Poll

Will there be sleep away summer camp this year?

Yes
12 (20.7%)
NO
33 (56.9%)
Only second month
13 (22.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: April 17, 2020, 03:42:36 PM

Author Topic: Will there be Sleep Away Camp this summer?  (Read 173791 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Will there be Sleep Away Camp this summer?
« Reply #1140 on: July 09, 2020, 02:28:17 PM »
How many of the 82 were asymptomatic?
From what I read, most were asymptomatic, and many only tested positive after they were sent back home. To me, this is one of the larger concerns regarding overnight camps. While daycares pull their campers from one local area, overnight campers are generator a bunch of places. Sending all those contagious campers back into their communities has the potential to cause Bouncing Betty type damage.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #1141 on: July 09, 2020, 02:44:55 PM »
From what I read, most were asymptomatic, and many only tested positive after they were sent back home. To me, this is one of the larger concerns regarding overnight camps. While daycares pull their campers from one local area, overnight campers are generator a bunch of places. Sending all those contagious campers back into their communities has the potential to cause Bouncing Betty type damage.
If instead of panicking and sending the kids home to their vulnerable communities, they would just let them wait out their asymptomatic situation until camp was over, they would have a buffer instead of a spreader.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1142 on: July 09, 2020, 02:56:01 PM »
I don't recall anyone saying kids can't get it.

How many of the 82 were asymptomatic?
Except for Bar Mitzvah kids. Maybe it's somewhat related to Corona - both diseases don't affect young kids.  ;D
Considering that COVID-19 doesnt affect children, this is a bogus charge.

Then again, as soon as you need to start explaining you lost.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1143 on: July 09, 2020, 02:56:45 PM »
If instead of panicking and sending the kids home to their vulnerable communities, they would just let them wait out their asymptomatic situation until camp was over, they would have a buffer instead of a spreader.
Wouldn’t be a buffer unless those children are placed in quarantine. Otherwise they can keep spreading it further to other children.

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: July 09, 2020, 02:59:03 PM »

Reading comprehension issue? Where did any of those say kids can't get it?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #1145 on: July 09, 2020, 03:18:40 PM »
Reading comprehension issue? Where did any of those say kids can't get it?
Ah. So they can get it but it’s always asymptomatic? And there will certainly be no long term damage? That’s what affect means?

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: July 09, 2020, 04:37:38 PM »
Ah. So they can get it but it’s always asymptomatic or mild symptoms.
FTFY
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1147 on: July 09, 2020, 04:42:28 PM »
FTFY

Based on recent reports coming out about the unseen damage or possible side effects in those who were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms, why is that a good thing?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: July 09, 2020, 09:52:43 PM »
FTFY

Plus kids are by far not as likely to die.

Based on recent reports coming out about the unseen damage or possible side effects in those who were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms, why is that a good thing?

Are there any links to where I can read those reports? I'd also be interested in seeing studies being done on this but most likely the results wouldn't be available for quite some time especially for long term damage or side effects.

Online Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 09, 2020, 10:08:41 PM »
Does anyone know exactly where in NH Agudah is located this summer, and will they allow visitors in for minyanim?

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: July 09, 2020, 10:28:14 PM »
Missouri sleepaway camp closes after 82 kids, staff get COVID-19
https://nypost.com/2020/07/09/missouri-sleepaway-camp-closes-after-82-kids-staff-get-coronavirus/

In another article I read that they are planning to reopen for an abbreviated session July 18, after sanitizing the place.

Offline NTorch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: July 09, 2020, 10:56:29 PM »
What happened to the narrative that “kids can’t get COVID”? Were these really older “children” (I.e. teenagers)? Was it a massive camp with many thousands of children (so 82 is a very small number)? Does “82 campers and staff” really mean 81 staff and one camper?

This is not only directed at you as I’ve been seeing this tons from many others as well & maybe it belongs in a more general thread but -

Why does everything somebody says become a narrative?? The world at large has become so polarized, & once you have an opinion you need to stay with it 1000 percent, & must agree with all the opinions of that same side, can we at least try to keep things somewhat normal here so that somebody could say an opinion without it being a narrative?? I’ve had many things I’ve wanted to say about corona both ways but I’ve kept my mouth shut because it’s not worth getting into an argument over every word you said & what they decided you may have meant or didn’t mean or meant yesterday or said the week before. Everybody’s gotta take it easy.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #1153 on: July 09, 2020, 10:59:37 PM »
This is not only directed at you as I’ve been seeing this tons from many others as well & maybe it belongs in a more general thread but -

Why does everything somebody says become a narrative?? The world at large has become so polarized, & once you have an opinion you need to stay with it 1000 percent, & must agree with all the opinions of that same side, can we at least try to keep things somewhat normal here so that somebody could say an opinion without it being a narrative?? I’ve had many things I’ve wanted to say about corona both ways but I’ve kept my mouth shut because it’s not worth getting into an argument over every word you said & what they decided you may have meant or didn’t mean or meant yesterday or said the week before. Everybody’s gotta take it easy.
Some things can be said without a narrative. Some things are said as a narrative. When narratives are shown to be demonstrably false, they are called out. Such is the nature of things.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: July 09, 2020, 11:03:57 PM »
Some things can be said without a narrative. Some things are said as a narrative. When narratives are shown to be demonstrably false, they are called out. Such is the nature of things.

As I said so it’s all based off the way you feel they meant what they said… maybe you’re the one with the narrative? Narrative regardless which way it goes is problematic cuz u gotta stick to your narrative.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #1155 on: July 09, 2020, 11:07:18 PM »
As I said so it’s all based off the way you feel they meant what they said… maybe you’re the one with the narrative? Narrative regardless which way it goes is problematic cuz u gotta stick to your narrative.
Right, so you’re accusing me of having a narrative while I say I’m narrative busting. Now who’s right? Maybe
I’ve had many things I’ve wanted to say about corona both ways but I’ve kept my mouth shut because it’s not worth getting into an argument over every word you said & what they decided you may have meant or didn’t mean or meant yesterday or said the week before. Everybody’s gotta take it easy.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 09, 2020, 11:08:11 PM »
Right, so you’re accusing me of having a narrative while I say I’m narrative busting. Now who’s right? Maybe

That was quick

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #1157 on: July 09, 2020, 11:09:20 PM »
I will take every opportunity I find to drive home the point that every precaution taken is worthwhile and nobody should be mocked for being smart and proactive. You can call it a narrative if you’d like, just as in the past you’ve accused me of spreading false hysteria for publicizing a DP I heard directly from a doctor.

Nobody is encouraging anybody to live in fear. But I think some of the recklessness preached here needs to be called out each and every time.

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 09, 2020, 11:17:04 PM »
Does anyone know exactly where in NH Agudah is located this summer, and will they allow visitors in for minyanim?
Moultonborough, NH 03254

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 09, 2020, 11:25:54 PM »
I will take every opportunity I find to drive home the point that every precaution taken is worthwhile and nobody should be mocked for being smart and proactive. You can call it a narrative if you’d like, just as in the past you’ve accused me of spreading false hysteria for publicizing a DP I heard directly from a doctor.

Nobody is encouraging anybody to live in fear. But I think some of the recklessness preached here needs to be called out each and every time.

I very clearly didn’t accuse you of having a narrative in my first post but as soon as there was a drop of dialogue you resorted to basically telling me to shut up.

It’s beautiful that you care so much to make sure that everybody should be careful but don’t lower yourself to this bickering tone every other post.