Topic Wiki

Initiative to lower the standards:   https://simchainitiative.org/

Mishpacha Article link:                     https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs/
                                                     https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs-the-conversation-continues-2/

Jewish Pr. Interview W/R Reisman   https://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/interviews-and-profiles/over-1300-sign-pledge-to-hold-simpler-weddings-an-interview-with-rav-yisroel-reisman-rosh-yeshiva-of-torah-vodaath/2020/05/13/

Some interesting articles covering the guidelines from similar efforts 20 years ago

https://agudah.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/JO2002-V35-N06.pdf  page 10 article by Prof. Aaron Twerski
https://agudah.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/JO2006-V39-N041.pdf page 43 article by R Aryeh Zev Ginzberg
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/25/us/religion-journal-a-big-wedding-with-a-smaller-bill.html
« Last edited by David61 on May 28, 2020, 06:29:23 PM »

Poll

Wedding expenses in the frum community

Thank G-d for simchas
12 (6%)
This has gotten out of hand and a remedy is needed
150 (75%)
It's a problem but has always been this way and we'll manage as we have till now
38 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Author Topic: POLL: Wedding expenses in the frum Community - BH for simchos? or out of hand?  (Read 122788 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
The only way to cut expenses & make most people happy is that it should be the "norm" to have a simple wedding.
starts by enlightening the children
THe wedding itself is well below half the cost.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
THe wedding itself is well below half the cost.

Correct, that was exactly my point. The wedding is only half the problem.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
It does not need to be elaborate to be costly. Any time someone invites siblings and families you can have enough to make it either a lot of work and stress to do yourself or expensive. Yes you can make them small in sioze that only unmarrieds or couples come and cut it down somewhat, but even then it can be a lot of work for someone who just made a chasuna to do on their own and expensive to buy.

I agree that its not solely about the wedding night, but overall Shabbos Sheva Brochos doesn't seem to be the big issue here. 

Online aygart

• View Profile

Not even.

Online aygart

• View Profile
I agree that its not solely about the wedding night, but overall Shabbos Sheva Brochos doesn't seem to be the big issue here. 
Correct although it can end up reaching more than half the cost of a wedding even when it is not elaborate.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
Correct although it can end up reaching more than half the cost of a wedding even when it is not elaborate.

Disagree on this particular point, regardless would love to see your breakdown of 35k , as i believe it can be done for far less.
irrespective of the above , if one is BH wealthy , they could make a wedding as they please, i take issue with people who "have no savings" "are living paycheck to paycheck" etc. and are making weddings they cant afford,  it reflects how they go about their daily lives when it comes to being financially responsible.     

This topic is but a symptom of a much larger problem plaguing US society as a whole, and our community in particular.
It boggles my mind when i speak to young couples about starting a SIMCHA FUND , and their reaction is " we can always take a HELOC" ?!?!       

Online aygart

• View Profile

Disagree on this particular point,     
I am talking from experience on that part.

Can it be less? Yes. Significantly is subjective, but even 35k is very much the low end once you include shaitels, setting up the house, basic gifts, shabbos sheva brachos, gowns, clothes for the simcha, clothes for the kallah (including a vort dress). Have you gone through it?
I fully agree on your last point.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
I am talking from experience on that part.

Can it be less? Yes. Significantly is subjective, but even 35k is very much the low end once you include shaitels, setting up the house, basic gifts, shabbos sheva brachos, gowns, clothes for the simcha, clothes for the kallah (including a vort dress). Have you gone through it?
I fully agree on your last point.

yes.
" but even 35k is very much the low end" by what measuring stick? is the couple going to lack basic necessities?
(I know many a Kallah who spent $200 on a beautiful Vort dress).
will IMYH post a breakdown.

Online Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Im sure the initiative is well intended, but it doesn't actually address the problem. 

I think that we are going about the wrong away, trying to make Takonos doesn't work outside of a few tight-knit sects of the Chasidic community. ( and the few i've seen are absurd)

For the most part those that can't afford it and are making lavish weddings , are the same people that drive an expensive lease while in debt or living paycheck to paycheck, while the neighbors who live below their means ( and possibly have a higher income) buy a 3 YO used car, and have hundreds of thousands of $ in their  401K, IRA and Retirement funds, and are making a nice simple wedding they can afford.

Here are some excerpts that make you wonder, how we've come to such a state of financial ignorance.
"Our family is solidly middle class, with everything that implies. we usually carry credit card debt from month to month"
spent $ 67,000

"And while the business is doing well,we still have some debt to pay off"
" we didn't have any money in savings when our daughter got engaged"
"Still, even if we can afford it, we intend to curb the spending next time"
spent $151,000

"we live from paycheck to paycheck,and i wasn't going above my means to conform to communal standards. and then i did."
spent $94,000

These high cost weddings are a symptom of an overall issue of not living within one's means.
The kicker from one of those (67k one) was "but my daughter deserves it... WTAF

reminds me of the Mishna
מַעֲשֶׂה בְּרַבִּי יוֹחָנָן בֶּן מַתְיָא שֶׁאָמַר לִבְנוֹ, צֵא שְׂכֹר לָנוּ פוֹעֲלִים. הָלַךְ וּפָסַק לָהֶם מְזוֹנוֹת. וּכְשֶׁבָּא אֵצֶל אָבִיו, אָמַר לוֹ, בְּנִי, אֲפִלּוּ אִם אַתָּה עוֹשֶׂה לָהֶם כִּסְעֻדַּת שְׁלֹמֹה בִשְׁעָתוֹ, לֹא יָצָאתָ יְדֵי חוֹבָתְךָ עִמָּהֶן, שֶׁהֵן בְּנֵי אַבְרָהָם יִצְחָק וְיַעֲקֹב

Online aygart

• View Profile
yes.
" but even 35k is very much the low end" by what measuring stick? is the couple going to lack basic necessities?
(I know many a Kallah who spent $200 on a beautiful Vort dress).
will IMYH post a breakdown.
I am sure that you can cut it down significantly even from there, but not everyone can bring girls around from gemach to gamach for weeks to get them gowns without it costing them more in their income than the benefit. Not every girl will be able to withstand the peer pressure and will feel very deprived getting a synthetic shaitel. A lot can be done by cutting some corners but that is not always practical even without being elaborate or showy. You can't expect every girl to be happy with low end walmart linen.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
I am sure that you can cut it down significantly even from there, but not everyone can bring girls around from gemach to gamach for weeks to get them gowns without it costing them more in their income than the benefit. Not every girl will be able to withstand the peer pressure and will feel very deprived getting a synthetic shaitel. A lot can be done by cutting some corners but that is not always practical even without being elaborate or showy. You can't expect every girl to be happy with low end walmart linen.

"Not every girl will be able to withstand the peer pressure and will feel very deprived getting a synthetic shaitel"
idk of any girl buying synthetic shaitels these days, the cost of a low end human hair shaitel is 1-2k.
the fact that there is peer pressure is not a carte blanche to spend more then one can afford.

Offline shwarmabob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
You can't expect every girl to be happy with low end walmart linen.
there are many options between "walmart linen" and "$6.5k on linens and towels"
If I told DW now many years after our chassunah to go and spend "$6.5k on linens and towels" she would take me to the doctor to get me checked out.
young couples don't have to start out as the kings of the material world. it's something to be earned...

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
If I told DW now many years after our chassunah to go and spend "$6.5k on linens and towels" she would take me to the doctor to get me checked out.
young couples don't have to start out as the kings of the material world. it's something to be earned...

As she should, my DW would do the same.

Online EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
On topic.

Online aygart

• View Profile
"Not every girl will be able to withstand the peer pressure and will feel very deprived getting a synthetic shaitel"
idk of any girl buying synthetic shaitels these days, the cost of a low end human hair shaitel is 1-2k.
the fact that there is peer pressure is not a carte blanche to spend more then one can afford.

Agreed. I made a very basic off the cuff calculations of some costs but can be off on a bunch of stuff since I unfortunately went through my father's illness and petira during my daughter's engagement and somewhat lost track of some expenses. I reached 40,0000 very quickly.

wedding
vort
$3,000
shaitels
basic furniture
kallah clothing
shabbos sheva brachos
gowns
gifts
Simcha clothing
set up house

Offline Shmulie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile

6.5k for linen and towels??? what are they made out of????

Agreed. I made a very basic off the cuff calculations of some costs but can be off on a bunch of stuff since I unfortunately went through my father's illness and petira during my daughter's engagement and somewhat lost track of some expenses. I reached 40,0000 very quickly.

basic furniture 5000
set up house 5000

what is the difference between nasic furniture and setup the house? total is 10k?

Online aygart

• View Profile
6.5k for linen and towels??? what are they made out of????

what is the difference between nasic furniture and setup the house? total is 10k?

Set up house is pot pans linen dishes utensils and the like. Yes it costs a lot of money to set up a new home. I think that is one of the low estimates.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile

wedding
vort
$3,000
shaitels
basic furniture
kallah clothing
shabbos sheva brachos
gowns
gifts
Simcha clothing
set up house

Interesting. Can I ask how many people you had at the wedding? (for the meal)

If your expenses are a more realistic representation of what the average wedding expenses look like and only 12k was spent on the wedding itself, how much is this 250-person-wedding campaign really going to save people? If it cuts 20% off the 12k, that's only a 6% savings on the overall cost of marrying off a child!

I'm not saying that I have a better solution, just wondering how much of a savings people will see from reducing the guest count.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
Interesting. Can I ask how many people you had at the wedding? (for the meal)

If your expenses are a more realistic representation of what the average wedding expenses look like and only 12k was spent on the wedding itself, how much is this 250-person-wedding campaign really going to save people? If it cuts 20% off the 12k, that's only a 6% savings on the overall cost of marrying off a child!

I'm not saying that I have a better solution, just wondering how much of a savings people will see from reducing the guest count.

Guest count is not the issue.