Topic Wiki

Initiative to lower the standards:   https://simchainitiative.org/

Mishpacha Article link:                     https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs/
                                                     https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs-the-conversation-continues-2/

Jewish Pr. Interview W/R Reisman   https://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/interviews-and-profiles/over-1300-sign-pledge-to-hold-simpler-weddings-an-interview-with-rav-yisroel-reisman-rosh-yeshiva-of-torah-vodaath/2020/05/13/

Some interesting articles covering the guidelines from similar efforts 20 years ago

https://agudah.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/JO2002-V35-N06.pdf  page 10 article by Prof. Aaron Twerski
https://agudah.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/JO2006-V39-N041.pdf page 43 article by R Aryeh Zev Ginzberg
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/25/us/religion-journal-a-big-wedding-with-a-smaller-bill.html
« Last edited by David61 on May 28, 2020, 06:29:23 PM »

Poll

Wedding expenses in the frum community

Thank G-d for simchas
12 (6%)
This has gotten out of hand and a remedy is needed
150 (75%)
It's a problem but has always been this way and we'll manage as we have till now
38 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Author Topic: POLL: Wedding expenses in the frum Community - BH for simchos? or out of hand?  (Read 122864 times)

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
Guest count is not the issue.

That was exactly my question. simchainitiative.org seems to think it is.

ETA: I looked at their wording again, and they seem to also only want family and the friends of the chosson & kallah invited, not parents' friends, acquaintances, etc. Maybe their hope is that the number will be a lot lower than 250 for most.

And maybe when they say "250 invited guests" they mean 250 invitations sent out for the meal, with presumably far fewer actually at the meal.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Interesting. Can I ask how many people you had at the wedding? (for the meal)

If your expenses are a more realistic representation of what the average wedding expenses look like and only 12k was spent on the wedding itself, how much is this 250-person-wedding campaign really going to save people? If it cuts 20% off the 12k, that's only a 6% savings on the overall cost of marrying off a child!

I'm not saying that I have a better solution, just wondering how much of a savings people will see from reducing the guest count.
We made an upgraded takana wedding in Fountain Ballroom which is based on 11700+tax for 350 guests. We did spend some more to upgrade a few items but did not include that. It could have been $1000+tax for a standard takana package. I agree that the wedding itself is not where you are going to get much savings for in town weddings. I felt ZERO pressure to do anything more than the upgraded takana wedding with some minor addoitions. None of my friends have done more than that. Almost none of my daughters friends have done more than that. There were some upgrades which my daughter asked me not to do it since she would be embarrassed by it since only the rich and showy people did that.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online aygart

• View Profile
That was exactly my question. simchainitiative.org seems to think it is.

ETA: I looked at their wording again, and they seem to also only want family and the friends of the chosson & kallah invited, not parents' friends, acquaintances, etc. Maybe their hope is that the number will be a lot lower than 250 for most.

And maybe when they say "250 invited guests" they mean 250 invitations sent out for the meal, with presumably far fewer actually at the meal.

They can be wrong and probably are. I don't think the halls and caterers can get much less that what they are getting for the takana package and be profitable.

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
We made an upgraded takana wedding in Fountain Ballroom which is based on 11700+tax for 350 guests. We did spend some more to upgrade a few items but did not include that. It could have been $1000+tax for a standard takana package. I agree that the wedding itself is not where you are going to get much savings for in town weddings. I felt ZERO pressure to do anything more than the upgraded takana wedding with some minor addoitions. None of my friends have done more than that. Almost none of my daughters friends have done more than that. There were some upgrades which my daughter asked me not to do it since she would be embarrassed by it since only the rich and showy people did that.
$11700 is half (split costs) or total?

Online aygart

• View Profile
$11700 is half (split costs) or total?
Kallah side

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
They can be wrong and probably are. I don't think the halls and caterers can get much less that what they are getting for the takana package and be profitable.
dont they have minimums anyway

Online aygart

• View Profile
dont they have minimums anyway
Yes for exactly this reason. I guess there can be smaller halls.

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Agreed. I made a very basic off the cuff calculations of some costs but can be off on a bunch of stuff since I unfortunately went through my father's illness and petira during my daughter's engagement and somewhat lost track of some expenses. I reached 40,0000 very quickly.

wedding
vort
$3,000
shaitels
basic furniture
kallah clothing
shabbos sheva brachos
gowns
gifts
Simcha clothing
set up house

I guess that excludes shadchanus, typically at least 2k.

Perhaps part of the problem, but in some circles it’s become customary to get chosson a watch, shas, talis, talis bags, kittel, and a silver item (e.g menorah or esrog box). It could be hard to get all that for less than 3k even on a tight budget.

I think the problem is about a lack of information (knowing the costs is a start), financial planning (thinking long-term, needs vs wants, understanding the long term costs of debt and the long-term benefits of saving and investing), and pressure the parents feel to keep up with the neighbors (which is why those who can afford to spend lavishly need to help be part of the solution).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 06:59:01 PM by David61 »

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
I think the problem is about a lack of information (knowing the costs is a start), financial planning (thinking long-term, needs vs wants, understanding the long term costs of debt and the long-term benefits of saving and investing)
https://www.mesila.org/

Online aygart

• View Profile
I guess that excludes shadchanus, typically at least 2k.

