looking in E"Y now it would seem very plausible that they should be able to open.
In Netanyahu press conference today he claimed they are doing everything possible to open Israel back up to the world, with Israel target date of June 14 to having everything back open ( if things run smoothly), you'd have to believe that they will have a solution by September (it may require quarantine in seminaries etc). Remember the Israeli government /tourism want/need all the Americans back. All this is obviously only if they prevent a new wave but with under 100 cases daily and over 2 weeks of easing restrictions that's how it looks like.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2020, 02:49:14 AM »
June 14 is the target open date for visitors from Cyprus & Greece.

A large proportion of seminary and yeshiva students only go because of social norms and will be thrilled at the first excuse to stay home.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2020, 03:31:39 AM »
In Netanyahu press conference today he claimed they are doing everything possible to open Israel back up to the world, with Israel target date of June 14 to having everything back open ( if things run smoothly), you'd have to believe that they will have a solution by September (it may require quarantine in seminaries etc). Remember the Israeli government /tourism want/need all the Americans back. All this is obviously only if they prevent a new wave but with under 100 cases daily and over 2 weeks of easing restrictions that's how it looks like.
I will eat my hat if there are foreigners in Israel for the summer
Noted.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Proisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2020, 03:46:30 AM »
Would seminaries open if they had to keep the studdents on campus for the first 2-3 weeks? That could be a good option for seminaries and dormitory yeshivas with on-site dormities.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2020, 06:28:58 AM »
A large proportion of seminary and yeshiva students only go because of social norms and will be thrilled at the first excuse to stay home.

Would have thought they’d be excited to spend a year in the holy land, and away from their parents.

If you’re right, then these societal norms are a colossal waste of money. Essentially people spending money they don’t have on something they don’t need, because of how they hope others will perceive them (should I dare invoke the words Shidduch sham?)...

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2020, 09:46:03 AM »
Would have thought they’d be excited to spend a year in the holy land, and away from their parents.

If you’re right, then these societal norms are a colossal waste of money. Essentially people spending money they don’t have on something they don’t need, because of how they hope others will perceive them (should I dare invoke the words Shidduch sham?)...

I think he’s right, and honestly don’t understand why more girls don’t stay in Brooklyn/Lakewood for Seminary. I get that the trend is moving in that direction but this may be the kick in the pants to make it happen across the board.

Full disclosure: a relative of mine runs an American Seminary (not that that has anything to do with my question)
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.