Topic Wiki

Online Passport Renewal: Use this link for the Google form

Dan's post describing his experience

After signing up for a Travel.gov account, it takes about 2.5-3 weeks for the invite to be able to renew online.
« Last edited by Dr Moose on March 31, 2022, 04:56:05 PM »

Author Topic: Passport applications and Passport Renewal  (Read 122720 times)

Offline rbs-g1.5

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Passport applications and Passport Renewal
« Reply #620 on: March 13, 2023, 03:43:44 PM »
I am looking at it from a perspective of them not providing the services they should for a few years now. I  also see no connection between this and the issue of people selling appointments.

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #621 on: March 14, 2023, 05:01:26 AM »
I  also see no connection between this and the issue of people selling appointments.
They were closed because the IL government said they should (and they decided to listen, for whatever reason). Then they had a backlog. That backlog was exacerbated by the people who sold appointments, and still is. Without the people selling appointments, there would be far less appointments that no one showed up to (which is surely people who are not invested in the outcome - aka them - and no one else - because why in the world would you not show up for your hard-to-get appointment!?). There would also not be people who showed up for emergency appointments who didn't need them ("I have no normal appointments for three weeks, but for $300 I can get you an emergency appointment on Monday").

I am looking at it from a perspective of them not providing the services they should for a few years now.
The appointment crisis is artificial.
Full disclosure, of course: since COVID I have renewed my own passport by mail (and got visas for my whole family renewed), renewed my seven-year-old's passport before her insurance stopped working, got a passport and CRBA appointment for my now two-year-old four months after he was born (and passport arrived three weeks later), and I have an appointment to renew my four-year-old's passport in July, three months before hers expires. If I can do it, anyone can do it. You just need to be roeh es hanolad.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 14, 2023, 11:48:46 AM »
The fact is, they have had years to devise an appointment system that cannot be gamed by brokers, and have utterly failed...
Some possible suggestions -
CRBA's that are tied to the parents passport/ss number, and can be booked before birth.
Automaticly give the option for "emergency" passports for crba's - i.e. printed in israel but not same day service.
A electronic waiting room for appointments - get in an eline after providing passport #, and when appointments open up, the next 50 people in line can choose an appointment - or give up place in line - no more "fastest fingers game" on wendsdays to grab appointments
Remove the ability for brokers to change the details on an appointment - i.e. canceled appointment slots get released at the next schedualed release time (wednsdays), and not immediately when canceled.
Create seperate lines for 1) crba/passports needed for Bituach Leumi 2) crba/passports needed for immediate travel - possibly by reduced 3 month validity - not valid for BL 3) True emergency travel - medical/berevement - no crba, passport valid for one flight/entrance to the US only.
You can only get an appointment AFTER you submit all the needed documents digitaly.
Canceled appointments get offered to the next in line, not up for grabs...

Like @mevinyavin since corona i've gotten three crba's (two kids, and a nephew) without too much difficulty, you just have to work on it before you're roeh es hanolad.

Unfortunately, even this system is being abused as we continue to see far too many applicants who do not actually have urgent, emergency U.S. travel. In particular, it is often used for first-time passports for infants who apply for an emergency passport and then return to us soon after for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), without ever using the emergency passport for travel.
The working assumption till now, as comunicated BY THE EMBASSY, was that emergency appointments are available for non-israeli citizens who need a passport for Bituach Leumi!. Of course they werent used for immediate travel!

Agreed, the timing of this change from the consulate is CRUEL.  And the change at this late date does not allow for booking non urgent appointments before pesach. It's like there was a change of staff in the embassy and they have no idea what the needs of their population are.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 12:04:02 PM by yfr bachur »

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #623 on: March 14, 2023, 12:52:07 PM »
The fact is, they have had years to devise an appointment system that cannot be gamed by brokers, and have utterly failed...
Some possible suggestions -
Several excellent points. I agree the embassy really should have figured out some way to stop the brokers, and there are quite a few obvious mehalchim that they were not willing to implement (I CANNOT believe Chaim vChessed didn't have at least some of these suggestions for them).

The working assumption till now, as comunicated BY THE EMBASSY, was that emergency appointments are available for non-israeli citizens who need a passport for Bituach Leumi!. Of course they werent used for immediate travel!

