Author Topic: The science of COVID-19  (Read 49328 times)

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: The science of COVID-19
« Reply #320 on: June 25, 2020, 12:31:30 AM »
Is anyone here following TWiV (This Week in Virology https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/) podcast? I saw it mentioned on Twitter as having some good info, but there are several chapters and they are all quite long, so I was wondering if anyone has good info synthesized from the podcast.
This is great!  I started listening to a few, and they seem fairly clear, though long.    (I actually met the interviewer, Alan Dove, a few years back at a workshop he gave on science writing, one of my career ideas that went nowhere.)  With captions on, it's possible to listen at 2X speed, but it's still an hour long and I'd rather read a transcript.  630 episodes?!  One down, 629 to go.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #321 on: June 25, 2020, 01:28:01 AM »
This is great!  I started listening to a few, and they seem fairly clear, though long.    (I actually met the interviewer, Alan Dove, a few years back at a workshop he gave on science writing, one of my career ideas that went nowhere.)  With captions on, it's possible to listen at 2X speed, but it's still an hour long and I'd rather read a transcript.  630 episodes?!  One down, 629 to go.

Are you going from most recent to oldest?

I think the episodes with Daniel Griffin as a guest might be most pertinent.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 28, 2020, 11:45:58 PM »
I feel like there is a misconception about what herd immunity is.
Herd immunity occurs when a large portion of a community (the herd) becomes immune to a disease, making the spread of disease from person to person unlikely. As a result, the whole community becomes protected — not just those who are immune.
Basically if a person or persons with corona walks into a place like monsey/bp/willi/ch/any other Frum place lots of Corona, chances of even one person getting it are extremely low. Which is why all of the above totally don't acknowledge it anymore because chances of it being an issue are extremely low in the foreseeable future.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #323 on: June 29, 2020, 12:05:45 AM »
I feel like there is a misconception about what herd immunity is.
Herd immunity occurs when a large portion of a community (the herd) becomes immune to a disease, making the spread of disease from person to person unlikely. As a result, the whole community becomes protected — not just those who are immune.
Basically if a person or persons with corona walks into a place like monsey/bp/willi/ch/any other Frum place lots of Corona, chances of even one person getting it are extremely low. Which is why all of the above totally don't acknowledge it anymore because chances of it being an issue are extremely low in the foreseeable future.
Umm so yeah that’s not what herd immunity means, not even a little. At best that’s loosely based on a true story. And that perception is a large part of people’s mistaken attitudes.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 29, 2020, 12:06:37 AM »
Umm so yeah that’s not what herd immunity means, even a little. At best that’s based on a true story.
I literally copied that off a medical website. But ya OK

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #325 on: June 29, 2020, 12:07:40 AM »
I literally copied that off a medical website. But ya OK
Why don’t you post the source? Because that’s not what it means. There are only two sentences in there that can be true in the proper context.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 29, 2020, 12:08:59 AM »
Why don’t you post the source? Because that’s not what it means.
That's why i posted it, people like you who think they know things but don't, and it never stops them from saying things they don't know anything about. That's exactly why I posted, congrats.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/herd-immunity-and-coronavirus/art-20486808

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #327 on: June 29, 2020, 12:10:24 AM »
That's why i posted it, people like who think they know things but don't, and it never stops them for saying these they don't know anything about. That's exactly why I posted, congrats.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/herd-immunity-and-coronavirus/art-20486808
You’ve skipped words and sentences in the past. Seems in this case you glossed over most of the article.

ETA: Instead of me explaining how your inference was wholly incorrect, why don’t you reread the article? If you still don’t see what was wrong I can explain it if you’d like.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 29, 2020, 03:50:07 PM »
Umm so yeah that’s not what herd immunity means, not even a little. At best that’s loosely based on a true story. And that perception is a large part of people’s mistaken attitudes.
Why don’t you post the source? Because that’s not what it means. There are only two sentences in there that can be true in the proper context.
You’ve skipped words and sentences in the past. Seems in this case you glossed over most of the article.

ETA: Instead of me explaining how your inference was wholly incorrect, why don’t you reread the article? If you still don’t see what was wrong I can explain it if you’d like.
I read the article, please show me where it says what he said is wrong and/or what you said is correct.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 29, 2020, 04:05:20 PM »
I read the article, please show me where it says what he said is wrong and/or what you said is correct.
CMMIW, but I don't think it says one way or the other
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #330 on: June 29, 2020, 04:37:16 PM »
What did I say that needs to be proven correct? I have (partially) explained herd immunity in the past but didn’t here.

Nowhere in the article does it say that it’s “extremely unlikely for even one person” from a community that has reached herd immunity to pick up the virus from elsewhere (let alone the blanket assumption that BP/Willi have indeed achieved that). Nor is that even remotely true. The only implication is that it slows the spread of the virus should it indeed be introduced, and the virus will eventually die for lack of contact with new people to infect (by limiting the pool of people who are vulnerable to infection).

CMMIW, but I don't think it says one way or the other
Correct, it doesn’t, so his inference is false. That’s not what herd immunity means and the inference isn’t true either.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 29, 2020, 04:43:54 PM »
What did I say that needs to be proven correct? I have (partially) explained herd immunity in the past but didn’t here.

Nowhere in the article does it say that it’s “extremely unlikely for even one person” from a community that has reached herd immunity to pick up the virus from elsewhere (let alone the blanket assumption that BP/Willi have indeed achieved that). Nor is that even remotely true. The only implication is that it slows the spread of the virus should it indeed be introduced, and the virus will eventually die for lack of contact with new people to infect (by limiting the pool of people who are vulnerable to infection).
Correct, it doesn’t, so his inference is false. That’s not what herd immunity means and the inference isn’t true either.
You're right. Next time please explain yourself instead of shouting "you don't know what you're talking about".
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #332 on: June 29, 2020, 05:59:34 PM »
You're right. Next time please explain yourself instead of shouting "you don't know what you're talking about".
With some posters I have seen a pattern of seemingly willfully ignoring parts of articles or data sets to draw a conclusion. I did say that if he doesn’t see where he went wrong I could try to explain it.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #333 on: June 30, 2020, 03:07:04 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2020/06/29/coronavirus-mutation-science/?arc404=true

So now we have something made in China with the Europeans creating an improved knock-off (caveat emptor: there's a bit of data and the rest is all theories)
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 30, 2020, 03:09:21 AM »

BUMP @biobook or anyone else, can we get some executive summaries please?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:13:27 AM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 30, 2020, 10:41:36 AM »

@S209 rather than liking my post, you could take the time to listen and give us the summaries yourself.  :P
-- Dan

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #336 on: June 30, 2020, 10:47:04 AM »
@S209 rather than liking my post, you could take the time to listen and give us the summaries yourself.  :P
Hey. Never complain about a free like. ;D

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 30, 2020, 11:47:12 AM »

There are over 600 podcasts, at 2 hours each, that's a lot of listening....  In other words, very time consuming to listen to, and then to summarize.
And much of it relates to things already posted here, so what you're really asking is "Please summarize what I don't already know" which is difficult to do. 
If there's a particular podcast that you heard and didn't understand, I could try to figure it out. But otherwise it hasn't yet gotten to the top of my priority list.

In fact, I'm finding some medical/science writers who are quite efficient at ferreting out the most relevant new discoveries, and writing them up in a much more user-friendly fashion than I can do.  I'm content to wait a week or two for their write-ups.  Here's one recent one, don't remember if it was posted here or not:
How the Coronavirus Short-Circuits the Immune System

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/health/coronavirus-immune-system.html

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 30, 2020, 12:09:17 PM »
Hey. Never complain about a free like. ;D
I didn’t complain about the like, but took the risk of it being taken away so I could have some fun.

@biobook as I said

I would be very interested in the latest from Griffin.
-- Dan

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #339 on: June 30, 2020, 12:13:57 PM »
I didn’t complain about the like, but took the risk of it being taken away
OK I gave you 5 likes. Happy now?