Poll

Will there be sleep away summer camp this year?

Yes
12 (20.7%)
NO
33 (56.9%)
Only second month
13 (22.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: April 17, 2020, 03:42:36 PM

Author Topic: Will there be Sleep Away Camp this summer?  (Read 173785 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Will there be Sleep Away Camp this summer?
« Reply #520 on: June 17, 2020, 02:44:51 PM »
You missed the context, he didn't claim he's an expert. He questioned whether someone else is.

Nope, @Dan got dismissed because he doesn't live in a place that was hard hit, so he must not be able to read or think rationally. I understood perfectly.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #521 on: June 17, 2020, 02:58:27 PM »
Its called "Herd Immunity" when most of the herd had the disease the chances of others contracting it is very low. Look it up.
Right, exposure to someone with a virus means you’re immune because of herd immunity, I don’t even have to look it up. You should change your handle to DrTuvia.
Yup. My source is the pair of eyes and the brains granted to me by my creator.

If you'd rather wait for a manufactured vaccine, talk to me no sooner than Trumps 2nd year of his 2nd term.
And your source has showed you that anybody who was exposed to someone who had a virus and didn’t get it that time can’t get it from someone else with the virus? Got it. Thanks for your medical source.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #522 on: June 17, 2020, 03:01:45 PM »
Coming from an expert living in a community in which what percentage experienced symptoms?
My bad, I didn’t realize people who live in CH are the true experts, I’ve been listening to these idiot doctors all along. Forgot they “don’t know anything”. Because Cuomo and the media.

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 17, 2020, 03:35:21 PM »
My bad, I didn’t realize people who live in CH are the true experts, I’ve been listening to these idiot doctors all along. Forgot they “don’t know anything”. Because Cuomo and the media.
Ain domeh shmiah lere'iyah, and I saw that the oilam cancelled Covid. Null and void. And if you haven't had it yet, you're covered by (I) herd (there's) immunity, which is kinda like botul b'shishim, but for rational thoughts and facts.
Exposure is meaningless.
The only thing that matters is exposure to someone contagious, and the vast majority of people with COVID-19 are not contagious.
some people are shouting scientific arguments till they are blue in the face and some people are looking at the facts on the ground that many of our communities have opened weeks ago and there has not been a spike in cases b"h and are moving on with their life

hence
Yup. My source is the pair of eyes and the brains granted to me by my creator.
a very rational thought and fact indeed

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #524 on: June 17, 2020, 03:41:02 PM »
some people are shouting scientific arguments till they are blue in the face and some people are looking at the facts on the ground that many of our communities have opened weeks ago and there has not been a spike in cases b"h and are moving on with their life

hencea very rational thought and fact indeed
Huh? It seems you’re doing something that’s fairly common around these parts these days and answering a question that wasn’t asked while leaving unanswered a question that was

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #525 on: June 17, 2020, 03:45:26 PM »

For everyone watching this play out on the sidelines, this sums it up perfectly. Science is being ignored because people aren't seeing it work the way they think it should immediately before their eyes.

I really thought frum Jews were smarter than this.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #526 on: June 17, 2020, 03:47:51 PM »

Let’s do it your way. There are many countries around the world that have opened up far earlier and to a greater extent than NY has without having seen a significant spike in cases since b”h. Does that translate into everyone who was exposed is immune because you have eyes?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 17, 2020, 03:52:37 PM »
The vulnerable people who were smart enough to self isolate early on & therfore didn't get it yet are still self isolating.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #528 on: June 17, 2020, 03:54:23 PM »
The vulnerable people who were smart enough to self isolate early on & therfore didn't get it yet are still self isolating.
Yes but they are indeed lowering their guard more now. I know of quite a few who are close to attending indoor Shul and are allowing people in their households to mingle with others. People who locked up early and did not get the virus.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 17, 2020, 04:00:26 PM »

IMO, this is the absolute biggest misconception with Covid. When you say vulnerable, you mean those with the highest risk of death. While death is the worst case scenario, we have no clue how this will impact those who survive, both short-term and long-term. To deem anyone as "safe" to get Covid is a huge fallacy which leads to the cavalier attitudes we're seeing in our communities and beyond.

