Topic Wiki

Initiative to lower the standards:   https://simchainitiative.org/

Mishpacha Article link:                     https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs/
                                                     https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs-the-conversation-continues-2/

Jewish Pr. Interview W/R Reisman   https://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/interviews-and-profiles/over-1300-sign-pledge-to-hold-simpler-weddings-an-interview-with-rav-yisroel-reisman-rosh-yeshiva-of-torah-vodaath/2020/05/13/

Some interesting articles covering the guidelines from similar efforts 20 years ago

https://agudah.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/JO2002-V35-N06.pdf  page 10 article by Prof. Aaron Twerski
https://agudah.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/JO2006-V39-N041.pdf page 43 article by R Aryeh Zev Ginzberg
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/25/us/religion-journal-a-big-wedding-with-a-smaller-bill.html
« Last edited by David61 on May 28, 2020, 06:29:23 PM »

Poll

Wedding expenses in the frum community

Thank G-d for simchas
12 (6%)
This has gotten out of hand and a remedy is needed
150 (75%)
It's a problem but has always been this way and we'll manage as we have till now
38 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Author Topic: POLL: Wedding expenses in the frum Community - BH for simchos? or out of hand?  (Read 124815 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Not my words. Anyway, that's what the Mishpacha article and the like is all about. No discussion for communities without this problem.
Never seen this OOT for starters.
What goes on in Crown Heights @ExGingi @Yehuda57 ?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
They're all buying Italian furniture? I find that hard to believe.
Please define what exactly these expectations are and which communities.
Doesn't have to be Italian per se, but a bedroom set, sofa, dinette set and dining room set (although recently I'm hearing of more and more people that didn't get a dining room set) from a regular Jewish furniture store, not wayfair etc. And this is just furniture...

I don't know about specific communities, this is in general that I see at least in the Brooklyn/Monsey/Lakewood communities.

Offline shapsam

• View Profile
Then there's gifts, Shabbos oifruf/sheva brochos, linen, china/silverware/pots/small kitchen appliances, sometimes all/some big appliances, clothing for the choson/kallah and the family, shtreimals, sheitels, etc.

Offline shapsam

• View Profile
In Lakewood I know many people get a $10-15k car for the couple, but this is already a different discussion about peoples expectations to support the couple, ranging from paying their rent to basically full financial support for 2-5 years, which is also pretty mainstream.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 11:43:35 PM by shapsam »

Offline yeshivabucher

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
In Lakewood I know many people get a $10-15k car for the couple, but this is already a different discussion about peoples expectations to support the couple, ranging from paying their rent to basically full financial support for 2-5 years, which is also pretty mainstream.
personally for me while i would have liked the previous model camery i made sure to work within my budget and got a few years earlier for less then half the price (btw saved a ton on taxes and insurance)

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
personally for me while i would have liked the previous model camery i made sure to work within my budget and got a few years earlier for less then half the price (btw saved a ton on taxes and insurance)
parents offered to help a bit but was (fortunately) not willing to spend 12-15k got a 2011 in excellent condition for 5500 and more then happy

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
So the brainstorms now invented Chassuna mall/wedding plaza where you can get Italian designed- Chinese made furniture for less..
that break before you get to use them
["-"]

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
while i would have liked the previous model camery
May that be your greatest תאווה
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
I don't see how it's possible for them to make a profit.
If it can be done for a Bar Mitzva why can't it be done for a wedding?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
If it can be done for a Bar Mitzva why can't it be done for a wedding?
The labor alone should make this a losing proposition -

Photographer - $1,000 (including photo touch ups and digital photos)

OMB - $800

Waiters - 5 x 20 per hour x 5 hours = 500

Kitchen/cleaning staff for event - 4 x 15 per hour x 5 hours = 300 + chef @ 200 per diem = 500

Hall manager - $200 per diem

Total 3000. That leaves 1500 for food costs (including prep), flowers, and overhead.

Even if you cut a couple hundred off of this, it's not profitable. Either there has to be a donor here, or all these people are hurting so much, they're willing to do events on the cheap to just get something.

Offline coffeebean

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile

OMB - $800

Kitchen/cleaning staff for event - 4 x 15 per hour x 5 hours = 300 + chef @ 200 per diem = 500

Total 3000. That leaves 1500 for food costs (including prep), flowers, and overhead.

Even if you cut a couple hundred off of this, it's not profitable. Either there has to be a donor here, or all these people are hurting so much, they're willing to do events on the cheap to just get something.
Agree

Online aygart

• View Profile

OMB - $800

You did not address my question at all.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
You did not address my question at all.
Are bar mitzvahs this cheap?

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
And you don't think that it is ridiculous?

Online aygart

• View Profile
Are bar mitzvahs this cheap?

Definitely doable easily for 100p.

Offline pbf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
How about this radical idea.

Let people get married when they're a bit older than 18 and have been able to save up.

If they want a more expensive wedding, or something above standard, let them pay for it themselves.

I am single and have some ideas for what I would want extra at my wedding, but I would never ask my parents or in-laws to pay for it.

Offline shapsam

• View Profile
And you don't think that it is ridiculous?
For parents to go into debt for it, of course its ridiculous. I happen to know someone that was already in debt that is supporting the couples 2 year Israel excursion because his daughter decided she wants to live in Israel.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 12:43:07 PM by shapsam »

Offline shapsam

• View Profile
Definitely doable easily for 100p.
What's 100p, $100 per couple? The bar mitzvas in my family were about $6-7k for 40 couples, that includes the hall, caterer, waiters/kitchen staff plus tips, mashgiach fee, party planner, not over the top flowers, no paid music or photographer. I know in Lakewood it can be a little cheaper, but still not what we're talking about for $4500.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
I think the takana wedding is a good idea, but I'm not sure the takanos go far enough. I think a limit of 100 non immediate family (grandparents, siblings' families) makes sense.

The bar should be set that 150-200 people is standard and anything more is excessive. Right now, the low-end seems to be 300-400.

This would change the economics faster than saying the type of food that can or can't be served.

Offline Jellybelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
How about this radical idea.

Let people get married when they're a bit older than 18 and have been able to save up.

If they want a more expensive wedding, or something above standard, let them pay for it themselves.

I am single and have some ideas for what I would want extra at my wedding, but I would never ask my parents or in-laws to pay for it.
That won’t help for the Yeshiva community, where the boys usually  don’t work. Unless your talking about the girls waiting longer, but I think you’ll have organizations like Libbi on your case