Perhaps part of the problem, but in some circles it’s become customary to get chosson a watch, shas, talis, talis bags, kittel, and a silver item (e.g menorah or esrog box). It could be hard to get all that for less than 3k even on a tight budget.

I think the problem is about a lack of information (knowing the costs is a start), financial planning (thinking long-term, needs vs wants, understanding the long term costs of debt and the long-term benefits of saving and investing), and pressure the parents feel to keep up with the neighbors (which is why those who can afford to spend lavishly need to help be part of the solution).
Yes I forgot about that and underestimated gifts.

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Agreed. I made a very basic off the cuff calculations of some costs but can be off on a bunch of stuff since I unfortunately went through my father's illness and petira during my daughter's engagement and somewhat lost track of some expenses. I reached 40,0000 very quickly.

wedding
vort
$3,000
shaitels
basic furniture
kallah clothing
shabbos sheva brachos
gowns
gifts
Simcha clothing
set up house
What can I say... A lot of these figures seem high.. Not exorbitantly but high nonetheless. It would seem that that almost every person doing a Bais Faiga wedding is spending substantially less.

Offline moko

• View Profile
To me, these issues don't seem unique to our community.
I have secular clients crying to me that they can't afford our fees, which are well below industry standard.
They say this while renting an expensive apartment in Cleveland Circle or Back Bay Boston and driving a leased BMW or Mercedes. They tend to have 10s of thousands in CC debt as well.
We live in a society where someone can graduate with hundreds of thousands in student loans with potential for a mediocre job at best. they then need to live in the hottest real estate market and drive a leased late model luxury vehicle.
Dave Ramsey got a lot of bad press on this forum but the truth is much (most?) of our community and the world needs a dose of Dave Ramsey

Offline Iz

• View Profile
What can I say... A lot of these figures seem high.. Not exorbitantly but high nonetheless. It would seem that that almost every person doing a Bais Faiga wedding is spending substantially less.
+1 re vort. $3000 for a moderate regular (not fancy) Lakewood vort?

Offline Sammyonetwo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
We can talk all about this and the plans to switch but the reason for all the fancy weddings and everything else we get nicer the we really need is because of Peer pressure period.

The reason why we have so much peer pressure is because only in the frum community do we have really rich people living next door to someone who is broke and can’t put food on the table they all go to the same schools a lot are friendly with each other.

Having this creates peer pressure that not other community has and even the not wealthy have to live and look like their neighbor who are millionaires.

Till we fix this which will never happen because it shouldn’t the weddings the cars will always stay the same.

People who can afford the real luxuries will not give that up and shouldn’t have to because their neighbor gets peer pressure from it.

My two cents.

Offline Iz

• View Profile
Dave Ramsey got a lot of bad press on this forum but the truth is much (most?) of our community and the world needs a dose of Dave Ramsey
Did he get bad press for anything other than his crusade against credit cards for points etc?

Online aygart

• View Profile
Yes some may be on the higher end. This came out 25% higher than the the 35000 number I was trying to show. Also some are low and some costs left out as discussed above.

Online aygart

• View Profile
+1 re vort. $3000 for a moderate regular (not fancy) Lakewood vort?
These were very of the top of my head numbers.

Online aygart

• View Profile
To me, these issues don't seem unique to our community.
I have secular clients crying to me that they can't afford our fees, which are well below industry standard.
They say this while renting an expensive apartment in Cleveland Circle or Back Bay Boston and driving a leased BMW or Mercedes. They tend to have 10s of thousands in CC debt as well.
We live in a society where someone can graduate with hundreds of thousands in student loans with potential for a mediocre job at best. they then need to live in the hottest real estate market and drive a leased late model luxury vehicle.
I have told people discussing the points game that it is great until the first time you don't pay a bill in full. If that happens even once then you need to go full save Ramsey

Offline moko

• View Profile
Did he get bad press for anything other than his crusade against credit cards for points etc?
He's right about exactly that. "Normal" in this case shouldn't be trying to accumulate credit card points. So he's blown it out of proportion according to some? Sure beets the alternative which is far more common. On this forum which preaches never carry any credit card debt but credit cards are ok, there threads about credit card debt.
Those people should get off this forum and join financial peace university.
end rant

Offline Iz

• View Profile
He's right about exactly that. "Normal" in this case shouldn't be trying to accumulate credit card points. So he's blown it out of proportion according to some? Sure beets the alternative which is far more common. On this forum which preaches never carry any credit card debt but credit cards are ok, there threads about credit card debt.
Those people should get off this forum and join financial peace university.
end rant
I am not debating that. I am simply pointing out that afaik, nobody here disagrees with all the rest of it, i.e. live within your means, don't borrow (what you can't afford to pay in full every month), etc.