0 (0%)
Shul is closed and locked Lakewood
31 (27.7%)
Shul is "closed" but secretly functioning Lakewood
0 (0%)
Shul is officially not closed Lakewood
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Is your Shul Secretly Open Right Now?  (Read 37916 times)

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Is your Shul Secretly Open Right Now?
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2020, 02:10:46 PM »
It's much simpler. If the rabbis are telling us it's the proper thing to not daven with a minyan, what message does it send if they themselves are violating the psak?

This, because as discussed, people these days are raised to emulate gedolim and rabbanim.

I would bet good money that many say " the Rav only closed the shul because of pressure etc but he's not really against minyanim.. look he has his own"

Etc etc etc

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2020, 02:13:54 PM »

According to many
https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/preventable-death-overview/odds-of-dying/
We have some pretty high chances of dying based on our "daily routine" maybe we should stop doing many stuff, based on Sfek sfeikah.
While Covid's chance of death is not estimated yet, its pretty low for the very young,  considerably less then some of the others listed.

Can you please point to what post.

I really hope you don't believe this and are really trolling.

Mishna, talmud and commentaries discuss at length, the precautions one should take.

We have free choice, apparently you chose to be an idiot.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2020, 02:14:49 PM »

According to many
https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/preventable-death-overview/odds-of-dying/
We have some pretty high chances of dying based on our "daily routine" maybe we should stop doing many stuff, based on Sfek sfeikah.
While Covid's chance of death is not estimated yet, its pretty low for the very young,  considerably less then some of the others listed.

OMG.
Do you not understand the difference between lifetime odds of death (which are 100%...) and odds of death from a single pandemic in a short period of time?

So krum!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2020, 02:17:30 PM »
WHY DOES THIS NEED TO BE SAID?!?! We need a hair-pulling-out emoji
I was a Hatzolah member for many years in a neighborhood that does not allow the members to drive their cars back on shabbos. They have goyim driving and today, in contravention of Rav Moshe's psak, they even rely on the goy to bring the ambulance to calls sometimes and to drive the ambulance to Manhattan. On Rosh Hashanah there was a call on the street where a woman collapsed. I was the first one there and was treating the patient. It was right near the ambulance and in those days we were able to still drive to the hospital without goyim. The posek for our Hatzolah neighborhood was the ruv of our patient. He just happening to walk by. As we are loading her into the ambulance he says "Maybe you go with a goy." I turned to him and said...your psak is that a safek pikuach nefesh goes only with a yid. Sorry, all of a sudden because you see it in person your heartstrings get tugged about chillul shabbos. We took her to the hospital. She was dead in 24 hours.

Even the Rav needs to be reminded of the halacha sometimes. 
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2020, 02:17:59 PM »

This is the attitude which has killed so many. The blood of those like the Novomisker ztl is on the hands of those saying this. The destroyed families where money is being collected for the 10 yesomim are on the hands of those saying this. All these people caught it from someone with this atitude.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2020, 02:25:56 PM »
This is the attitude which has killed so many. The blood of those like the Novomisker ztl is on the hands of those saying this. The destroyed families where money is being collected for the 10 yesomim are on the hands of those saying this. All these people caught it from someone with this atitude.
Not all, as most of the world didn’t realize it was here that early on so it wasn’t that attitude that did it, but yes, unfortunately it is the truth for many.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2020, 02:38:19 PM »
Not all, as most of the world didn’t realize it was here that early on so it wasn’t that attitude that did it, but yes, unfortunately it is the truth for many.
Yes some may have gotten it regardless but others would not have. Also, at the beginning it was more that this attitude was more prevalent than that it was being totally ignored.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2020, 03:05:52 PM »
Who said it's illegal?

How about R’ Chaim Kanievsky? Is he holy enough for you?

No? How about R’ Gershon Edelstein, who specifically had a picture publicized of him davening b’yechidus “so that others should see, and understand that if I can daven without a minyan, then so should they”?!

