Topic Wiki

Online Passport Renewal: Use this link for the Google form

Dan's post describing his experience

After signing up for a Travel.gov account, it takes about 2.5-3 weeks for the invite to be able to renew online.
« Last edited by Dr Moose on March 31, 2022, 04:56:05 PM »

Author Topic: Passport applications and Passport Renewal  (Read 122786 times)

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Passport applications and Passport Renewal
« Reply #460 on: June 23, 2022, 07:10:59 PM »
My son is over 16 but never had a 10 year passport can I renew it online or does it need to be both a 10 year passport and over 16?
I believe it still needs to be in person.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 23, 2022, 07:13:45 PM »
I believe it still needs to be in person.
And how does one do that?

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 23, 2022, 07:15:56 PM »
And how does one do that?
I was answering @Meirbresh

I wish I knew the answer to your question so I can help those who have helped me but alas, I'm not familiar with the latest options and time-frames.

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 24, 2022, 08:41:13 AM »
I applied for an infant passport 5 weeks ago at USPS acceptance facility.
The check cleared 4 weeks ago but the passport is still not showing in the system.
We're traveling in 7+ weeks.
Should I be concerned?
If I needed to get another one at a Passport facility, I would first need to get a new birth certificate so we they have the original.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 24, 2022, 08:51:24 AM »
I have a business flight on July 26. What is the most up to date advice on how to get an expired passport renewed in time without any aggravation. I am willing to pay to avoid aggravation.

Welcome back to DDF, Freddie!

The cheap non-aggrevation way that will cost you time:
Call at exactly 7:58am to book a passport appointment in Stamford CT, tell them your travel is within 14 days, book a refundable ticket within 14 days and bring that as proof to your appointment (they don’t verify it on the phone), fill out the passport application in advance and have passport pics and money order with you when you arrive. Will cost you two trips to/from Stamford (likely closer than Manhattan from where you live, p.s. time to update your DDF bio :P) plus whatever the actual renewal/expedite costs are. Perhaps they’ll mail you the passport using their express option, but I don’t think they would.

Option 2, pay an expediter/service to handle this for you. Not sure which one to recommend but I imagine if they’re charging $500 for the service and have good reviews online, they’re delivering on their promises.

Personally I’m flying before you and applied online using the newly launched (in beta testing) online renewal option. But that was adventurous on my part (they ask you to state you don’t plan on travelling within 5 weeks), and might result in aggravation for me. We’ll see what happens.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 08:55:14 AM by AsherO »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: June 24, 2022, 09:20:24 AM »
Personally I’m flying before you and applied online using the newly launched (in beta testing) online renewal option. But that was adventurous on my part (they ask you to state you don’t plan on travelling within 5 weeks), and might result in aggravation for me. We’ll see what happens.

Just quoting this as a quick reminder.

At the 5 week mark the expedited (5-7 week processing) option becomes free. I added it to my order on Wednesday, and my passport shipped today!

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 24, 2022, 09:35:09 AM »
Just quoting this as a quick reminder.

Only works if you have the time, Freddie and I are traveling within 5 weeks
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 24, 2022, 02:00:01 PM »
Only works if you have the time, Freddie and I are traveling within 5 weeks
It didn't take 5 weeks. Once I selected that option it shipped within 2 days (won't work for Freddie but could still work for you depending on how long ago you applied. Possibly also ships in 2 days if you add it now as a paid option if you're not within the free time frame yet, but didn't see any DPs on that).

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 24, 2022, 04:42:38 PM »
Welcome back to DDF, Freddie!

The cheap non-aggrevation way that will cost you time:
Call at exactly 7:58am to book a passport appointment in Stamford CT, tell them your travel is within 14 days, book a refundable ticket within 14 days and bring that as proof to your appointment (they don’t verify it on the phone), fill out the passport application in advance and have passport pics and money order with you when you arrive. Will cost you two trips to/from Stamford (likely closer than Manhattan from where you live, p.s. time to update your DDF bio :P) plus whatever the actual renewal/expedite costs are. Perhaps they’ll mail you the passport using their express option, but I don’t think they would.

Option 2, pay an expediter/service to handle this for you. Not sure which one to recommend but I imagine if they’re charging $500 for the service and have good reviews online, they’re delivering on their promises.

Thanks for the welcome, @AsherO. Yeah, so some Satmar dude I spoke to on the phone said he could get me an appointment for $400. All he does is give you a time slot. He provides no other service. He says I will receive the passport in hand the day of the appointment. I'd gladly pay extra to avoid having to go in to the passport office. Only requirement is that I must have the passport within 3 weeks.

