Topic Wiki

Online Passport Renewal: Use this link for the Google form

Dan's post describing his experience

After signing up for a Travel.gov account, it takes about 2.5-3 weeks for the invite to be able to renew online.
« Last edited by Dr Moose on March 31, 2022, 04:56:05 PM »

Author Topic: Passport applications and Passport Renewal  (Read 122724 times)

Offline VacationLover

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Passport applications and Passport Renewal
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2020, 11:19:02 PM »
Hi,

Have same dilemma, my son's passport is first expiring in Dec. Hope to travel soon to Europe (mother is a european so should work even if child only US passport).

Passport isn't expired, but its within the 6 months. is this rule really enforced?
First reach out to the embassy where your mother lives to grant you a permit - (it is not so easy to obtain, you might have to say that your mother is old and sick etc. My family is also from Europe and several family members were denied exceptions to enter. They are racist's against USA citizens...)

then see if you can also get an approval for your son.

Regarding close to expiration passport IDK, I would assume if it's a minor traveling with parents it's likely to be allowed, but that's my assumption. Take along a copy of his birth certificate for a better chance.

Offline sruly101

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2020, 11:25:11 PM »
First reach out to the embassy where your mother lives to grant you a permit - (it is not so easy to obtain, you might have to say that your mother is old and sick etc. My family is also from Europe and several family members were denied exceptions to enter. They are racist's against USA citizens...)

then see if you can also get an approval for your son.

Regarding close to expiration passport IDK, I would assume if it's a minor traveling with parents it's likely to be allowed, but that's my assumption. Take along a copy of his birth certificate for a better chance.
Hi,

Thanks, Actually parent is traveling along. parent has european passport while not the child (and spouse)

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2020, 05:48:44 AM »
I renewed my daughter's passport today. I was told that the (State department's) passport processing offices are closed. I should not expect the passport before 10 weeks.
Passport arrived yesterday BH

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2020, 06:04:05 AM »
no, but if you have a ticket for within 36 hours it usually works. My brother (who lives in Israel, and wanted to get back home after having a baby a couple of weeks ago) made it last Friday, waited 5 hours and walked out with the passport.
Definitely the exception to the rule.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline NTorch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2020, 11:52:55 AM »
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/passport-covid-19.html

So based on this and their * should I bother applying for my kid or just wait until after the summer?

3. Are you making progress on U.S. passport applications?
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/passport-covid-19.html

Yes. Every Thursday, we will publish U.S. passport statistics in the table below so you can track our weekly progress as staff at our agencies and centers safely work on applications. This week, 14 of our agencies and centers moved to phase one of our three phase reopening plan. You can find historical U.S. passport statistics on our Reports and Statistics page.

Week (Thursday-Wednesday)   Applications Received   Passports Awaiting Issuance   Passports Issued
This Week (June 25-July 1)   133,000   1.51 million   236,000
Last Week (June 18-24)   134,000   1.61 million   187,000
2 Weeks Ago (June 11-17)   120,000   1.72 million   154,000
*The number of passports currently awaiting issuance is only a slight increase compared to what we have awaiting issuance in normal circumstances during June.

Offline KidOOO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2020, 02:46:43 PM »
Passport arrived yesterday BH
You renewed by mail? How long from when you sent it

Offline mgoldman

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2020, 05:22:10 PM »
Even non emergencies.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies/new-york.html
according to the link above they will process only life or death emergencies. i need to fly next week and i don't have a passport (just became a citizen) i cant find a way to get a passport. is it a option to fly out with my non us passport and make a new passport overseas?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2020, 07:13:21 PM »
according to the link above they will process only life or death emergencies. i need to fly next week and i don't have a passport (just became a citizen) i cant find a way to get a passport. is it a option to fly out with my non us passport and make a new passport overseas?
Sure, why do you need a US passport to leave?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline mgoldman

