Poll

Will there be sleep away summer camp this year?

Yes
12 (20.7%)
NO
33 (56.9%)
Only second month
13 (22.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: April 17, 2020, 03:42:36 PM

Author Topic: Will there be Sleep Away Camp this summer?  (Read 173815 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Will there be Sleep Away Camp this summer?
« Reply #500 on: June 16, 2020, 07:48:49 PM »
My son was BH accepted today for sleep away camp. I sincerely hope this will give a headstart in healing the damage done over the past 3 months.

I honestly don't see a reason for fear at an overnight camp. Those that come from communities that have over 70% exposure to the virus, are most likely immune. The others will either not get it from the immune bunch, or will be easily contained.
Do you have an actual source for this? Not a senior Hatzalah member, a real medical source. I’m genuinely curious where you got this from, the concept that exposure = immune
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #501 on: June 16, 2020, 08:09:04 PM »
Glad to hear your kids had a grand time.

Uh, what? How'd you get that from what I wrote?

Mine were b"h not miserable because we were able to afford leaving the city for the last 2 months, however I know loads of kids who live in cramped quarters and yes it is/was very difficult for them and their parents. They were very very much looking forward to getting a break by going to camp.

Great. Again, nothing to do with anything.

I'm not comparing anything to flu or other virus, just saying the likelihood of this breaking out is the same or similar to likelihood of something else breaking out. I'd be concerned about a flu outbreak just the same even without comparing it at all to coronavirus.

This is just patently false. I can't believe that anyone still believes this at this point in the game. There is absolutely no data anywhere that suggests that this is even remotely true.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #502 on: June 16, 2020, 08:11:32 PM »
Again, I understand the reasoning behind sending. I don't understand the reasoning for not asking for outbreak contingencies.

As an aside, the camp that was supposed to only be for kids from CH is now having kids come from PA, NJ, DE, MD, and FL (possibly more, those are just what I know). So that 70% is nowhere close to 70% anymore. You have kids from many communities, and kids flying in. Not saying that will change anything for most parents, but the facts are different than what many believe.

I'm aware. The 70%+ is for the Crown Heights kids. They aren't getting infected or infecting anyone. As matter of fact I think there's an argument to be made that an outbreak is less likely than a flu outbreak in any given year.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 16, 2020, 08:15:46 PM »
My son was BH accepted today for sleep away camp. I sincerely hope this will give a headstart in healing the damage done over the past 3 months.

I honestly don't see a reason for fear at an overnight camp. Those that come from communities that have over 70% exposure to the virus, are most likely immune. The others will either not get it from the immune bunch, or will be easily contained.
In which state is the camp your child is going to?
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #504 on: June 16, 2020, 08:47:18 PM »
In which state is the camp your child is going to?

Was originally planned for MD. Not sure if that will actually be the location.
-- Dan

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 16, 2020, 09:09:44 PM »

I'm not comparing anything to flu or other virus, just saying the likelihood of this breaking out is the same or similar to likelihood of something else breaking out. I'd be concerned about a flu outbreak just the same even without comparing it at all to coronavirus.
Y'all got to check out this Allan Shernan song... worst doomsday scenario with Corona can not possibly be worse than this.

https://youtu.be/EzErh_s62Wk
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 16, 2020, 09:44:05 PM »
Uh, what? How'd you get that from what I wrote?

From the quotes on 3-4 months of misery. Sorry of I misunderstood.

Great. Again, nothing to do with anything.

It does as you are arguing against having camp. Just telling you why so many are desperate to send.

This is just patently false. I can't believe that anyone still believes this at this point in the game. There is absolutely no data anywhere that suggests that this is even remotely true.

Which part is false??? That I'd be concerned about a flu outbreak? I would be. That flu or other virus has the same likelihood of breaking out as Corona? Well, what data do you have to back up stating otherwise?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #507 on: June 16, 2020, 10:22:42 PM »
From the quotes on 3-4 months of misery. Sorry of I misunderstood.

The quotes were around your words, illustrating that anyone who has just gone through 3-4 months of misery should know better than to compare this to the flu or some other virus.

It does as you are arguing against having camp. Just telling you why so many are desperate to send.

I'm not arguing against having camp. Please show me what I wrote that led you to believe that. I clearly stated I understand why camps are opening and why parents are ok with the risks of sending them. I do not understand the possibility of camps lacking clear plans in case of an outbreak, nor the parents' apparent willingness to ignore the lack of plans.

Which part is false??? That I'd be concerned about a flu outbreak? I would be. That flu or other virus has the same likelihood of breaking out as Corona? Well, what data do you have to back up stating otherwise?

I don't know why you'd be concerned with a flu outbreak in the middle of the summer. I'm not saying you aren't concerned, but I don't know why you would be. What's patently false is that a Covid outbreak is as likely as the flu in the summer or "some other virus." As for data, go to Google and search "pandemic." You may get a few hits.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 10:33:17 PM by Lurker »

Offline El Capitan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Haha I wish!
« Reply #508 on: June 16, 2020, 10:43:21 PM »
CGI Parksville
Dear Parents,
Over the past 24 hours we have had some inquires about a day camp option. We have a very devoted staff that feel extremely motivated to make it happen and be able to give the kids a chance to spend most of their week in Gan Yisroel.
This is a brand new idea for us and we need to know how many parents would be interested in this option. The day would start at 10:00am and end at 9:00pm Sunday through Thursday and half day on Friday giving the boys a true full day of camp. We would serve the boys 3 meals a day plus snack. Camp would start on July 6 and run through August 26. It would be for boys in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th grade.The boys would have a full program of learning classes, variety of sports and leagues, swimming, boating, biking, arts and crafts, cook outs even experience a Gan Yisroel color war and lots of in house entertainment. We are looking into offering bus transportation from 3 or 4 central locations in the Catskill area.
If there are any boys that may have non immediate family that live upstate for the summer perhaps they can stay with them. We are working feverishly on all the details of how to make a smooth transition from overnight camp to day camp. It really depends on how many families are interested in order to make it work. Again we stress how we will need a few days to see how many people get back to us and confirm that they are indeed interested and than we can open registration for Gan Yisroel day camp.
If you are interested in this please email us at: cginewyork@gmail.com
Rabbi Yossie Futerfas
Still looking for a good MS method :)

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 16, 2020, 11:38:12 PM »
The quotes were around your words, illustrating that anyone who has just gone through 3-4 months of misery should know better than to compare this to the flu or some other virus.

I'm not arguing against having camp. Please show me what I wrote that led you to believe that. I clearly stated I understand why camps are opening and why parents are ok with the risks of sending them. I do not understand the possibility of camps lacking clear plans in case of an outbreak, nor the parents' apparent willingness to ignore the lack of plans.

I don't know why you'd be concerned with a flu outbreak in the middle of the summer. I'm not saying you aren't concerned, but I don't know why you would be. What's patently false is that a Covid outbreak is as likely as the flu in the summer or "some other virus." As for data, go to Google and search "pandemic." You may get a few hits.

All camps already said they have plans in place even before the ban was announced. The fact that they haven't made it public doesn't mean that they won't disclose it to you upon request. I would assume they would be fine to do so. Let me know if you find otherwise.

Just to correct myself, I would be concerned with flu OR any other type of outbreak. And there can be others. It just doesn't occur to us that it may happen. So perhaps seasonal flu specifically is not of concern, but that is not to say there aren't any others that MAY be of concern.

Google can be my/your friend but it is NOT my book of absolute truths and facts. Sorry but if Google tells me that there is 90% chance of coronavirus outbreak at a sleepaway camp I will not take that as a fact. A journal of science with hard data showing that would be acceptable.

In either case, my position is that we will all find out together if G-d forbid any sleepaway camp has an outbreak as there will still be thousands of kids attending in out of state camps (as well as in state but call it something else). My gut feeling is there won't be any (b"eh). But again, time will tell.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: June 17, 2020, 01:05:21 AM »
Do you have an actual source for this? Not a senior Hatzalah member, a real medical source. I’m genuinely curious where you got this from, the concept that exposure = immune

Yup. My source is the pair of eyes and the brains granted to me by my creator.

If you'd rather wait for a manufactured vaccine, talk to me no sooner than Trumps 2nd year of his 2nd term.
-- Dan

Offline RebTuvia

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 17, 2020, 01:19:30 AM »

Its called "Herd Immunity" when most of the herd had the disease the chances of others contracting it is very low. Look it up.

Online yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 17, 2020, 11:50:38 AM »
Its called "Herd Immunity" when most of the herd had the disease the chances of others contracting it is very low. Look it up.

Exposure≠Had the Disease≠Herd Immunity

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #513 on: June 17, 2020, 11:52:55 AM »
Exposure is meaningless.
The only thing that matters is exposure to someone contagious, and the vast majority of people with COVID-19 are not contagious.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 17, 2020, 12:02:18 PM »
Exposure is meaningless.
The only thing that matters is exposure to someone contagious, and the vast majority of people with COVID-19 are not contagious.
Coming from an expert living in a community in which what percentage experienced symptoms?
-- Dan

Online yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 17, 2020, 12:41:10 PM »
Exposure is meaningless.

I don't think that even that is enough. If the virus doesn't enter the persons body, they won't have antibodies/immunity. It doesn't matter how many people they were exposed to.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #516 on: June 17, 2020, 12:46:47 PM »
I don't think that even that is enough. If the virus doesn't enter the persons body, they won't have antibodies/immunity. It doesn't matter how many people they were exposed to.
Exposure to someone contagious, meaning they got it and have antibodies.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 17, 2020, 02:20:01 PM »
Coming from an expert living in a community in which what percentage experienced symptoms?
Love how we are now defining experts
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 17, 2020, 02:28:06 PM »

Ain domeh shmiah lere'iyah, and I saw that the oilam cancelled Covid. Null and void. And if you haven't had it yet, you're covered by (I) herd (there's) immunity, which is kinda like botul b'shishim, but for rational thoughts and facts.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 17, 2020, 02:35:14 PM »
Ain domeh shmiah lere'iyah, and I saw that the oilam cancelled Covid. Null and void. And if you haven't had it yet, you're covered by (I) herd (there's) immunity, which is kinda like botul b'shishim, but for rational thoughts and facts.
You missed the context, he didn't claim he's an expert. He questioned whether someone else is.