Agreed, the timing of this change from the consulate is CRUEL.  And the change at this late date does not allow for booking non urgent appointments before pesach. It's like there was a change of staff in the embassy and they have no idea what the needs of their population are.
Regarding this first point: emergency appointments for passports for Bituach Leumi were issued as regular appointments, when you asked them for it. (I sent them an email stating that my passport would expire and leave my family without coverage. They gave me a normal appointment. I got a 10 year passport.)
Dunno, maybe people pretended they needed to travel and really just needed Bituach Leumi (or maybe the broker said whatever lie would work).
And yes, the consulate doesn't seem to have a clue what we citizens need - its like they think this is some tourist country and not a place where US citizens live semi-permanently or more than that. And Chaim vChessed should be the ones they ask if only they would get off their high horses.
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Jack out of the box

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase UR, BA Avios, AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, SPG
« Reply #624 on: March 17, 2023, 07:08:04 AM »
I've been saying for a while now that probably the biggest problem at the US Embassy in Israel is unwillingness to provide enough staff. I've been there 2 or 3 times since Covid began and each time there was no shortage of applicants and it took a very long time there. (Makes you wonder which of the people on line is a "no-show".) If they would double the staff I don't think anyone would be bored. It is unacceptable for the US Government to withhold from US citizens very basic services. We pay way more than enough for those CRBAs and passports that we should at least expect to be granted our rights. Now I see some people got the issue up to congressional levels.
https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/2174184/demanding-answers-bipartisan-congressmen-pen-letter-to-state-dept-over-passport-crisis-in-israel.html

Social Security services are even worse, whether for SSN applications or for retiree benefits, etc. there is absolutely no service. We're pretty much on our own. As I tax preparer, I have witnessed many clients missing out on many thousands of $ in tax refunds just because they were denied their right to a Social Security number.

Offline Onefishtwofish

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 20, 2023, 11:25:12 AM »
What is the quickest way to renew a passport for a international flight before pesach? A application was for renewal as submitted in February.

Offline lifetimedeals

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 20, 2023, 01:02:02 PM »
Anyone know how long the process is now to get Passport Renewal shipped? We did it online on 1/8 still shows in process.
Been 10 weeks now and still shows in process, anything can be done ? How much longer Do I need to wait?

Offline Live N Learn

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 21, 2023, 01:27:05 AM »
Any recent DP's on turnaround time for standard processing when applying for first-time minor at a post office? TIA
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 21, 2023, 04:15:57 AM »
Re: Emergency passports for infants in Israel
Chaim V’Chessed is pleased to relate that today, the US Embassy reversed last week’s announcement. Effective immediately, the Embassy has reinstated emergency passport appointments for newborns. Though only a limited number of appointments are available, some Chaim V’chessed clients have already received emergency appointments this afternoon.

EDIT: Dan got there first.
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/israel/us-embassy-israel-allowing-newborn-emergency-passport-appointments/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 05:06:19 AM by mevinyavin »

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 21, 2023, 11:40:34 AM »
Any recent DP's on turnaround time for standard processing when applying for first-time minor at a post office? TIA
I'm about a month in and waiting. FWIW, I was told that if you use the form filler, it generates a barcode at the bottom of the application that the DoS can scan and that expedites processing.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #630 on: March 21, 2023, 01:06:14 PM »
I'm about a month in and waiting. FWIW, I was told that if you use the form filler, it generates a barcode at the bottom of the application that the DoS can scan and that expedites processing.
Is this for renewal, first time applicant or both?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 22, 2023, 08:58:29 AM »
Is this for renewal, first time applicant or both?
Both.

Offline Onefishtwofish

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 22, 2023, 09:35:02 AM »
What is the quickest way to renew a passport for a international flight before pesach? A application was for renewal as submitted in February.

Anyone have suggestions what to do.

Offline Naftuli19

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #633 on: March 23, 2023, 11:47:36 AM »
Are there any DP on flying to IL within 3m of passport expiring ( leaving Israel before passport expires)?
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline yg1836

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 23, 2023, 11:56:23 AM »
Heads up!! As of March 8, you can no longer renew your passport online, until they update their system.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew-online.html

Offline Spoon

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 23, 2023, 12:46:24 PM »
Are there any DP on flying to IL within 3m of passport expiring ( leaving Israel before passport expires)?

Did so 11 months ago with no issue

Offline YOSSI170

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 23, 2023, 04:07:27 PM »

Took about 6 weeks for me

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #637 on: March 23, 2023, 09:26:58 PM »
Took about 6 weeks for me
Mine been around 4 weeks already. But called today to have them push a notification through and if nothing doing I'll have to schedule an appointment for expedited services and pay then $60 (and $19.50 for the shipping while I'm at it.) Which is not necessary, but will pay for.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 09:32:15 PM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #638 on: March 26, 2023, 10:00:30 PM »
Anyone recently applied for an adult renewal by mail (standard service) and could tell me how long it took?

Offline monsey yid

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 27, 2023, 10:30:21 PM »
Did so 11 months ago with no issue

No issues
If you like my post give me a like!