Author Topic: Impact of Covid-19 on Tri-State Orthodox Jewish Community  (Read 1780 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Impact of Covid-19 on Tri-State Orthodox Jewish Community
« on: April 12, 2020, 05:14:32 AM »
I’m trying to work on the numbers to see if I can unearth some coherent statistics on just how deadly it’s been in the US, using the Orthodox community as a sample. We are in a unique position to calculate approximate number of deaths in our community by percentage of total population.

If anyone has pertinent information with concrete death/hospitalization numbers (Hatzolah, news sources, etc.) and sizing of the Tri State Jewish communities, please post it here. If you want to work with me, PM me.

Thanks!
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Impact of Covid-19 on Tri-State Orthodox Jewish Community
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 05:16:54 AM »
I’m trying to work on the numbers to see if I can unearth some coherent statistics on just how deadly it’s been in the US, using the Orthodox community as a sample. We are in a unique position to calculate approximate number of deaths in our community by percentage of total population.

If anyone has pertinent information with concrete death/hospitalization numbers (Hatzolah, news sources, etc.) and sizing of the Tri State Jewish communities, please post it here. If you want to work with me, PM me.

Thanks!
I think that unfortunately, even if you assume that every single member of the community has been infected (obviously a very far-fetched assumption) the death rate is still significantly higher than the flu already.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 07:50:01 AM »
1. You’ll be hard pressed to gather accurate statistics on the size of our community, the number of affected people, the number of hospitalizations, and R”L the numbers of those who have succumbed to this awful disease.
2. Even if you got accurate numbers, our community isn’t necessarily representative of the broader society, both in our general demographics and in our lifestyle differences that would affect transmission, our R number might very well be higher than the general population of the US.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 10:30:41 AM »
I believe that there are many factors which will render our communities as outliers in this pandemic. The first, and biggest, factor is our community life. A BP family with 8 kids can realistically interact with 2 yeshivos, a girls high school, 2 elementary schools, and a playgroup all within 24 hours, in addition to up to 3 shuls and a large simcha. Assuming very modest average numbers of 100 kids per school, 30 per shul, and 150 per simcha, that family has interacted with almost 750 people (giving overlap) within their average 24 hour period. I think you'd be hard pressed to find that reach in the outside world. Multiply that by "x" amount of families, add in Purim, and the government not taking it seriously enough until after a large percentage of our population was infected, and I think you may need to find a different Chol HaMoed project. 

Another data point that will skew the Jewish community's numbers vs the rest of the world is the elderly population. The interaction we have with our elderly in community and home settings, IMO is far greater than the average population. The amount of deaths we've seen from our greatest generation (75+) is unfortunately a huge percentage of our overall Covid-19 fatalities.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:40:26 AM by Lurker »
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 10:33:46 AM »
Minyanim and Purim are enough to make our community outliers.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 04:16:03 PM »
As I said in another post. The laws of probability are so much greater with so much overlapping.

Purim and megillah, shalach Manos and seuda was definitely a big thing.

Weddings and close dancing..