Author Topic: Seminary/Yeshiva Israel Rebbeim  (Read 13759 times)

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Seminary/Yeshiva Israel Rebbeim
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2020, 10:15:04 AM »
June 14 is the target open date for visitors from Cyprus & Greece.

A large proportion of seminary and yeshiva students only go because of social norms and will be thrilled at the first excuse to stay home.
What leads you to this conclusion? It doesn't apply to just about anyone I know who went to seminary or yeshiva in Israel.
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Online YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2020, 10:26:03 AM »
June 14 is the target open date for visitors from Cyprus & Greece.

A large proportion of seminary and yeshiva students only go because of social norms and will be thrilled at the first excuse to stay home.

+1

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2020, 10:37:12 AM »
societal norms are a colossal waste of money. Essentially people spending money they don’t have on something they don’t need, because of how they hope others will perceive them (should I dare invoke the words Shidduch sham?)...
'nuff said
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2020, 11:02:42 AM »
What leads you to this conclusion? It doesn't apply to just about anyone I know who went to seminary or yeshiva in Israel.
How do you know? People aren’t keen on admitting that’s the reason they’re doing it, but through observation you’ll find it’s often the case. Not for everyone, of course. But for many.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Yonah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2020, 11:20:17 AM »
Would have thought they’d be excited to spend a year in the holy land, and away from their parents.
If you’re right, then these societal norms are a colossal waste of money. Essentially people spending money they don’t have on something they don’t need, because of how they hope others will perceive them (should I dare invoke the words Shidduch sham?)...

There are a lot of motivations for kids spending the gap year in Israel, and I don't doubt that there are plenty of people who have the wrong motivation and/or just doing it to tick the right boxes on a shidduch resume.

My father A"H went to learn for a year at Torah Ohr under R' Scheinberg, Z"L in the late 1960s. He and my uncle (his twin) were among the few "americans" learning there for the year - there was no Israel "program". My Zayde felt it was important for them to live and learn torah in our land. While my dad didn't make Aliyah,  his other 3 siblings have. (We nearly moved in 1986, when he was offered a job, but my mom A"H nixed it).

I spent 1.5 years there before going to college. It was one of the most amazing and eye-opening experiences in my life. The feeling you get when you daven at the kotel, or when you are standing in a place where the stories you learned in Tanach actually happened, and you can visualize them coming to life.  Let's be honest with ourselves - most of us live in silos - Ashkenazi , Sephardi, and many times even deeper than that. You go to shuls and meet people who are very different, who's davening is the same but has a little twist or two - and yet at the end of the day, we are all hashem's children , coming together with one language (english).

Forgive me for being overly romantic. Yes, I understand that not everyone had the same feelings and experience that I had (my BIL, for example, went to the same Yeshiva I did, two years before me and left after a couple of months). But I know the value I received from my gap year in Israel, and I am forever grateful to my parents for letting me go.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2020, 12:20:38 PM »
How do you know? People aren’t keen on admitting that’s the reason they’re doing it, but through observation you’ll find it’s often the case. Not for everyone, of course. But for many.
I've had multiple recent conversations about this topic with friends as we are now beginning to send our own children. That many years removed, and in this context, I'm pretty confident that people are accurately reporting their motives and experiences.

Speaking for myself, I can honestly say that my time learning is EY positively impacted my life and continues to do so. I hope all my children have the same opportunities and positive experience.
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2020, 02:09:33 PM »
I've had multiple recent conversations about this topic with friends as we are now beginning to send our own children. That many years removed, and in this context, I'm pretty confident that people are accurately reporting their motives and experiences.

Speaking for myself, I can honestly say that my time learning is EY positively impacted my life and continues to do so. I hope all my children have the same opportunities and positive experience.

There are a lot of motivations for kids spending the gap year in Israel, and I don't doubt that there are plenty of people who have the wrong motivation and/or just doing it to tick the right boxes on a shidduch resume.

My father A"H went to learn for a year at Torah Ohr under R' Scheinberg, Z"L in the late 1960s. He and my uncle (his twin) were among the few "americans" learning there for the year - there was no Israel "program". My Zayde felt it was important for them to live and learn torah in our land. While my dad didn't make Aliyah,  his other 3 siblings have. (We nearly moved in 1986, when he was offered a job, but my mom A"H nixed it).

