Topic Wiki

You can apply at https://covidserum.com/ to register with Mount Sinai and at top left corner click tab to get tested in most N.Y. Jewish neighborhoods
There is this from a private organization
https://covidplasmasavealife.com/
« Last edited by simple26 on April 20, 2020, 03:08:22 PM »

Author Topic: Donating blood/plasmas  (Read 31128 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Donating blood/plasmas
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2020, 11:32:58 PM »
I think you may have had it, but not intense enough to build up strong enough antibodies needed to donate

:o
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline simple26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2020, 11:38:49 PM »
My wife had worse symptoms then me with fever over 99, I just had a headache for a couple days. I assume I had but I didn’t have the fever, should I not be tested?
did she test positive?
If not check back at the end of the day if not maxed out apply then

Offline bamo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2020, 11:41:31 PM »
Amzing Thanks for sharing, one more question if I may curious through which organization did you donate?
It  was through lev rochel bikur cholim. I have to add that they were an absolute pleasure to deal with. They took care of everything and was super smooth.

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2020, 11:58:47 PM »
My mother was 320 which is lowest to donate. My father was 2880.
Thanks for your response.
The information you provided was actually very useful. Much appreciated!

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2020, 10:27:05 AM »
Which tests are considered to be relatively trustworthy, and which are more suspect? Mt Sinai keeps pushing our appointments, but if I'm gonna find somewhere else to test/donate, I'd rather it be a more 'accurate' test.

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2020, 10:50:51 AM »
Which tests are considered to be relatively trustworthy, and which are more suspect? Mt Sinai keeps pushing our appointments, but if I'm gonna find somewhere else to test/donate, I'd rather it be a more 'accurate' test.

I did the CovidPlasma/LevRochel test last Wednesday in Brooklyn and am waiting on my results. They coordinate through the Mayo Clinic.

They have another drive tomorrow in Crown Heights.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2020, 10:58:01 AM »
I did the CovidPlasma/LevRochel test last Wednesday in Brooklyn and am waiting on my results. They coordinate through the Mayo Clinic.

What symptoms did you have?

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2020, 11:17:37 AM »
What symptoms did you have?

The week after Purim over the course of three days my Aishes Chayil and all 4 of my kids lost taste & smell. Then about a day or two later I spiked a fever just under 101 which lasted about two days and had severe congestion which lasted about a week from when the fever started.

BH by the Thursday before Pesach I was recovered enough according to my doctor to leave the house, but was not well enough under the guidelines for the antibody testing until 21 days post onset of symptoms.

Once I was OK under the guidelines I registered with CovidPlasma and last week they contacted me to come in for testing. I was so elated and brought two of my kids for testing as well.

PM me for my cell if you have any additional specific questions, either about illness, recovery or testing.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2020, 11:20:22 AM »
The week after Purim over the course of three days my Aishes Chayil and all 4 of my kids lost taste & smell. Then about a day or two later I spiked a fever just under 101 which lasted about two days and had severe congestion which lasted about a week from when the fever started.

BH by the Thursday before Pesach I was recovered enough according to my doctor to leave the house, but was not well enough under the guidelines for the antibody testing until 21 days post onset of symptoms.

Once I was OK under the guidelines I registered with CovidPlasma and last week they contacted me to come in for testing. I was so elated and brought two of my kids for testing as well.

PM me for my cell if you have any additional specific questions, either about illness, recovery or testing.

BH glad you’re doing well. I’ve had significant symptoms but not fever and wondering if I should get tested.

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2020, 11:25:26 AM »
BH glad you’re doing well. I’ve had significant symptoms but not fever and wondering if I should get tested.

Am willing to discuss if you want to speak by phone.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2020, 11:26:36 AM »
Am willing to discuss if you want to speak by phone.

Thanks, I think I’m good. Just gathering data points.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2020, 11:42:30 AM »

They have another drive tomorrow in Crown Heights.
So officially it's the Mayo Clinic's test? I'm sure they're not sending the samples to MN, so what labs are they being tested in?

