Topic Wiki

Online Passport Renewal: Use this link for the Google form

Dan's post describing his experience

After signing up for a Travel.gov account, it takes about 2.5-3 weeks for the invite to be able to renew online.
« Last edited by Dr Moose on March 31, 2022, 04:56:05 PM »

Author Topic: Passport applications and Passport Renewal  (Read 126746 times)

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Passport applications and Passport Renewal
« Reply #660 on: April 27, 2023, 07:18:41 PM »
thanks. I thought that option was for emergency travel - but flyingace said he's flying in 3 weeks. I have appointments in 3 weeks but looking to travel in 10 weeks. will be cutting very tight even with expedited. is the passport office an option this early?
Your appointment needs to be within 14 days of your flight. You can apply at the post office and then make an appointment if it’s not back in time.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #661 on: April 28, 2023, 12:55:32 AM »
thanks. I thought that option was for emergency travel - but flyingace said he's flying in 3 weeks. I have appointments in 3 weeks but looking to travel in 10 weeks. will be cutting very tight even with expedited. is the passport office an option this early?
Book a dummy refundable flight and now your flight is within a week. Be creative.

Your appointment needs to be within 14 days of your flight. You can apply at the post office and then make an appointment if it’s not back in time.
Why waste time and effort. Do it once at the passport office and no need to sit and check every day for an update if you do in the post office, and no need to waste as extra $35 for the service fee in both places.

Thanks! Got an appointed in Philly!
Curios for what date and when did you tell them your flight is?

Also when I went in DC they never asked to see my flight itinerary or confirmation. But would be really silly to be turned away because you were lazy to book and cancel a refundable fare. I just booked a flight within 24hrs on priceline.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline rbs-g1.5

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 28, 2023, 06:42:49 AM »
Book a dummy refundable flight and now your flight is within a week. Be creative.
 Why waste time and effort. Do it once at the passport office and no need to sit and check every day for an update if you do in the post office, and no need to waste as extra $35 for the service fee in both places.
 Also when I went in DC they never asked to see my flight itinerary or confirmation. But would be really silly to be turned away because you were lazy to book and cancel a refundable fare. I just booked a flight within 24hrs on priceline.
keep posting these ideas online and then wonder when they make it more difficult for people to get emergency passports

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 28, 2023, 09:28:41 AM »

They didn’t ask, just made it clear when you show up you must have a ticket for within 14 days. Booked and changed when I had a firm travel date. Seems to be not so challenging right now. I guess if it wouldn’t have worked out I would’ve gotten creative….

Offline Pupashtetl

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 28, 2023, 11:34:39 AM »
I went to the post office with my kids for renewals/new passports on 3/3, I have a flight to Israel 5/21. Did regular service, and was told the it would be on time. At this point it's showing online as processing. At which point do I have to nervous/call to expedite?

Thanks

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 28, 2023, 11:54:51 AM »
I went to the post office with my kids for renewals/new passports on 3/3, I have a flight to Israel 5/21. Did regular service, and was told the it would be on time. At this point it's showing online as processing. At which point do I have to nervous/call to expedite?

Thanks
You can call whenever, I would book an appointment for same day at a passport office for a day or two before your flight just in case....

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 28, 2023, 12:45:57 PM »
I would book an appointment for same day at a passport office for a day or two before your flight just in case....
What do you mean by this?

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 28, 2023, 01:30:54 PM »
What do you mean by this?
You can do a same day appt even if your application was previously mailed in.

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 28, 2023, 03:50:18 PM »
Where do you get that? Are you referring to the people who charge $$$ for next day appointments?

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 28, 2023, 03:59:51 PM »
Where do you get that? Are you referring to the people who charge $$$ for next day appointments?
No. You call a passport center in a city and make an appointment yourself. You pay for expedited but you have to go down yourself.

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 01, 2023, 08:50:05 AM »
No. You call a passport center in a city and make an appointment yourself. You pay for expedited but you have to go down yourself.
Can you please give an example? From what I'm told you can only make appointments by calling the national number and they only issue appointments within 2 weeks and don't have a lot of options once you're closer in than that.

Offline est

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 01, 2023, 05:42:24 PM »
You can call whenever, I would book an appointment for same day at a passport office for a day or two before your flight just in case....
why cant he just switch it to expedited? you need an appointment for that?

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 01, 2023, 09:30:04 PM »
Can you please give an example? From what I'm told you can only make appointments by calling the national number and they only issue appointments within 2 weeks and don't have a lot of options once you're closer in than that.
They issue appointments within two weeks of your flight afaik. Did you try? My son and nephew both got appointments in Philly that worked for them. Not sure what else you need to know…

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 02, 2023, 12:45:57 AM »
why cant he just switch it to expedited? you need an appointment for that?
Expedited means 8-11 weeks while standard is 11-13 weeks. Something g along those lines.
 Hopefully you understand the difference.
 While getting a same day appointment you get the passport the same day to take home.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 02, 2023, 05:13:03 PM »
They issue appointments within two weeks of your flight afaik. Did you try? My son and nephew both got appointments in Philly that worked for them. Not sure what else you need to know…
Lol. That's not what you said earlier.

Yes, they do give appointments within 2 weeks of your flight, however, they only do that if you haven't applied yet. If you already applied, they only allow you to schedule an appointment within 5 business days of your flight, and, with the current backlog, there are no appointments available within 5 days of your flight in the NYC area unless you are ready to go to Buffalo or pay $$$ for those with existing appointments.

I'm saying all this after having spent 5-6 hours on the phone over the last few days. My application finally switched to approved today.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #675 on: May 03, 2023, 11:33:39 AM »
Lol. That's not what you said earlier.
Yes, they do give appointments within 2 weeks of your flight, however, they only do that if you haven't applied yet. If you already applied, they only allow you to schedule an appointment within 5 business days of your flight, and, with the current backlog, there are no appointments available within 5 days of your flight in the NYC area unless you are ready to go to Buffalo or pay $$$ for those with existing appointments.

I'm saying all this after having spent 5-6 hours on the phone over the last few days. My application finally switched to approved today.
BTW it's 7 days, they tell you 5. And call 8am on the button like the wiki in the expedited thread to get the new appointments that became avlb for the 7th day.

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 03, 2023, 02:19:07 PM »
BTW it's 7 days, they tell you 5. And call 8am on the button like the wiki in the expedited thread to get the new appointments that became avlb for the 7th day.
It's 5 business days which usually equals 7 days.

I tried calling 8 sharp multiple times with no success. Are you sure they open more appointments 5 business days out? My impression was that they open them two weeks out (for those that didn't apply yet) and with the current backlog there are none left by the time you can call.

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 03, 2023, 02:23:33 PM »
Applied online Feb 8 nothing yet🤔
Applied online for renewal Feb 8, still showing in Process, is this standard? when should i expect it? On April 12 i received an email that they are reviewing my application and it's in process.

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 08, 2023, 12:16:57 AM »
Applied online for renewal Feb 8, still showing in Process, is this standard? when should i expect it? On April 12 i received an email that they are reviewing my application and it's in process.
BUMP. Any DP on this?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 08, 2023, 12:16:04 PM »
BUMP. Any DP on this?
Either wait if you are in no rush,or go for expedited if you need it asap.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 12:46:26 PM by myi »