Wake up, people. It’s not about the black-and-white of a government decree. The government is not your freaking babysitter. Just because you found a loophole in something they said, that doesn’t necessarily make it suddenly healthy and wise to do so!!!! Just because you’re allowed to buy cigarettes when you’re older than 18, for example, that doesn’t mean that smoking is healthy for you... it simply means that there’s a limit to how much the government can be your babysitter, and after which point you have to GROW THE $&@% UP and take responsibility for your own actions.

If this is something that EVERY MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL HAS SAID SHOULD NOT BE DONE, and ALMOST EVERY RABBINICAL AUTHORITY OF NOTE HAS AGREED WITH, to the point that RAV CHAIM KANIEVSKY EXPLICITLY SAID THAT YOU CAN REPORT PEOPLE WHO MAKE ILLEGAL MINYANIM TO THE AUTHORITIES, then why do you have to think you’re smarter?! Why?! Why?! WHY?!?! WHY?!?!?! Did not enough Jews die yet to convince you?!?!

If you contract COVID-19 while attending a minyan these days (even if you found a “loophole” in the secular law for that) and die from it, do you really think you’ll be welcomed into Shamayim with open arms as someone who died “al kiddush Hashem”?! Or do you think you’ll be getting the express elevator to the basement, for violating divrei chachamim and explicitly going against the words of virtually every gadol of note b’zman hazeh?!

In summary... my main point is: it’s not just government laws that can make something illegal. Commands from our gedolim can make something “illegal” for a G-d fearing Jew, too. And even if you find a valid “loophole”, you’re still an idiot, and your blood - and the blood of others - is on your hands.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2020, 03:15:41 PM »
No freakin Rabbonim in BP came out PUBLICLY...there are those that defied it publicly.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2020, 03:21:28 PM »
No freakin Rabbonim in BP came out PUBLICLY...there are those that defied it publicly.
however if it's them or a family member c"v they would say different unfortunately
This thread has (now) devolved into מבזה את החכמים ר"ל, in my opinion, so I am done here.

Offline yochiek93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2020, 03:23:48 PM »
This thread has (now) devolved into מבזה את החכמים ר"ל, in my opinion, so I am done here.
no that wasn't the point of my post at all, and since it could be misunderstood as that I deleted it.
I just personally know about that story, and others.
With regard to the rules they have in place I would definitely not say anything since they are the rabbonim
But in an emergency that's not the time to be machmir and the rabbonim have said that time and time again.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 03:29:03 PM by yochiek93 »

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2020, 03:29:00 PM »
Name names of BP rabbonim that came out and said my shul is closed and actually did close it. You cant.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2020, 03:30:51 PM »
The Ruv in my shul - ultra-Chasiddish FTR - closed the shul completely and called every mispallel personally to make sure they're staying home. No loopholes, no nothing. The night before yom tov I observed the Ruv's son in law at the mailbox signing the mechiras chometz shtar, gloves and all; the Ruv wouldn't even let him in the house.

Yet some of my neighbors are making street minyanim with no social distancing, and a freaking kiddush. You can't fix stupid, but I am extremely pleased that my Ruv at least is doing the right thing.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2020, 03:43:54 PM »

I just confirmed what I knew to be true that my shteibel has been open for the Rabbi and his immediate family and his cousin and his immediate family who all live locally. I dont really have an issue with that. Except, now over yom tov there were at least 3 other people that joined the rabbi's minyan.   I also confirmed that  the other shteibel I daven in has been having daily minyanim too. I'm seriously considering not going back to these shuls after all of this is over. Dont really know what the alternatives are either.

There has been a minyan near my house that I wasn't participating because of their lack of Social distancing.

They are finally taking it seriously,so YT I started davening with the minyan, although I stay in my backyard.

You should do what ur Rav tells you.

But think about it for a minute.

A Grocery Store is OK.
USPS is OK.
WallMart OK.
Target OK.

Shull not ok.

Maybe we shall be open with proper cleaning and distancing guidance in place where enforcement is stricter then USPS or Target.

