Topic Wiki

Initiative to lower the standards:   https://simchainitiative.org/

Mishpacha Article link:                     https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs/
                                                     https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs-the-conversation-continues-2/

Jewish Pr. Interview W/R Reisman   https://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/interviews-and-profiles/over-1300-sign-pledge-to-hold-simpler-weddings-an-interview-with-rav-yisroel-reisman-rosh-yeshiva-of-torah-vodaath/2020/05/13/

Some interesting articles covering the guidelines from similar efforts 20 years ago

https://agudah.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/JO2002-V35-N06.pdf  page 10 article by Prof. Aaron Twerski
https://agudah.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/JO2006-V39-N041.pdf page 43 article by R Aryeh Zev Ginzberg
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/25/us/religion-journal-a-big-wedding-with-a-smaller-bill.html
« Last edited by David61 on May 28, 2020, 06:29:23 PM »

Poll

Wedding expenses in the frum community

Thank G-d for simchas
12 (6%)
This has gotten out of hand and a remedy is needed
150 (75%)
It's a problem but has always been this way and we'll manage as we have till now
38 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Author Topic: POLL: Wedding expenses in the frum Community - BH for simchos? or out of hand?  (Read 122763 times)

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I think it’s consistent with all the lavish luxuries we have today in all our communities no? If ur gonna spend money , at least for a religious item It’s a nice idea. Yeah they might feel princely wearing it we all do with our chatchkes

My only concern is I wish people wouldn’t be pressured into fitting in when they can’t economically. I hope there’s a sense of self worth in people to live a life they decide and not dictated by the trends. That would be wonderful wouldn’t it? :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 12:23:22 AM by justaregularguy »
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
A hat cost 4k?
I don't know your background but afaik its only satmer Monroe were the chasanim take a $1,200 shtreiml, all other places are minimum $2,500 just for the regular shtreiml

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
I don't know your background but afaik its only satmer Monroe were the chasanim take a $1,200 shtreiml, all other places are minimum $2,500 just for the regular shtreiml
i
2500? For a regular? Thats very low end. U can't get אפען for under 4k

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
A hat cost 4k?
you might get it for cheaper in bingo

I was was once walking with a shtriemel in the box on a friday, a lady (jew-ta) comes over
"oh were did you get that nice barrel"
["-"]

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
No chuson will buy a Bingo shtreimel. Bingo shtreimel is for the summer house, so one thing less to schlep.

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
BH that the Lubavitcher Rebbe went with a black hat!
unfortunately it was a borsalino...

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
unfortunately it was a borsalino...
Could be worse. He could have driven a Range Rover or Model S

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
I think it’s consistent with all the lavish luxuries we have today in all our communities no? If ur gonna spend money , at least for a religious item It’s a nice idea. Yeah they might feel princely wearing it we all do with our chatchkes

My only concern is I wish people wouldn’t be pressured into fitting in when they can’t economically. I hope there’s a sense of self worth in people to live a life they decide and not dictated by the trends. That would be wonderful wouldn’t it? :)
Isn't this what Rabbi Wachsman was talking about in his shmooze at the beginning? We have lost our perspective and our Yiddishkeit has become very gashmiusdik.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com

How is a fur hat a religious item?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
How is a fur hat a religious item?
The fact that one will schlep it along to the North and South Poles should give you the concept for the importance of that malbush for a chassid. With that being said, it definitely not in klal of זה אלי ואנוהו- התנאה לפניו במצוות, so spending $8k on one still has no excuse.

Offline fineguy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
I wonder what's worse from a religious perspective:

Spending excessive money on a religious-type article to show off = May show one appreciates important things, but can also cheapen the religious element by making it materialistic
Spending excessively on a non-religious item = Demonstrates ones priorities are off, but at least isn't in the religious sphere.

highly expensive striemel/menorah/atara vs Tesla/Volvo/Lexus
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:50:08 PM by fineguy »

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
I wonder what's worse from a religious perspective:

Spending excessive money on a religious-type article to show off = May show one appreciates important things, but can also cheapen the religious element by making it materialistic
Spending excessively on a non-religious item = Demonstrates ones priorities are off, but at least isn't in the religious sphere.

highly expensive striemel/menorah/atara vs Tesla/Volvo/Lexus
ive always believed if ur willing to spend money on a Volvo / lexus then spend the same proportion for a mitzvah.
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
I never had a problem with people enjoying their money. Problem is when it’s done to be ostentatious.

(On the same note, I’d be embarrassed to have a luxury car or palatial home in my neighborhood.)
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
ive always believed if ur willing to spend money on a Volvo / lexus then spend the same proportion for a mitzvah.

Agreed. But the danger in spending it on religious items is that one can fool oneself into thinking he's doing a good thing. The Kotzker used to say he prefers a rasha who knows he's a rasha to a tzaddik who knows he's a tzaddik.

Offline haltkup

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Agreed. But the danger in spending it on religious items is that one can fool oneself into thinking he's doing a good thing. The Kotzker used to say he prefers a rasha who knows he's a rasha to a tzaddik who knows he's a tzaddik.
Rabbi Wachsman once repeated the following story about the Bardichever Rebbi ZTL how he did not go to Kol nidrei till his gabbai came a few hours later and whispered into his ears the dog cost 10K rubel. The Bardichever smiled and started davening with a bren.
He explained that a few months earlier a poor Melamed toiled a full year to collect 10K rubel to marry off his daughter and on the way home he stopped over in an inn where it was stolen. In the morning the poor person started wailing and a rich nobelman who gave tzoros to local yidden overheard the commotion and out of mercy he gave the Melamed the entire amount. The good deed  caused a huge raash in shamaim and kitrig on the yidden cv. The Bardichevir learned that the nobelman had a hobby of collecting various breeds of dogs and happened to buy a dog on erev yom kippur at a local auction. He asked the gabbai to investigate the transaction. When the gabbai told the bardichever that the price was 10K rubel, the rebbi got excited and explained that his good deed is only worth a dog. He  does not value money and therefore the 10K for a poor man was just another one of his frivoulus items he spends on for his own pleasures.

Offline Chapshnell

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
No chuson will buy a Bingo shtreimel. Bingo shtreimel is for the summer house, so one thing less to schlep.

exactly.. Anyone saying that they know people buying $1,200-$2,500 shtreimlech are in the minority. Krauss, Miller etc etc for a chasan is MINIMUM MINIMUM $4k & most likely closer to $5,500.
Which is ridiculous.. this has nothing to do with chasidus, on the contrary. I'll bet you if any big rebbe from the past would have an opportunity to wear a $5k streimel or give away the $5kl for tzeduka they would probably do that & wear a hat.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
exactly.. Anyone saying that they know people buying $1,200-$2,500 shtreimlech are in the minority. Krauss, Miller etc etc for a chasan is MINIMUM MINIMUM $4k & most likely closer to $5,500.
Which is ridiculous.. this has nothing to do with chasidus, on the contrary. I'll bet you if any big rebbe from the past would have an opportunity to wear a $5k streimel or give away the $5kl for tzeduka they would probably do that & wear a hat $500 shtreimel.
Ftfy.
Fyi, as per my nephew who just got married, base price for nice Kraus and Miller chusson shtreimel as of 2 months ago was $6k with upgrades running to 8k!

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
Ftfy.
Fyi, as per my nephew who just got married, base price for nice Kraus and Miller chusson shtreimel as of 2 months ago was $6k with upgrades running to 8k!
jeez at this rate its going to cost more then my wedding

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
jeez at this rate its going to cost more then my wedding
Not even funny
Talking of the shtreimel, the weird thing is now with so many takana chassuna halls, the shtreimel cost is almost as much as the entire chassuna night.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Ftfy.

Almost as much as some people spent on linen, not sure which is worse?