I spent 1.5 years there before going to college. It was one of the most amazing and eye-opening experiences in my life. The feeling you get when you daven at the kotel, or when you are standing in a place where the stories you learned in Tanach actually happened, and you can visualize them coming to life.  Let's be honest with ourselves - most of us live in silos - Ashkenazi , Sephardi, and many times even deeper than that. You go to shuls and meet people who are very different, who's davening is the same but has a little twist or two - and yet at the end of the day, we are all hashem's children , coming together with one language (english).

Forgive me for being overly romantic. Yes, I understand that not everyone had the same feelings and experience that I had (my BIL, for example, went to the same Yeshiva I did, two years before me and left after a couple of months). But I know the value I received from my gap year in Israel, and I am forever grateful to my parents for letting me go.
That’s fantastic! Glad to hear some people are acting on what they think is right, not just because everyone does it
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2020, 02:19:22 PM »
Related but not related (if there is a better place for this question, please let me know), and assuming that my son's yeshiva year happens, I have two questions:

- What do people do about Car Insurance? Just let them know he is overseas and take the discount, or drop altogether? (my impression is that having him on the insurance, but out of the country, will help later on because his gap year will count towards him being insured 3 consecutive years).

- for their phone service, is it worth the hassle of suspending their us # or should I just keep it alive and forward it to their Israeli #?

Online PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2020, 03:25:55 PM »

I in no-way knocked the experience.
I still think there is a large proportion of people who are sending merely because the herd is going. Granted, I personally think if they can afford it it's a great expense, but I don't think they believe that.

ETA: My comments are mostly about seminaries. Yeshiva's are more likely to survive as they provide more value and have less infrastructure so can live on with a handful of guys. A guy is likely to go to Yeshiva even if 50% of his friends aren't, but a girl is more likely to be subject to critical mass
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 03:32:31 PM by PlatinumGuy »
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2020, 03:30:31 PM »
People start paying for seminary months before the child is actually there?
There is a deposit

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2020, 09:44:59 PM »
- for their phone service, is it worth the hassle of suspending their us # or should I just keep it alive and forward it to their Israeli #?
I cancelled my son's US number, he was OK with it. My daughter wanted to keep her number so I kept it alive $6/month, did not forward anything.
Both had Golan in Israel 35 shekel/month.

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2020, 11:29:48 PM »
I cancelled my son's US number, he was OK with it. My daughter wanted to keep her number so I kept it alive $6/month, did not forward anything.
Did they have Anerican Virtual Numbers? If yes, through which provider? If not, how did you and other reach them?
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Online Realshlomo

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2020, 11:35:48 PM »
Related but not related (if there is a better place for this question, please let me know), and assuming that my son's yeshiva year happens, I have two questions:

- What do people do about Car Insurance? Just let them know he is overseas and take the discount, or drop altogether? (my impression is that having him on the insurance, but out of the country, will help later on because his gap year will count towards him being insured 3 consecutive years).

You can port their number to Google voice for $20 and port back once they come back.

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2020, 11:40:20 PM »
Did they have Anerican Virtual Numbers? If yes, through which provider? If not, how did you and other reach them?
calling Israel is free with my cell (Ting)...and a local israeli voip number that rings on our US numbers

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2020, 12:07:48 AM »
calling Israel is free with my cell (Ting)...and a local israeli voip number that rings on our US numbers
Can you kindly explain "local Israeli voip number" tia
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2020, 10:39:03 AM »
Can you kindly explain "local Israeli voip number" tia
+1

You can port their number to Google voice for $20 and port back once they come back.
.... and then forward GV to their "US" number? Were there any difficulties with this?

So essentially, if someone called your daughter's # while she was away did it ring?

Online Realshlomo

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2020, 10:42:24 AM »
If you have a smartphone in Israel anyone can call your Google voice number and it will ring the phone. It will be over data.
If no smartphone cellular Israel offers an American number for $15 a month that you can set it up to forward to. Havent done that but I have forwarded my Google voice to other numbers and it works no problem.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2020, 10:58:50 AM »
I’ve used CallCentric for $1 monthly plus 2¢ per incoming minute. Unless you plan on taking lots of calls, this should come out cheaper than $15 monthly.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2020, 01:38:47 PM »
If you have a smartphone in Israel anyone can call your Google voice number and it will ring the phone. It will be over data.
i.e. if he switches Google Voice to only use data.... that would actually work

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2020, 03:32:00 PM »
i.e. if he switches Google Voice to only use data.... that would actually work

Still a PITA.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty