Topic Wiki

Initiative to lower the standards:   https://simchainitiative.org/

Mishpacha Article link:                     https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs/
                                                     https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs-the-conversation-continues-2/

Jewish Pr. Interview W/R Reisman   https://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/interviews-and-profiles/over-1300-sign-pledge-to-hold-simpler-weddings-an-interview-with-rav-yisroel-reisman-rosh-yeshiva-of-torah-vodaath/2020/05/13/

Some interesting articles covering the guidelines from similar efforts 20 years ago

https://agudah.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/JO2002-V35-N06.pdf  page 10 article by Prof. Aaron Twerski
https://agudah.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/JO2006-V39-N041.pdf page 43 article by R Aryeh Zev Ginzberg
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/25/us/religion-journal-a-big-wedding-with-a-smaller-bill.html
« Last edited by David61 on May 28, 2020, 06:29:23 PM »

Poll

Wedding expenses in the frum community

Thank G-d for simchas
12 (6%)
This has gotten out of hand and a remedy is needed
150 (75%)
It's a problem but has always been this way and we'll manage as we have till now
38 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Author Topic: POLL: Wedding expenses in the frum Community - BH for simchos? or out of hand?  (Read 125052 times)

Offline Just A Jew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
THey are absolutely correct that the peer pressure is not comparable.

What about the assertion that a significant number of people are living above their means? I would think that goes hand in hand with the peer pressure.
Freedom of the press is alive at the US Mint.
- Gallagher

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
What about the assertion that a significant number of people are living above their means? I would think that goes hand in hand with the peer pressure.

Of course there are, but in this regard I am not confident that OOT is any better.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Just A Jew

• View Profile
Of course there are, but in this regard I am not confident that OOT is any better.

Depends where OOT. Just as an observer, cars, clothes, kiddushim, simchos, accessories, and food (not grocery) all seem to be things which in-towners spend more the OOT. No solid data backing any of this up, just things I've seen.
- Gallagher

Offline David61

• View Profile

I think the underlying issue is that when there are fewer people in your "community" you don't have to compete as much to feel like a "valued" member of the community. 

So people OOT often focus less on impressing others, and peer pressure is one key cause of overspending.

That said, other causes of overspending include growing up with abundance, increased materialism, poor financial education, limited earning power for many, large family size (ka'h), easy access to credit (including credit cards), exposure to marketing/advertisements, ease of online shopping, disproportionate rise in housing costs, and the recent inflationary pressures exceeding the pace of most peoples income.

Offline yr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
This is all bizarre.

A little off topic but...

I live somewhat out of town within the tri state area,  that used to be considered low key, although that has been changing over the last 0 to 20 years.

I estimate that I need $40k - $50k for my son's bar mitzvah in a few years.

$8k kiddush (including party planner and catering)
$12k 2 meals for 75 people plus shalosh seidos and general cost of hosting- don't forget its out of town,  so lots of guest.

$6k tefillin, leining lessons,  clothing for bar mitzvah boy and family
$10k even party/affair including hall rental, catering, party planning, music,  photography etc.
$5k plus since I know I'm underestimating somewhere plus general inflation over the next few years

Thoughts?

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
This is all bizarre.

I live somewhat out of town within the tri state area,  that used to be considered low key, although that has been changing over the last 0 to 20 years.

$12k 2 meals for 75 people plus shalosh seidos and general cost of hosting- don't forget its out of town,  so lots of guest.

$10k even party/affair including hall rental, catering, party planning, music,  photography etc.
$5k plus since I know I'm underestimating somewhere plus general inflation over the next few years

Thoughts?
Should be about half of that.

ETA: Can easily be half of that if you are willing to not go over the top.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile

I estimate that I need $40k - $50k for my son's bar mitzvah

Thoughts?
You don't

Offline MiInvstr

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
This is all bizarre.

