Topic Wiki

Online Passport Renewal: Use this link for the Google form

Dan's post describing his experience

After signing up for a Travel.gov account, it takes about 2.5-3 weeks for the invite to be able to renew online.
« Last edited by Dr Moose on March 31, 2022, 04:56:05 PM »

Author Topic: Passport applications and Passport Renewal  (Read 125588 times)

Offline peace123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Passport applications and Passport Renewal
« Reply #600 on: February 04, 2023, 11:30:03 PM »
my  passport is about to expire very soon. actually i had the extra pages added to my passport . many airport agent and immigration agent around the world seems to be confused and looks at the tape and seems confused. so form now on, i wont add extra pages even if i have years left. will just renew with most pages and then let it expire and not add extra pages.

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #601 on: February 05, 2023, 01:11:56 AM »
my  passport is about to expire very soon. actually i had the extra pages added to my passport . many airport agent and immigration agent around the world seems to be confused and looks at the tape and seems confused. so form now on, i wont add extra pages even if i have years left. will just renew with most pages and then let it expire and not add extra pages.
IIRC they stopped adding pages to passports as of Jan 2016

Offline hr555

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 06, 2023, 07:02:27 PM »
Is a passport issued using DS-5504 at age 16 (to correct BOD) later eligible for mail in renewal?

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 07, 2023, 12:52:26 AM »
just renewed online without choosing any faster processing and no travel dates added cos I am not in rush and have no travel plans yet.

Offline aishel

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 07, 2023, 05:04:07 PM »
I just posted this on another forum, but online passport renewal was shut down at 1pm.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=132315.0

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 07, 2023, 10:57:22 PM »
I just posted this on another forum, but online passport renewal was shut down at 1pm.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=132315.0
Interesting. I submitted my renewal at 4:15pm today.

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 09, 2023, 12:57:19 AM »
IIRC they stopped adding pages to passports as of Jan 2016
thats good cos many foriegn immigraiton officers are clueless about this with one agent in Nepal saying" we were not educated. made aware of US passport having option for extra pages.  same with india.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 09, 2023, 07:42:54 AM »
Interesting. I submitted my renewal at 4:15pm today.

Apparently as long as you created an account before you can continue with online renewal.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 09, 2023, 10:46:49 AM »
Apparently as long as you created an account before you can continue with online renewal.
Makes sense.

Offline Pupashtetl

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 19, 2023, 12:50:37 AM »
How long is it these days from a passport appointment to getting the actual passport? I have an appointment 9 weeks before I'm traveling, is that sufficient?

Offline shopcomputer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
    • nysolutions.com
« Reply #610 on: February 19, 2023, 12:05:56 PM »
How long is it these days from a passport appointment to getting the actual passport? I have an appointment 9 weeks before I'm traveling, is that sufficient?
usually enough even with standard non expedited service.

Offline Mendel72

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 21, 2023, 03:37:45 PM »
Old one still works

I can now confirm - just travelled to Israel and back using my old passport (the way back was after the new passport was issued). There were no issues.

Offline lifetimedeals

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 01, 2023, 02:39:55 PM »
Anyone know how long the process is now to get Passport Renewal shipped? We did it online on 1/8 still shows in process.

Offline yg99

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 01, 2023, 02:42:07 PM »
Took 9-10 weeks for me recently

Offline Mendel72

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 01, 2023, 03:28:13 PM »
Approx. 9 weeks for me.

Offline Planet

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: March 09, 2023, 07:24:54 AM »
The Limited Release of Online Passport Renewal is Currently Paused.

An email from MyTravelGov reads:

Thank you for your interest in Online Passport Renewal. You are receiving this message based on your request for access to the limited release of our online passport renewal application. As of today, our records indicate you have not started or submitted an online application. We wanted to let you know that on March 8, 2023, we paused our limited release of the online application, so that we can introduce improvements based on user feedback; while we make these changes, your MyTravelGov account no longer includes the option to renew online.

During our limited release, over 500,000 customers volunteered to submit their passport applications online and test our system. We look forward to launching the enhanced application in a full, nationwide release later this year and will provide updates on our Renew Online webpage.

While the online application is not currently available, you can still renew your passport by mail if you are eligible.