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2020, 07:24:20 PM »
Sure, why do you need a US passport to leave?
1-don't i need a US passport to go out of the US?
2-is there a way i can check if the us embassy in London will issue passport in 1 day? (need to go for 3 days) or maybe they have the same life or death only policy?
3-i am tiring to get my first time passport, any difference?
thanks in advance
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:34:19 PM by mgoldman »

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2020, 07:28:42 PM »
1-don't i need a US passport to go out of the US?
2-is there a way i can check if the us embassy in London will issue passport in 1 day? (need to go for 3 days) or maybe they have the same life or death only policy?
thanks in advance
1. Of course not. The US doesn't require any passport to leave, and the airlines will carry you as long as you have a passport that can get you into your destination. You don't need it come in either, just proof of citizenship, but may be a headache with the airlines if your other passport requires a visa to enter the US.
2. Their website?

Offline mgoldman

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2020, 07:36:04 PM »
1. Of course not. The US doesn't require any passport to leave, and the airlines will carry you as long as you have a passport that can get you into your destination. You don't need it come in either, just proof of citizenship, but may be a headache with the airlines if your other passport requires a visa to enter the US.
2. Their website?
no clear answer on the website, will call tomorrow
thank you for your help

Offline Hjay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2020, 09:14:18 AM »
I was going to apply for a passport in NJ for my baby. A friend of mine told me that he himself as well as two other ppl he knows applies in Brooklyn & got their passport just 2 weeks later. Anybody else have any DPs about applying for a new passport & how long it took them to get it or rather not to get it? I’m wondering if I should go to that specific location he used as maybe something is different there.

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2020, 10:43:26 AM »
I was going to apply for a passport in NJ for my baby. A friend of mine told me that he himself as well as two other ppl he knows applies in Brooklyn & got their passport just 2 weeks later. Anybody else have any DPs about applying for a new passport & how long it took them to get it or rather not to get it? I’m wondering if I should go to that specific location he used as maybe something is different there.
I went to the Toms River post office on 7/8 with my kids, I got their passports in the begining of last week.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Sowhat

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2020, 11:46:37 AM »
There is another thread on this board that also discusses this. It seems like it's hit-and-miss as to when the passport will arrive. My daughter's passport expires in November and she's traveling October. We hope. There's no consensus as to when the new passport will be delivered and we are holding on to her old one after being assured that the airline will not enforce the 6-month rule.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2020, 11:54:16 AM »
There is another thread on this board that also discusses this. It seems like it's hit-and-miss as to when the passport will arrive. My daughter's passport expires in November and she's traveling October. We hope. There's no consensus as to when the new passport will be delivered and we are holding on to her old one after being assured that the airline will not enforce the 6-month rule.
It's not a hit or miss, it depends on your situation. Renewals going to Texas (including NY residents) are already delayed a few months. I haven't seen any data points about renewals going to Philadelphia, but if they're anything like new applications sent to Philadelphia they'll be processed right away.

Offline KidOOO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2020, 09:00:32 PM »
It's not a hit or miss, it depends on your situation. Renewals going to Texas (including NY residents) are already delayed a few months. I haven't seen any data points about renewals going to Philadelphia, but if they're anything like new applications sent to Philadelphia they'll be processed right away.

So if I'm applying for a new passport for a newborn it will go to Philadelphia and process quickly?

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2020, 09:04:32 PM »
So if I'm applying for a new passport for a newborn it will go to Philadelphia and process quickly?
I applied for my kids in Toms River PO on 7/8, and they told me it's sent to philly. I received the passports less than 3 weeks later. Based on that, it's likely to be processed very quickly.

Offline shulemw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2020, 08:22:26 PM »
Any way to get a passport within a week?
Just realized I lost my passport and I am flying in 10 days

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2020, 10:38:55 PM »
I went to the Toms River post office on 7/8 with my kids, I got their passports in the begining of last week.

I went to the The County Connection in the Ocean County Mall. Applied on 8/3 received on 8/22.

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2020, 08:32:32 PM »
Anyone do a new passport in Jackson NJ? Do they send to Philly?