Topic Wiki

Initiative to lower the standards:   https://simchainitiative.org/

Mishpacha Article link:                     https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs/
                                                     https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs-the-conversation-continues-2/

Jewish Pr. Interview W/R Reisman   https://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/interviews-and-profiles/over-1300-sign-pledge-to-hold-simpler-weddings-an-interview-with-rav-yisroel-reisman-rosh-yeshiva-of-torah-vodaath/2020/05/13/

Some interesting articles covering the guidelines from similar efforts 20 years ago

https://agudah.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/JO2002-V35-N06.pdf  page 10 article by Prof. Aaron Twerski
https://agudah.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/JO2006-V39-N041.pdf page 43 article by R Aryeh Zev Ginzberg
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/25/us/religion-journal-a-big-wedding-with-a-smaller-bill.html
« Last edited by David61 on May 28, 2020, 06:29:23 PM »

Poll

Wedding expenses in the frum community

Thank G-d for simchas
12 (6%)
This has gotten out of hand and a remedy is needed
150 (75%)
It's a problem but has always been this way and we'll manage as we have till now
38 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Author Topic: POLL: Wedding expenses in the frum Community - BH for simchos? or out of hand?  (Read 123172 times)

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Adding an extra 100 people wouldn't have driven cost up so much. The hall we did (a small one) had a minimum, and the marginal cost per couple was pretty low beyond that.
caterers generally have a minimum in order it should be profitable
a family with almost no relatives asked the caterer instead of making 200 portions make 50 high scale menu, and they agreed
["-"]

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Is there any halls that serve food, not catered?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Is there any halls that serve food, not catered?
Yes. On the whole, those cost a lot more when you add catering.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
We made a small wedding in Monsey (for ourselves, mostly paid for by our parents--we preferred a "block grant").

It was smallish (200 guests, Sunday wedding during the post Purim "season") and it was about 20k all in - hall, photographer, 5 piece band, photographer, video (should have nixed that in retrospect), flowers, wine, invitations (mostly did paperless). If we wanted to, we could have cut down on band and done it for closer to 17k.

Othwr than video, I don't have regrets.

Adding an extra 100 people wouldn't have driven cost up so much. The hall we did (a small one) had a minimum, and the marginal cost per couple was pretty low beyond that.

Just curious, why the regret on the video?
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Yes. On the whole, those cost a lot more when you add catering.
Really odd as I never been to a catered wedding.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
Really odd as I never been to a catered wedding.
So how does food work?

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
Just curious, why the regret on the video?
We've never really watched it, nor had the desire to.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
Do you have kids who need to be entertained during quarantine?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
Do you have kids who need to be entertained during quarantine?
Toddler. Don't think she'll appreciate nearly as much as Daniel Tiger.

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
My world is so different (and I’m sure some of it is my subjective experience), that I can’t even start. All I’ll say is I’m lucky to have asked her out on my own and had free Chosson classes at YU (gave a small present).

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
My world is so different (and I’m sure some of it is my subjective experience), that I can’t even start. All I’ll say is I’m lucky to have asked her out on my own and had free Chosson classes at YU (gave a small present).
That's a tiny portion of the cost. Do you think YU weddings are generally cheaper than Yeshivish weddings?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
מצוה לפרסם

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
That's a tiny portion of the cost. Do you think YU weddings are generally cheaper than Yeshivish weddings?
I know. I just stopped at the first 2 line items as I didn’t have them. Nope the actually wedding is probably just as expensive, but I certainly didn’t have a lot of those non-wedding related costs. I guess you never know what other people are doing but some of those things seemed certainly surprising - Buying furniture? A car?

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I know. I just stopped at the first 2 line items as I didn’t have them. Nope the actually wedding is probably just as expensive, but I certainly didn’t have a lot of those non-wedding related costs. I guess you never know what other people are doing but some of those things seemed certainly surprising - Buying furniture? A car?

Yes. Personally never liked that parents are expected to do so much.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
We got garage sale furniture and an old junker van hand me down to borrow :)

I was 23, Mimi was 21, and with Gds help we made it on our own even during the great recession when we got married.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 06:30:02 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
I guess I'll jump in...
DW and I both 22 when we got married. Actual wedding day costs 14k at the Concord al"h.  Including 1 man band $1500, flowers, hall and dinner for 350. Food was nothing to write home about but the wedding was amazing and would have been just as amazing if we got married at Sasson Vsimcha for $6000 all inclusive. (Some friends actually did). We didn't chose the hall. DW gown was borrowed, my suit was $99 JosBank clearance. After the wedding, we went straight to our very own 2.5 bedroom walk in level basement apartment in Brooklyn which we paid $1000 monthly for until we moved to Boston 7 years later.
Bedroom set was 3rd hand gift. Dining room table and chairs were purchased second hand made it all on our own and hosted all yamim tovim  the first 2 years we were married (hashem yeracheim  :) ) 7 years later we bought our own home in Boston with a 20% down payment and continued to lived in the basement of our home with  4 children bli ayin hara, while renting the top levels to replenish our savings . There are many just like us... Just doesn't make the "news" since we're just average Joe's living day to day, not millionaires but not 10s of thousands in debt... In short nothing news worthy.... This year we rented the basement and live upstairs and can finally afford our very own 14ft quarantinetrampoline in the backyard  :D

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I guess I'll jump in...
DW and I both 22 when we got married. Actual wedding day costs 14k at the Concord al"h.  Including 1 man band $1500, flowers, hall and dinner for 350. Food was nothing to write home about but the wedding was amazing and would have been just as amazing if we got married at Sasson Vsimcha for $6000 all inclusive. (Some friends actually did). We didn't chose the hall. DW gown was borrowed, my suit was $99 JosBank clearance. After the wedding, we went straight to our very own 2.5 bedroom walk in level basement apartment in Brooklyn which we paid $1000 monthly for until we moved to Boston 7 years later.
Bedroom set was 3rd hand gift. Dining room table and chairs were purchased second hand made it all on our own and hosted all yamim tovim  the first 2 years we were married (hashem yeracheim  :) ) 7 years later we bought our own home in Boston with a 20% down payment and continued to lived in the basement of our home with  4 children bli ayin hara, while renting the top levels to replenish our savings . There are many just like us... Just doesn't make the "news" since we're just average Joe's living day to day, not millionaires but not 10s of thousands in debt... In short nothing news worthy.... This year we rented the basement and live upstairs and can finally afford our very own 14ft quarantinetrampoline in the backyard  :D
From Brooklyn to Boston, would be nice to read your insights here; https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=21675.0

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
From Brooklyn to Boston, would be nice to read your insights here; https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=21675.0
i grew up in Dallas, St Louis, and Chicago....

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
i grew up in Dallas, St Louis, and Chicago....
Wow some diverse background, so I'm sure you don't know where to start anyway..

Offline Chapshnell

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.