Offline sds1493

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 10, 2023, 02:17:23 AM »
Took me 8 business days applying from South Africa.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #617 on: March 10, 2023, 03:19:26 AM »
The embassy in IL seems to be working extra hard these days. They send out messages regarding their passport / CRBA system every few weeks. Just got this today:

March 10, 2023

Subject: Message for U.S. Citizens: New Guidelines for Emergency Appointments

Emergency Passport Appointments Are Only for Passport Renewals for Documented U.S. Citizens

Over the last 18 months, we have made multiple attempts to provide avenues for those who have emergency travel to the United States to get a limited-validity, emergency passport.  Please understand that for us emergency means the death or illness of a loved one in the United States.  It does not mean a trip to bring a new baby to meet their U.S. relatives. The previous urgent appointment system had to be taken offline because of the sheer number of non-urgent appointment requests.

On February 6, we introduced a new system for emergency passports, including daily workday releases of emergency appointments, to facilitate this. Under the new system anyone who gets an emergency appointment only gets an emergency passport with a purple cover, valid for less than one year.  You should understand there is no such thing as an emergency Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).  We will never issue those through the emergency passport appointment system.

Unfortunately, even this system is being abused as we continue to see far too many applicants who do not actually have urgent, emergency U.S. travel. In particular, it is often used for first-time passports for infants who apply for an emergency passport and then return to us soon after for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), without ever using the emergency passport for travel. This steals available appointments from people who truly need them.

Therefore, effective Monday, March 13, emergency appointments will be limited to those who are already documented as U.S. citizens and need to apply for a passport using form DS-11.  No passport applications for undocumented applicants will be accepted, including children.  There are no exceptions to this policy (which will be explicitly stated on the Emergency Appointment selection button on the scheduling website).

This revised policy will allow us to schedule additional CRBA appointments for those who are trying to document their children as U.S. citizens and to receive a first-time passport, and better serve the entire U.S. citizen community.

If your current passport is valid through end of your planned trip, or if your previous passport is still valid or expired less than five years ago, you are not eligible to make an emergency appointment.  The fastest way to seek an emergency passport is to drop your complete DS-82 application in the drop box at the Embassy in Jerusalem (make sure to write ”URGENT” or “EMERGENCY TRAVEL” on the envelope). Alternatively, you can send your DS-82 to either of our locations with the same annotation.  Then send a note through the online inquiry system that it has been submitted so we can be on the lookout for it.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline rbs-g1.5

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 12, 2023, 02:33:33 PM »
The embassy in IL seems to be working extra hard to make things difficult[/b]. They send out messages regarding their passport / CRBA system every few weeks. Just got this today:

March 10, 2023

Subject: Message for U.S. Citizens: New Guidelines for Emergency Appointments

Emergency Passport Appointments Are Only for Passport Renewals for Documented U.S. Citizens

Therefore, effective Monday, March 13, emergency appointments will be limited to those who are already documented as U.S. citizens and need to apply for a passport using form DS-11.  No passport applications for undocumented applicants will be accepted, including children.  There are no exceptions to this policy (which will be explicitly stated on the Emergency Appointment selection button on the scheduling website).

This revised policy will make sure newborns cannot fly for pesach
FTFY
https://chaimvchessed.com/updates/disappointing-announcement-from-us-embassy-in-israel/

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #619 on: March 13, 2023, 11:31:57 AM »
FTFY
https://chaimvchessed.com/updates/disappointing-announcement-from-us-embassy-in-israel/
Read that too. Did you read what the embassy wrote, or what they have been writing since this nonsense began during COVID?

This from their message:
Unfortunately, even this system is being abused as we continue to see far too many applicants who do not actually have urgent, emergency U.S. travel. In particular, it is often used for first-time passports for infants who apply for an emergency passport and then return to us soon after for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), without ever using the emergency passport for travel. This steals available appointments from people who truly need them.

They have also written in the past about large numbers of appointments made and then not shown up for. There are people out there (I know a few) making money selling appointments, and they are likely the reason that there are never enough anymore. Do you blame them for getting frustrated by the selfish and limiting their resources to the narrowest interpretation? I understand frustration about newborns not being able to travel - I do. But let me ask you: if they had to cut something, surely that is the least-needed emergency? Perhaps?

Chaim v'Chessed will surely talk to them and ensure they understand this is a common need, and reasonable to provide to US citizens who had a baby in February and want to fly home for Pesach. But take a second and look at it from their perspective!
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!