Interesting. My wife also had it first - no fever, relatively minor symptoms except for perceived shortness of breath that turned out to be nothing (based on oxygen levels), eventually losing smell/taste - and she tested positive about a week after symptoms started. My kids had very minor (slight fever for a few hours, went away with Tylenol - and extremely runny noses) symptoms more or less in a similar time frame. I was fine during that time, and then just as they were coming out of it, I was sick for a few days. Fever on and off for max 3 days. Wasn't too bad B'H, just slept it off for the most part.

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2020, 11:49:00 AM »
So officially it's the Mayo Clinic's test? I'm sure they're not sending the samples to MN, so what labs are they being tested in?
I believe I read in an article  they are flying it to them

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2020, 12:21:35 PM »

I see you wrote you went with 2 of your kids, which sounds like your wife didn't. I assume because of the multiple past pregnancies restriction. It seems like some of the other places are taking such women, and just testing the blood appropriately to screen for whatever the issue is. But Lev Rochel seems to say don't bother coming at all.

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2020, 12:25:38 PM »
I see you wrote you went with 2 of your kids, which sounds like your wife didn't. I assume because of the multiple past pregnancies restriction. It seems like some of the other places are taking such women, and just testing the blood appropriately to screen for whatever the issue is. But Lev Rochel seems to say don't bother coming at all.

The assumption is not correct, but I am not comfortable posting any personal details on the site. PM me if you want to speak by phone.

BTW - there were many married women on the line to get tested, including some who came down with teenage children of their own.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2020, 12:30:15 PM »
The assumption is not correct, but I am not comfortable posting any personal details on the site. PM me if you want to speak by phone.

BTW - there were many married women on the line to get tested, including some who came down with teenage children of their own.
When you fill out the form to register for a time/place, if you click on F, it asks if you've had more than one pregnancy. If you choose yes, it says in big red letters "Women who had more than one pregnancy can not donate for this program".

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2020, 12:45:22 PM »

Is it possible they were taking it just to see if they had antibodies (completely wrong and immoral) so they just ignored that message?
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2020, 01:19:33 PM »
Is it possible they were taking it just to see if they had antibodies (completely wrong and immoral) so they just ignored that message?

I don't know. The e-mail about HLA antibodies and pregnancy only came about 2 hours after I got tested (2:15PM), so its very possible that people who were there with me at 1230PM had not been advised yet.

I would not presume that they were coming to be tested for immoral reasons. Having gone through the experience and BH having a refuah sheleima, I wanted to help others who are suffering. Its the same reason that my son and daughter went with me.

Offline iwlw2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2020, 02:18:29 PM »
In case anyone can benefit from hearing about my experience. Got tested last Sunday in Lakewood in the Bikur Cholim drive in BlueClaws, which was super well run btw, and easy. They called me on Tue. to tell me that I had a high level of antibodies (no surprise to those that know me, as I have always been super anti(every)bodies  ;)) and told me to expect a call from the lab as soon as there was an opening, either Thurs. Fri. or Shabbos. They told me their poskim held that it was sufficient pikuach nefesh that they would have a goy drive me on Shabbos if necessary. Thankfully didnt come to that as the lab called me the next day (Wed.) that they had openings on Thurs. (they were booking every 20 min.). The lab was in Parsippany about an hour and a half drive from Lakewood. When I got there filled out a bunch of screener questions, had a quick physical of my vitals and a finger prick to check my iron, and eventually was hooked up to the machine. There are two tubes, one takes your blood, it goes through the machine which takes out your plasma, and then it goes back in via the other one. The whole thing took about 45 minutes. Then you wait about 15 minutes and eat and drink (you need to bring your own food for kosher, but they have juice and water) and make sure you're ok before you leave. I overheard them telling someone that the plasma they take is enough for four people, and also that my plasma was designated to go to Jersey Shore hospital. I did not experience any ill effects B"h. I just hope that someone can benefit from my plasma bez"h.

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile