Author Topic: Can we Stop Using Zoom?  (Read 13527 times)

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Can we Stop Using Zoom?
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2020, 09:25:13 PM »
BMG is asking all lakewood schools not to use Zoom or anything like it for learning
Why does BMG have to meddle in every topic?   :o
["-"]

Offline SamCan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2020, 09:58:08 PM »
Vague letter. Did someone notify them that there are fully kosher tablets? The benefit of  ספרים שו״ת was that we knew the questions.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2020, 10:01:05 PM »
Vague letter. Did someone notify them that there are fully kosher tablets? The benefit of  ספרים שו״ת was that we knew the questions.
Usually the way it works is someone comes running to them and explains in the worst way possible how a terrible calamity is befalling the jewish nation and their signatures are needed to save klal yisroel, facts not withstanding.

I'm not who you think I am.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2020, 10:02:05 PM »
Usually the way it works is someone comes running to them and explains in the worst way possible how a terrible calamity is befalling the jewish nation and their signatures are needed to save klal yisroel, fact not withstanding.
Right and you figured it all out but they can't.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2020, 10:04:32 PM »
Right and you figured it all out but they can't.
Oh no. I have nothing figured out, but after a few mess ups I dont trust these letters to be a response to the actual problem at hand, instead to a narrow minded view on how it is explained to them.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2020, 12:12:13 AM »
Why does BMG have to meddle in every topic?   :o

Usually the way it works is someone comes running to them and explains in the worst way possible how a terrible calamity is befalling the jewish nation and their signatures are needed to save klal yisroel, facts not withstanding.

If you don't like the way they operate you don't have to live in their town or listen to what they say. The letter was written for the people and mosdos in Lakewood that do care for their opinion.

Offline SamCan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2020, 12:21:05 AM »
If you don't like the way they operate you don't have to live in their town or listen to what they say. The letter was written for the people and mosdos in Lakewood that do care for their opinion.

Correct but it would be smarter if the question would be posted as well. Not just something vague about not using zoom. Also many prominent schools have been adopting it, did they call the schools to examine how it’s done? If yes they should have said something like , “we examined all Soloutions and found that even tablets with zoom only has its dangers because of reason x.”

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2020, 12:23:15 AM »
what makes you think its their town?
["-"]

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2020, 12:23:59 AM »
Seems pretty clear to me. I'm sure someone told them that there's kosher tablets.

I also imagine their reasoning is that the benefits of a video conference over a regular conference call/pre-recorded call is not worth the price of making inroads for stuff which is bad. Especially when older children do not need visual stuff. And for the younger children let them play for an extra month or so.

When I say bad I don't mean bad, I mean the lack of good. Because as much as bad is bad, the lack of good is 1000 times worse.

My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline SamCan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2020, 12:30:25 AM »
Seems pretty clear to me. I'm sure someone told them that there's kosher tablets.

I also imagine their reasoning is that the benefits of a video conference over a regular conference call/pre-recorded call is not worth the price of making inroads for stuff which is bad. Especially when older children do not need visual stuff. And for the younger children let them play for an extra month or so.

When I say bad I don't mean bad, I mean the lack of good. Because as much as bad is bad, the lack of good is 1000 times worse.

Possibly they were told about the other Soloutions, but I doubt they called up a school that does it to discuss how it’s implemented.

What probably happened was schools were getting pressure from parents so  they asked the poskim to write something to get them to back off.

Zoom isn’t all good,  it’s not good for older kids but is much better for younger kids. My daughters school is providing all day phone classes from pre school and up so they have an excuse to charge tuition.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2020, 11:51:04 AM »
what makes you think its their town?
So don't send to a mosad that listens to them.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2020, 11:55:27 AM »
Correct but it would be smarter if the question would be posted as well. Not just something vague about not using zoom. Also many prominent schools have been adopting it, did they call the schools to examine how it’s done? If yes they should have said something like , “we examined all Soloutions and found that even tablets with zoom only has its dangers because of reason x.”

Possibly they were told about the other Soloutions, but I doubt they called up a school that does it to discuss how it’s implemented.

What probably happened was schools were getting pressure from parents so  they asked the poskim to write something to get them to back off.

I am not sure why you think that they are so naive.

Offline SamCan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2020, 10:33:26 PM »
It would be naive to think they actually considered any option even for one minute, and didn’t just ban the whole thing instantly.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2020, 11:16:54 PM »
It would be naive to think they actually considered any option even for one minute, and didn’t just ban the whole thing instantly.
You are dead wrong. You don't want to listen to them then don't. Don't make up stupidity just to allay your guilty feelings.

Online yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2020, 11:26:27 PM »
You are dead wrong. You don't want to listen to them then don't. Don't make up stupidity just to allay your guilty feelings.
This. Every time any Gadol says anything, you always have plenty of people saying "he didn't mean it, he was pressured, it wasn't explained to him" etc. While that might be true some of the time, it seems to me that it's always the same people just looking for an excuse to do what they want and not have to change their way of thinking.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2020, 11:30:19 PM »
This. Every time any Gadol says anything, you always have plenty of people saying "he didn't mean it, he was pressured, it wasn't explained to him" etc. While that might be true some of the time, it seems to me that it's always the same people just looking for an excuse to do what they want and not have to change their way of thinking.
I can tell you that this question was gone through with a very fine tooth comb.

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2020, 11:49:40 PM »
What percentage of parents in Lakewood have only kosher phones?
Or rather, how many households in Lakewood have a DVD player with kids watching (for hours/day)?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 11:56:11 PM by Shmobaum »

Offline SamCan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2020, 12:24:48 AM »

Asking questions about a psak given by a rav is something we see for generations, in Halacha and Hashkafa, that’s why we have thick volumes of שו״ת ספרים. We don’t think they are ignorant, but we want to understand the details of what was discussed, as releasing details provides clarity, it also usually helps with those saying they were pressured. In this case questions can be asked, especially when other prominent schools did allow zoom schools to go on.

With minyanim they released a clear letter explaining the situations and their reasonings, great! They could have done the same thing here, and would have put some of these questions to rest, but they didn’t, as they just have to convince school administrators not everybody, which was their goal. Yes we all know they wouldn’t consider any zoom options whatsoever, even if you agree with them you believe that. 

Next time don’t attack attack me personally for misunderstanding me.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2020, 12:37:53 AM »
Asking questions about a psak given by a rav is something we see for generations, in Halacha and Hashkafa, that’s why we have thick volumes of שו״ת ספרים. We don’t think they are ignorant, but we want to understand the details of what was discussed, as releasing details provides clarity, it also usually helps with those saying they were pressured. In this case questions can be asked, especially when other prominent schools did allow zoom schools to go on.

With minyanim they released a clear letter explaining the situations and their reasonings, great! They could have done the same thing here, and would have put some of these questions to rest, but they didn’t, as they just have to convince school administrators not everybody, which was their goal. Yes we all know they wouldn’t consider any zoom options whatsoever, even if you agree with them you believe that. 

Next time don’t attack attack me personally for misunderstanding me.
Very well, but that has nothing to do with this wrong and ignorant stuff.

Zoom isn’t all good,  it’s not good for older kids but is much better for younger kids. My daughters school is providing all day phone classes from pre school and up so they have an excuse to charge tuition.

Offline SamCan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2020, 01:06:53 AM »
Using the word wrong and ignorant doesn’t make it so, whatever someone else says is an opinion, unless it’s against the Torah or a verifiable fact.

Many Schools have or had some level of pressure to adopt zoom, and most schools don’t want to do it on haskafic grounds. This letter definitely helps the administrators.
We all knew the BMG poskim would never be matir any sort of zoom in the end, the same way we can predict what most outspoken rabbanoim will pasken on most well known haskafa questions.
They released a short letter, with no explanations, when combined with their haskafa, doesn’t allow me to believe they actually were considering any zoom classes seriously. If you know otherwise than you are right, and I take it back.