0 (0%)
Shul is closed and locked Lakewood
31 (27.7%)
Shul is "closed" but secretly functioning Lakewood
0 (0%)
Shul is officially not closed Lakewood
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Is your Shul Secretly Open Right Now?  (Read 38753 times)

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Is your Shul Secretly Open Right Now?
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2020, 04:06:30 PM »
Btw my zaidy ah yahrtzeit was 11 Nissan. Between just the family in town , between my father, uncle, myself, 3 brothers, 1 brother in law and 1 cousin we could have 8 and easily gotten 2 for a minyan to say kaddish.

It was never an option discussed.

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2020, 04:18:51 PM »
Didn't all the large kehillos close their shuls and Clearly tell their mispalellim not to come?
Name names...im still waiting. There are NO Boro Park Rabbonim that I know of that have said anything publicly about closing their shuls.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline yakov116

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2020, 04:44:47 PM »
Name names...im still waiting. There are NO Boro Park Rabbonim that I know of that have said anything publicly about closing their shuls.

Stolin bobov-45 and many others
Money talks...mine says goodbye!

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2020, 04:58:38 PM »
The Novominsker ztl didn't?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2020, 05:02:08 PM »
False. There is no known immunity, just a theory based on other diseases. The rate of reinfection has already rendered this theory irrelevant.
Total Fake News.

Dr Fauci himself said that like other coronavirus diseases it's highly highly unlikely to get reinfected.

The anecdotal evidence about people getting reinfected is most likely people who never cleared it from their system (that's another unanswered question, how long it can stay in a person)

& the Herd Immunity is also a real thing that countries have adopted & then abandoned when they realized the cost to human life

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2020, 05:15:24 PM »
Bobov/Satmer/Klausenburg/Shomer Shabbos/Felder etc didn't close?

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2020, 05:20:30 PM »
Total Fake News.

Dr Fauci himself said that like other coronavirus diseases it's highly highly unlikely to get reinfected.

The anecdotal evidence about people getting reinfected is most likely people who never cleared it from their system (that's another unanswered question, how long it can stay in a person)

& the Herd Immunity is also a real thing that countries have adopted & then abandoned when they realized the cost to human life
From my understanding it takes up to 4 weeks until the antibodies are completely developed and ready to fight this virus again. So even if you successfully fought this virus and now test negative, you can still get it again until your antibodies are ready to fight it off.

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2020, 05:23:21 PM »
I just hope that all the covidiots wake up a little before they end up in the hospital or six feet under. And even if they don't die, what are the likelihood someone they know won't? Who here doesn't know a friend, relative, or neighbor who has died?
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2020, 05:26:54 PM »
Sho,ewr Shabbos for sure did officially, I don’t know what goes on behinds closed doors.. @hvaces42 probably has a better idea
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2020, 05:31:52 PM »
Total Fake News.

This getting waaay off topic, but here are some thoughts on your post.

First, Fauci has said in multiple interviews that what you hear him say in the press conferences is somewhere between the truth and what he needs to say to keep Trump happy. Even if he did say it, I'm not taking his word at face value.

Second, herd immunity is misleading in it's name, and therefore grossly misunderstood. The theory behind it is, if most of a population is immune to a certain disease, the likelihood of a non-immune person coming in contact with a carrier of that disease is greatly reduced, thereby reducing the non-immune person's risk for catching that disease. It's the reason we vaccinate. If 90%+ people are vaccinated and "protected" against getting a disease, say measles, then the other 10% of people have a much lower risk of catching it (ie. protecting "the herd"). The reason it doesn't apply in our current situation is three-fold: a) we don't actually know if having had the disease makes you immune, as illustrated by both the re-infection rate and by the inconsistency in findings of anti-bodies of those previously infected, b) we don't have solid data on the length of contagiousness for this, as illustrated by tests showing viral shedding for weeks after becoming asymptomatic, and c) herd immunity relies on a certain percentage of the population having immunity, which in our current situation is something we cannot be certain of or control with a vaccine.

I said there is no known immunity, as it is currently only a theory. I also said that given the circumstances, as explained above, this theory is currently irrelevant. That's not to say it's wrong or will never be relevant, but it doesn't apply to anyone right now.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2020, 05:36:00 PM »
Stolin bobov-45 and many others
Again...Reading comprehension is hard to come by. Stoliner Rebbe last I checked is in Givat Ze'ev and gave orders to his chasidim in Boro Park, he is no longer a BP Rov for purposes of this exercise. Bobov-45 may have officially closed but many of his chasidim, including my next door neighbor, continue to make street minyanim.
Bobov 48 as far as I know is closed but no public statement from R' Bentzion and his chasidim are also my neighbors joining in street minyanim. Satmar Rebbes are not BP rabbonim and Satmar 52 (RZL) is wide open including mikva. Shomer Shabbos was closed, but the lights were left on by MM purposely so that there could be minyanim on the sidewalk that are definitey non-compliant...and again, no public statement from the Rov. Canno speak to Klausenberg or Felder but havent seen any public statements.

Maybe I'm all wrong on this but can someone point me to a Kol Koireh that are so prevalent for every other shtus that is signed by Rabbonim in BP? I've seen it from 5 Towns Rabbonim, Flatbush Rabbonim, Rabbonim in EY, Bergen County Rabbonim. Please, someone show me that I am wrong. I wish I was.

Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Yef

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2020, 05:37:01 PM »
You’re right. A lot of choshuve rabbanim hold there is nothing wrong with making a minyan with social distancing. Maybe consider there is a difference of opinion here.why is there a issue with 12 people davening in a place meant for 300? R akeova eiger let minyanim of 15 happen during cholera epidemic.

Btw Anybody that blames anyone’s death on anyone does not understand the point of social distancing. There is no way to stop the spread of the disease, period. Even the most careful neighborhoods, it has spread r”l. The whole point of social distancing is to slow the spread to give the hospitals a chance to deal with it.

Also maybe the mods can take control a little more,with the bashing of rabbanim on this site. It gets worse here than vin news and similar  sites. Disgustingly anti jewish, more than anything that is being discussed.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2020, 05:37:38 PM »
The Novominsker ztl didn't?
He was the only one AFAIK. The simple answer is He's Agudah which has almost zero sway in BP. And look where it got him nebech. Too little too late.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2020, 05:43:51 PM »
You’re right. A lot of choshuve rabbanim hold there is nothing wrong with making a minyan with social distancing. Maybe consider there is a difference of opinion here.why is there a issue with 12 people davening in a place meant for 300? R akeova eiger let minyanim of 15 happen during cholera epidemic.

Btw Anybody that blames anyone’s death on anyone does not understand the point of social distancing. There is no way to stop the spread of the disease, period. Even the most careful neighborhoods, it has spread r”l. The whole point of social distancing is to slow the spread to give the hospitals a chance to deal with it.

Also maybe the mods can take control a little more,with the bashing of rabbanim on this site. It gets worse here than vin news and similar  sites. Disgustingly anti jewish, more than anything that is being discussed.
Show me your minyan with social distancing and I'll raise you 10 without. Again, my Rov is entitled to keep his shul open for himself and his family. He owns the building and he's the boss. The problem I have is that the weekly zmanim are sent out with the masthead of "Tefillah B'Tzimmer, Kol Echad B'Beiso" Yet the person that prepares the weekly zmanim for the shul is davening in the shul with the Rov and his family at the request of the Rov. Additionally some other gvir is invited to daven there if the Rov feels he will be short or needs an 11th just in case.

Where is anyone bashing anyone? I'm just trying to understand what the basis in halacha is to be meikil on safek pikuach nefesh.

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2020, 05:49:19 PM »
From what I see, the majority of shuls are staying shut, with some who opened up for Y"T and playing around, immediate only, one per table etc. mainly the shteibel style shuls.

But here is the good news, there is not a single middle aged person to be found, with so many people in that age that passed away Rch"l, they are taking it extremely serious, not leaving the house at all and not letting their children in. My parents don't have it easy but thanks G-d they are staying strict with their total isolation, we drop off all their groceries and other needs at their door, same goes for all others I know.

Of course there is much to improve for the youngsters, but it's good to see that the most vulnerable are keeping themselves safe.

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2020, 06:18:10 PM »
Our shuls are essential. 
No shuls are not essential. What part of this don't you understand?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online JMHO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2020, 06:23:56 PM »
No shuls are not essential. What part of this don't you understand?
Please stay out of this discussion. You'll never understand. Thank you.

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2020, 06:25:08 PM »

Wow, that was disgusting.

From a Jew: shuls are not essential. Keep them closed.
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2020, 06:26:12 PM »
::)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2020, 06:26:25 PM »
And to clarify what doesn't need to be said, don't go to the grocery if you don't need to. But you will die if you don't have food, so groceries should stay open. But use your brain.