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 17, 2020, 04:01:24 PM »

I really thought frum Jews were smarter than this.
That is a rather condescending comment

Why do you think that anyone who differs from your worldview lacks in his smartness? Maybe if tens of thousands of people are acting a certain way and you disagree maybe you are not smarter than all of them?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 17, 2020, 04:04:20 PM »
That is a rather condescending comment

Why do you think that anyone who differs from your worldview lacks in his smartness? Maybe if tens of thousands of people are acting a certain way and you disagree maybe you are not smarter than all of them?

Really? This is the Jewish way of thinking? The masses are doing it a certain way so they must be right?

You yourself said what you are perceiving as reality isn't matching the science, so we should ignore the science. If that's considered a "worldview" and disagreeing with anyone who thinks that way is condescending, I'll gladly wear that hat.

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 17, 2020, 04:24:12 PM »
Really? This is the Jewish way of thinking? The masses are doing it a certain way so they must be right?

You yourself said what you are perceiving as reality isn't matching the science, so we should ignore the science. If that's considered a "worldview" and disagreeing with anyone who thinks that way is condescending, I'll gladly wear that hat.
referring to hundreds of thousands of frum Jews as "I thought they were smarter than that" is condescending.

thankfully you are not the arbiter of Jewish thinking so please represent your opinions as your way of thinking and don't make representations as to what the Jewish way of thinking is

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 17, 2020, 04:26:46 PM »
We need a thread for "How DDF would've been circa 1939".

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 17, 2020, 04:29:00 PM »
referring to hundreds of thousands of frum Jews as "I thought they were smarter than that" is condescending.

thankfully you are not the arbiter of Jewish thinking so please represent your opinions as your way of thinking and don't make representations as to what the Jewish way of thinking is

I think the Rambam is a pretty good arbiter of Jewish thinking. Which side of this do you think he'd be on? Science, or believe what you think you see?

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 17, 2020, 04:30:48 PM »
IMO, this is the absolute biggest misconception with Covid. When you say vulnerable, you mean those with the highest risk of death. While death is the worst case scenario, we have no clue how this will impact those who survive, both short-term and long-term. To deem anyone as "safe" to get Covid is a huge fallacy which leads to the cavalier attitudes we're seeing in our communities and beyond.
This is fear of the unknown. There are many unknowns in life, we can't put the world on hold every time there is an unknown possible danger. Anyone who is really worried about it to the point of putting the world on hold for a year or two is probably best off moving to a deserted cave far from civilization.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 17, 2020, 04:37:40 PM »
This is fear of the unknown. There are many unknowns in life, we can't put the world on hold every time there is an unknown possible danger. Anyone who is really worried about it to the point of putting the world on hold for a year or two is probably best off moving to a deserted cave far from civilization.

Once again, this has been reduced to binary options. There are a plethora of options between hiding in a cave and business as usual.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 17, 2020, 04:40:55 PM »
Once again, this has been reduced to binary options. There are a plethora of options between hiding in a cave and business as usual.
Or you can argue that theoretical residual effects are not something to worry about.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #538 on: June 17, 2020, 04:45:28 PM »
+1000000000000

Add to that being a Yid with emunah and bitachon.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 17, 2020, 05:06:39 PM »
I don't dispute that and take particular care in avoiding the virus even though I am the diametric opposite of vulnerable. My point merely was we aren't seeing spike in NY/NJ & EU hospitalizations because those who are likely to end up in the hospital either already did or are still being careful.

Those advocating for business as usual are all governed by an impulsive reckless decision making process which doesn't take facts into the equation at all, and simply cede to their primal temptations. Unfortunately they outnumber us, so one of them is sitting in the Oval Office. What's remarkable is that they utterly forgot how wrong they were in February.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים