Topic Wiki

You can apply at https://covidserum.com/ to register with Mount Sinai and at top left corner click tab to get tested in most N.Y. Jewish neighborhoods
There is this from a private organization
https://covidplasmasavealife.com/
« Last edited by simple26 on April 20, 2020, 03:08:22 PM »

Author Topic: Donating blood/plasmas  (Read 15484 times)

Offline Eb228

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Donating blood/plasmas
« Reply #210 on: May 11, 2020, 05:01:09 PM »
do you know what happens to the blood afterwards ? Does Bikur Cholim have a word on it?

I dont think they have a say on every donation they facilitated per say, but when someone in our community needs they are in a position to ask for whatever is available then since they facilitated so many donations

Offline Eb228

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 11, 2020, 05:03:06 PM »
Goes into a blood bank. Don't think so.

I don't think this is being put into a blood bank, there is an immediate need for it in hospitals.
It's not blood, it's plasma theyre taking. They filter the plasma out of the blood and return the blood into the donor.

Offline yitz1000

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2020, 05:10:39 PM »
I don't think this is being put into a blood bank, there is an immediate need for it in hospitals.
It's not blood, it's plasma theyre taking. They filter the plasma out of the blood and return the blood into the donor.
I don't know about other place but by Maimonidies it goes into the bank.

This does not mean it can't get used quickly though for someone in need. First additional tests are done on the donors blood - they take a few vials before the Plasma is drawn. If all checks out OK, the Plasma can go to a donor as soon as 24 hrs later.

This info is from a maimonides paramedic that I spoke to while donating today.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2020, 05:11:24 PM »

Iím also under the impression that these plasma doses (?) are being used as part of clinical trials.

Offline simple26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2020, 07:03:44 PM »
Iím also under the impression that these plasma doses (?) are being used as part of clinical trials.
Is the Red Cross involved in clinical trials ?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 11, 2020, 11:06:27 PM »
Is the Red Cross involved in clinical trials ?

I was referring to Mt. Sinai/Mayo Clinic and their affiliates, not the Red Cross.

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 13, 2020, 11:25:51 AM »
I was referring to Mt. Sinai/Mayo Clinic and their affiliates, not the Red Cross.

I am working on organizing a drive in WH through CovidPlasma and Lakewood Bikur Cholim. They advised me that two vials are being taken at the draw. They received a grant from the NIH so one vial at the drive goes to be tested so that you can get into donation system and the other is going for epidemiology testing.

Offline yitz1000

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2020, 11:34:05 AM »
I am working on organizing a drive in WH through CovidPlasma and Lakewood Bikur Cholim. They advised me that two vials are being taken at the draw. They received a grant from the NIH so one vial at the drive goes to be tested so that you can get into donation system and the other is going for epidemiology testing.

Apparently every place is different because by Maimonides they take 4 or 5 vials. There's also different regulations for different drives regarding how often you can donate. Maimonides requires 28 days in between donations while some place allow weekly.

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2020, 11:35:18 AM »
As a follow up to the prior questions about antibodies and multiple people in the family with different results, I would tell you not to draw conclusions from the first test results.

My AC and I and all 4 of our kids had the virus in mid March and BH we have all recovered. I was the last to manifest with symptoms (March 20), but my kids were about a week a head of me (albeit with milder symptoms).

I went with two of my kids to get tested in Brooklyn at the first antibody drive on April 22, a little more than a month after showing symptoms. I was negative but one of my kids was positive and he was about a week ahead of me with symptoms.

I went with a different kid to get her tested at Mt Sinai last week and got myself retested at the same time. My test was now positive (320) and I have been advised that your body keeps building more antibodies post infection until it plateaus.

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 13, 2020, 11:36:45 AM »
Apparently every place is different because by Maimonides they take 4 or 5 vials. There's also different regulations for different drives regarding how often you can donate. Maimonides requires 28 days in between donations while some place allow weekly.

Was the 4-5 vials at a donation or a test draw?

Offline yitz1000

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 13, 2020, 11:39:52 AM »
Was the 4-5 vials at a donation or a test draw?

Oh, I misunderstood.. I'm referring to donation and now I see you meant at testing.

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 13, 2020, 11:56:42 AM »
As a follow up to the prior questions about antibodies and multiple people in the family with different results, I would tell you not to draw conclusions from the first test results.

My AC and I and all 4 of our kids had the virus in mid March and BH we have all recovered. I was the last to manifest with symptoms (March 20), but my kids were about a week a head of me (albeit with milder symptoms).

I went with two of my kids to get tested in Brooklyn at the first antibody drive on April 22, a little more than a month after showing symptoms. I was negative but one of my kids was positive and he was about a week ahead of me with symptoms.

I went with a different kid to get her tested at Mt Sinai last week and got myself retested at the same time. My test was now positive (320) and I have been advised that your body keeps building more antibodies post infection until it plateaus.

Thanks for sharing! That could mean that I now have antibodies even though my original test (taken close to 4 weeks after symptoms) was negative.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 13, 2020, 11:56:55 AM »

Which test was it the first time around? I don't know if there's specific medical/scientific data about it yet, but antibodies not being present at all at ~5 weeks and then present in sufficient quantity to qualify for donating plasma at ~7 weeks sounds far-fetched.

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 13, 2020, 12:20:15 PM »
Which test was it the first time around? I don't know if there's specific medical/scientific data about it yet, but antibodies not being present at all at ~5 weeks and then present in sufficient quantity to qualify for donating plasma at ~7 weeks sounds far-fetched.

First test was Mayo test taken at antibody drive run by Lakewood Bikur Cholim. 2nd test was Mt Sinai test in a Mt Sinai Dr Office.

As far as the results - negative does not mean negative for the Mayo test, it just means its below the 1.01 threshold.  The Mt Sinai test which is a different scale had me at 320.

Last - you are looking at dates from onset of symptoms which should not be confused with recovery.  You don't start manufacturing antibodies the day that you get sick.

The first test was about a month after I started showing symptoms and unlike the rest of my family, I did not start with mild symptoms. They all had some coughing and then all had loss of taste/smell. The coughing was mild and then the loss of taste and smell hit all 5 of them over the span of 72 hours. Two days later I spiked a fever and had major congestion - which none of them had.

So when my son tested positive for antibodies the same day I tested negative, he was probably a week a head of me in the process.

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 13, 2020, 12:22:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing! That could mean that I now have antibodies even though my original test (taken close to 4 weeks after symptoms) was negative.

You are welcome! Where did you test when you showed negative?