1. Your just parroting one of these WA clips that were going around..

2. Show me the shul davening indoors that has been enforcing the Social distancing + not small confined areas..And then we can have a conversation..

You decided God dosnt want us to daven with minyan. If your Rav thinks so then dont go to Minyan. But if ones Rav thinks there is a setting where it is permitted dont just say his opinion is worth nothing.

99.9% of Rabonim from every single Jewish group ( Modox,Yeshivish, Chassidish, ) have said that you should not daven with minyan and closed their shuls...

But "HE DECIDED" that God doesn't want us to daven with minyan.

I'm starting to get your train of thought

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2020, 03:46:32 PM »
I know the Rov of my shul and a few of other shuls as well, are keeping the shuls to themselves. They have a private shul, mikvah, and Sifrei Torah for them and their children. Technically speaking, there is nothing wrong or risky about having a minyan if done properly. The fear is that it won't be done properly.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2020, 03:50:00 PM »
I know the Rov of my shul and a few of other shuls as well, are keeping the shuls to themselves. They have a private shul, mikvah, and Sifrei Torah for them and their children. Technically speaking, there is nothing wrong or risky about having a minyan if done properly. The fear is that it won't be done properly.

Two issues with this.

1) Even if this minyan is being done properly, what happens when people see this and decide they can do it, too, without taking all the precautions?
2) What about Kavod HaTorah? How many people will now lose respect for this Rov and all that he stands for because they can't follow their own psak and lead by example?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2020, 03:52:25 PM »
Why do you feel סכנת נפשות requires a more strict approach than any other mitzvah?
חמירא סכנתא מאיסורא
I have not heard anything from my rav. He, as always, has been ambivalent about it all. His wishy washy approach actually cost someone his life. The shul had minyanim for a few days the week after purim and an old man who didnt know better came. He is now in a box. I can clearly point to the day that he cam eto shul and shouldnt have as the day that killed him. He didnt go anywhere else but shul.
I don't blame any Rabbonim that were late to the game. There was a lack of understanding about  the severity of COVID-19. Question is what's happened since then.
Didn't all the large kehillos close their shuls and Clearly tell their mispalellim not to come?

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2020, 04:00:23 PM »
Two issues with this.

1) Even if this minyan is being done properly, what happens when people see this and decide they can do it, too, without taking all the precautions?
2) What about Kavod HaTorah? How many people will now lose respect for this Rov and all that he stands for because they can't follow their own psak and lead by example?
Oh, I completely agree. I was just pointing it out. The same way you can walk into McDonald's and get a soft drink without eating treif, there is still a concept of maares ayin for things like this. People seem to think that this is a virus with magical powers that just leaps around. While I do agree that every rule put in place is necessary and should be followed, I think it's good for people to understand that technically your daily life can continue as usual as long as you are strictly adhering to the handwashing/sanitizing, not touching the face area, and wearing the proper gear. Should it be done? No. Can it be done safely? Yes. Unfortunately, like with many other things, the people who don't adhere will ruin it for the rest. I have lost 3 people already who I used to see on a daily basis. Hashems should watch over us all.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2020, 04:00:55 PM »
The Ruv in my shul - ultra-Chasiddish FTR - closed the shul completely and called every mispallel personally to make sure they're staying home. No loopholes, no nothing. The night before yom tov I observed the Ruv's son in law at the mailbox signing the mechiras chometz shtar, gloves and all; the Ruv wouldn't even let him in the house.

Yet some of my neighbors are making street minyanim with no social distancing, and a freaking kiddush. You can't fix stupid, but I am extremely pleased that my Ruv at least is doing the right thing.
For the sake of making a Kiddush HaShem, please name your Ruv so everyone should know who it is and give him tremendous respect. ראו כמה נאה מעשיו של זה!!

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2020, 04:04:05 PM »
I'm just curious.. who is taking achrayos for all the korbanos? We have an Avi yesomim and dayan almanos.

We now have lo aleinu an unprecedented crisis with hundreds of men and women windowed and thousands of yesomim.

Meanwhile the Jewish community is itself struggling. As is the entire economy.