Thoughts?
$8k Kiddush?! Do you need a party planner? You don’t need to get a caterer that charges $6k per meal or even close to that for Shabbos. Is there only one caterer in your town and do they charge that much?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 03:55:21 PM by MiInvstr »

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent

Whatever you're paying your party planner, I'll do it for a quarter of the price. I'll start practicing everything I'll need to do now.

"Hey, dingbat, how are people supposed to get that onto their plates?"
"Yo, that steaming heap of heart attack needs a spoon."
"Sir, can you please put a spoon in the cholent."

Ready.

Offline Just A Jew

• View Profile
Thoughts?

This is something I don't understand. A bar mitzvah needs to be celebrated, but why is everyone making 2 parties? Either make a really nice kiddush, or a big party and a small contribution towards the kiddush.

This doesn't need to be as expensive, especially together with the 8k kiddush.

Look, I don't mean any of this to bash anyone. If you can afford a beautiful weekend with catered meals and big parties, may G-d bless you with continued abundance. But for these things to be the norm and for people to be struggling under the weight of these expectations, especially in communities where we can barely string together enough pennies for necessities like education, is beyond me.
- Gallagher

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
This is something I don't understand. A bar mitzvah needs to be celebrated, but why is everyone making 2 parties? Either make a really nice kiddush, or a big party and a small contribution towards the kiddush.
+13.
Though I don't feel any communal pressure to do both.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
Of course not. You’re probably setting the standards there. :D

Offline Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
+13.
We gave our son the option of either a bo bayom party or a trip to EY. I'm happy he chose the right one.
And then of course we sponsored kiddush (a little more than a regular shabbos but nothing crazy. I think it was $3k for the kiddush) and did a full shabbos for the extended family.

Offline yr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
The kiddush I listed $8k can easily be $1500 if I would just upgrade the shul kiddushba drop, agreed there.

The meals assume roughly $50 a plate times 75 times 2=$7500
Plus hall rental plus waiters plus random other stuff.

One option would be simply don't invite so many out of towers (not an option for my family situation)  or host the meals at home with homemade food, also not realistic in my 1600 sq ft house.

Also, I agree this is all easily done for way cheaper. I'm just reporting based on what I've seen in my area as well as what I know DW will take as a given.

Offline yr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
We gave our son the option of either a bo bayom party or a trip to EY. I'm happy he chose the right one.
And then of course we sponsored kiddush (a little more than a regular shabbos but nothing crazy. I think it was $3k for the kiddush) and did a full shabbos for the extended family.

Full shabbos can be very expensive once you out grow doing it your house with homemade food...

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile

This doesn't need to be as expensive, especially together with the 8k kiddush.

How much do you consider as nice without over the top? Note, he mentioned 75 are coming for the bar mitzvah. You need waiters etc.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
The kiddush I listed $8k can easily be $1500 if I would just upgrade the shul kiddushba drop, agreed there.

The meals assume roughly $50 a plate times 75 times 2=$7500
Plus hall rental plus waiters plus random other stuff.

One option would be simply don't invite so many out of towers (not an option for my family situation)  or host the meals at home with homemade food, also not realistic in my 1600 sq ft house.

Also, I agree this is all easily done for way cheaper. I'm just reporting based on what I've seen in my area as well as what I know DW will take as a given.
If you’d be ok doing homemade food, would the hall let you bring your own food ?

Offline yr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Unlikely. Plus it's no simple feat to cook for that many people,  and you still need waiters and hall rental..and your also prepping for a whole shabnos, finding places for your guest etc. And the food you cook isn't free either.

Offline davidd75

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
I know many that either do a night weekday event OR a shabbos Kiddush
no need for both unless you want to go into debt
If you maintain strong you can persevere under peer pressure
Where does it say we must spend thousands of dollars for a proper simcah? 

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Unlikely. Plus it's no simple feat to cook for that many people,  and you still need waiters and hall rental..and your also prepping for a whole shabnos, finding places for your guest etc. And the food you cook isn't free either.

And the time and effort spent cooking isn't free either. There are often cheaper options that are in the middle such as buying the food from a takeout.
Feelings don't care about your facts