Topic Wiki

You can apply at https://covidserum.com/ to register with Mount Sinai and at top left corner click tab to get tested in most N.Y. Jewish neighborhoods
There is this from a private organization
https://covidplasmasavealife.com/
« Last edited by simple26 on April 20, 2020, 03:08:22 PM »

Author Topic: Donating blood/plasmas  (Read 30711 times)

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Donating blood/plasmas
« Reply #260 on: August 05, 2020, 09:07:02 AM »
Has plasma been working to treat Covid patients?
I see the Frum organizations are still trying to get people to donate. They’re having locations in lkwd and in the Catskills this week, I’m just curious if it’s actually working because I haven’t heard much about it.
It's still considered an experimental treatment, while researchers analyze how much it might help.  The earliest use gave it to patients who were in pretty bad shape, as a last-ditch effort to save them, and in those cases, it doesn't seem to have helped. 

Subsequently, it's being used in earlier stages of disease, within a few days of diagnosis, and is showing more positive results.  In Mount Sinai's first small study in May, a smaller percent of patients treated with plasma got sicker, a smaller percent died.  So it wasn't a magic bullet, but it was helpful.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/22/health/coronarvirus-convalescent-serum.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

Yesterday, WSJ described an oral report (not yet peer reviewed) that showed that those given a higher dose of plasma did better than those given a lower dose: "Patients who at three days or less after diagnosis received plasma containing high levels of antibodies against the coronavirus had a mortality rate of 6.6% at seven days after the transfusion. That compared with a mortality rate of 13.3% for patients who got plasma with low levels of antibodies at four days or more after diagnosis. That indicates reduced mortality of about 50%, the researchers said."
https://www.wsj.com/articles/convalescent-plasma-reduced-death-rate-among-covid-19-patients-study-data-signals-11596594390

But even there, the mortality rate was reduced to 36% by 30 days after transfusion. 

So it seems to be an effective treatment in some cases, and the researchers are trying to analyze which patients are most likely to be helped by it. 

Offline NTorch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 05, 2020, 10:07:57 AM »
I went to donate plasma, and apparently the new machines need you to have big veins (because is takes and replaces the blood in the same needle) which I dont. So I donated blood and they tagged it for plasma (so they can draw It out later if needed).

My son donated plasma in May and was really tired after. So I arranged through NY Blood Center to have them draw whole blood and then extract plasma from my pint.

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 05, 2020, 11:36:50 AM »
My son donated plasma in May and was really tired after. So I arranged through NY Blood Center to have them draw whole blood and then extract plasma from my pint.
Interesting, because I was told that plasma is easier to give and affects you less than giving blood because they give you your blood back

Offline NTorch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 05, 2020, 11:46:53 AM »
Interesting, because I was told that plasma is easier to give and affects you less than giving blood because they give you your blood back

Not for him. We went to Maimonides on a Sunday in May around 10 AM. Took him for pizza right after and then on the drive home he said that he was tired and he wound up sleeping a big chunk of the afternoon. BH he is 18 and an athlete and in decent shape, so I decided as a 50 year old to just do the whole blood route.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 05, 2020, 01:15:47 PM »
Definitely not easier to give. Takes longer and is more painful. You get back your red blood cells so you can give more plasma. I dont know how you feel after though because I didnt end up past getting the needle in and drawing a little blood.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 05, 2020, 02:53:06 PM »
Definitely not easier to give. Takes longer and is more painful. You get back your red blood cells so you can give more plasma. I dont know how you feel after though because I didnt end up past getting the needle in and drawing a little blood.
What happened? You stopped in middle?

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 05, 2020, 03:03:34 PM »
What happened? You stopped in middle?
After drawing a little blood they decided it wouldn't work.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 07, 2020, 11:16:14 AM »

I just gave and had a very different experience. I never donated blood before so I can’t compare. I did not find it painful in anyway and the actual process took 45 min, but it took around an hour till I actually donated cuz they ask you a million questions. Not sure why but they make you commit to giving twice. I would definitely donate again if there really is a need and it actually saves lives.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 20, 2020, 08:16:41 AM »
Any reason a hospital would absolutely refuse to give a young person plasma to try & save her ?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 11, 2021, 07:05:44 AM »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 15, 2021, 01:23:24 PM »
Counterpoint
https://www.njspotlight.com/video/convalescent-plasma-with-high-antibody-levels-shows-promise-as-covid-19-treatment/

So odd. The study I quoted showed no statistically significant improvement for patients receiving convalescent plasma. I wonder how these results can be so inconsistent.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #273 on: March 15, 2021, 03:04:37 PM »
I’ve been getting the feeling that the medical establishment doesn’t currently believe too much in convalescent plasma, although they’re still optimistic about monoclonal antibodies.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.