So, question: 1) Do I really need this guy's "service" or can I get an appointment myself by calling at 7:58 AM? 2) Is there someone who provides the entire service from soup to nuts?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 24, 2022, 04:50:52 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, @AsherO. Yeah, so some Satmar dude I spoke to on the phone said he could get me an appointment for $400. All he does is give you a time slot. He provides no other service. He says I will receive the passport in hand the day of the appointment. I'd gladly pay extra to avoid having to go in to the passport office. Only requirement is that I must have the passport within 3 weeks.

So, question: 1) Do I really need this guy's "service" or can I get an appointment myself by calling at 7:58 AM? 2) Is there someone who provides the entire service from soup to nuts?

1. I’m confident you could get the appointment yourself based on my own experience, especially if you go to Stamford CT (but probably if not).
2. Pre-COVID there were derives that did soup-to-nuts, I’m not sure if that’s a thing anymore. $400 for an appointment sounds high, but if that’s what an appointment cost then the soup-to-nuts might be much higher.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 24, 2022, 04:53:12 PM »
1. I’m confident you could get the appointment yourself based on my own experience, especially if you go to Stamford CT (but probably if not).
2. Pre-COVID there were derives that did soup-to-nuts, I’m not sure if that’s a thing anymore. $400 for an appointment sounds high, but if that’s what an appointment cost then the soup-to-nuts might be much higher.

The question is, if I have to call Stamford at 7:58AM, should I stay up all night or try to get up early? And do I have to daven first before calling? And if so, maybe we can learn chasidus that morning together.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 25, 2022, 11:24:24 PM »
The question is, if I have to call Stamford at 7:58AM, should I stay up all night or try to get up early? And do I have to daven first before calling? And if so, maybe we can learn chasidus that morning together.

Whoa, now that’s an offer I can’t refuse :P

For best results you should say tikkun Chatzos at midnight, learn zohar all night, and recite tikkun klali before you call at 7:58am.

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 25, 2022, 11:34:44 PM »

Hello!

If you can get an appointment in CT by calling and the appointment works with your time frame then that is your best / cheapest option.

If you can't give yourself an Aitzeh, I believe $400 is considered a good price these days. I believe they charge $1000 to get same or next day appointments!
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #473 on: June 26, 2022, 03:24:46 AM »

Are you sure he was Satmar?

Calling in the morning 2 weeks out you should be able to get Manhattan as well

Offline Abebee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 735
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE
« Reply #474 on: June 26, 2022, 08:48:40 AM »
I called 7:59 2 weeks before my flight and got an appointment in Manhattan office. (Imho i don't think its worth anywere near $400 to secure the appointment)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 26, 2022, 09:21:11 AM »
Are you sure he was Satmar?

Calling in the morning 2 weeks out you should be able to get Manhattan as well

The reason I suggested Stamford is because I think Freddie will have more appointment options there and getting to/from that office and getting processed there might be less of a hassle than Manhattan for him. I might be mistaken.

Offline Jack out of the box

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase UR, BA Avios, AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, SPG
« Reply #476 on: July 01, 2022, 03:35:04 AM »
Some hagahos:
For best results you should say get up for tikkun Chatzos at midnight, learn zohar all night, daven vasikin, and recite tikkun klali before you call at 7:58am.

Offline Dave321

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 04, 2022, 02:26:04 PM »
I applied for a passport first time for my kid and got regular service. I now would like to get it expedited. What's the process? so far 2 plus hour hold time to call.
how fast can i get it if i do get through to someone?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 04, 2022, 07:46:29 PM »
I applied for a passport first time for my kid and got regular service. I now would like to get it expedited. What's the process? so far 2 plus hour hold time to call.
how fast can i get it if i do get through to someone?

Officially the expedite gets you to 5-7 weeks from the time of application, but it seems you can call to expedite from 3 weeks after and reportedly it soon switches to a processing queue when people get it quickly, hard to say for sure though.

Call at 7:58am and get through to the queue at exactly 8am, you’ll skip the hold times.

Offline njmacman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 04, 2022, 08:26:28 PM »
Officially the expedite gets you to 5-7 weeks from the time of application, but it seems you can call to expedite from 3 weeks after and reportedly it soon switches to a processing queue when people get it quickly, hard to say for sure though.

Call at 7:58am and get through to the queue at exactly 8am, you’ll skip the hold times.
What is the phone number?