Author Topic: The science of COVID-19  (Read 50132 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
The science of COVID-19
« on: April 16, 2020, 11:56:46 PM »
I recently spoke to a friend who is in his mid 60s. He was tested and confirmed positive, but had extremely mild symptoms. He said he refused to practice any social distancing. His wife tested negative.

Most people I know had mild to very mild symptoms, but some had severe pneumonia (despite no underlying health issues).

One of the first people I was aware that had the virus (and I might have contracted it through common contact) was an elderly lady (IINM in her high 80s) who had mild symptoms and recovered.

I don't see a rhyme or reason to any of this. Is it simply genetic predisposition?

Please post here any relevant information or articles.

Here is one. It does mention obesity, but I know of an obese older person that recovered, and a skinny person that is quite a few years younger that just died ל״ע.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-16/your-risk-of-getting-sick-from-covid-19-may-lie-in-your-genes
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: The science of COVID-19
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 11:57:37 PM »
Is it simply genetic predisposition?
At least partially, yes.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 12:00:57 AM »
At least partially, yes.

Other than the article posted, are there any other scientific articles about this? Is this the new frontier in medicine, genetic based treatment and prevention, being brought upon us by this virus?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 12:08:26 AM »
Noticing many families got hit  way harder multiple generations especially rebbish intermarried families.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 12:16:51 AM »
I think it's fair to say that what we do know about the virus is still way less than what we don't know.

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 12:30:55 AM »
Noticing many families got hit  way harder
Spouses don't share the same DNA.......unless you know.....

especially rebbish intermarried families.

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 12:39:06 AM »
Data point: A close relative of mine, all living in the same house without any quarantining in the house. Father and son tested positive, mother and daughter tested negative. Mother also tested negative for antibodies while father and son tested positive (I mention this to rule out the possibility that she recovered before getting tested). Their married daughter had symptoms and wasnt tested.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 12:46:22 AM »
There is very little information right now. Research is only just beginning.

Could be genetic predisposition, but could also be the extent of the exposure. https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238819-does-a-high-viral-load-or-infectious-dose-make-covid-19-worse/

Though inconclusive, it would make sense that a smaller exposure can be fought off easier by the immune system.

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 01:15:08 AM »
There is very little information right now. Research is only just beginning.

Could be genetic predisposition, but could also be the extent of the exposure. https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238819-does-a-high-viral-load-or-infectious-dose-make-covid-19-worse/

Though inconclusive, it would make sense that a smaller exposure can be fought off easier by the immune system.
Is it possible that some that work in the hospitals know the horror stories of Covid-19 and therefore have more anxiety and discouragement that translates to thier immune system working at a reduced rate?

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 01:55:54 AM by KSMH »
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 07:36:59 AM »
Is it possible that some that work in the hospitals know the horror stories of Covid-19 and therefore have more anxiety and discouragement that translates to thier immune system working at a reduced rate?

If that’s true, and I’m sure stress/anxiety is a factor to some extent in immune-system health, then it isn’t specific to COVID-19.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 07:38:39 AM »
I recently spoke to a friend who is in his mid 60s. He was tested and confirmed positive, but had extremely mild symptoms. He said he refused to practice any social distancing. His wife tested negative.

Most people I know had mild to very mild symptoms, but some had severe pneumonia (despite no underlying health issues).

One of the first people I was aware that had the virus (and I might have contracted it through common contact) was an elderly lady (IINM in her high 80s) who had mild symptoms and recovered.

I don't see a rhyme or reason to any of this. Is it simply genetic predisposition?

Please post here any relevant information or articles.

Here is one. It does mention obesity, but I know of an obese older person that recovered, and a skinny person that is quite a few years younger that just died ל״ע.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-16/your-risk-of-getting-sick-from-covid-19-may-lie-in-your-genes

There are too many variables and not enough data, I’m not sure we can retroactively figure this out once the dust settles. In any case, it’s obvious that (lacking scientific understanding) some people got really lucky and dodged a bullet R”L.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 10:14:42 AM »
I’m thinking that the cruise ships that were afflicted with this virus should be a good indication and should therefore be analyzed. Anecdotal information about a family or two we know is a joke.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 10:30:55 AM »
I’m thinking that the cruise ships that were afflicted with this virus should be a good indication and should therefore be analyzed. Anecdotal information about a family or two we know is a joke.
We need to study and analyze entire populations. We need enough random testing of the population at large to understand the reach of this. Without that, we are just guessing. I saw a report on Arutz Sheva today that leaked documents from the US indicate that the death rate is .15% making it no more deadly than the common flu. I don't know how they jive that with the situation in NYC and dead people piling up.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 10:37:58 AM »
I saw a report on Arutz Sheva today that leaked documents from the US indicate that the death rate is .15% making it no more deadly than the common flu. I don't know how they jive that with the situation in NYC and dead people piling up.
They are most likely guessing how many are really infected.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 10:39:02 AM »
We need to study and analyze entire populations. We need enough random testing of the population at large to understand the reach of this. Without that, we are just guessing. I saw a report on Arutz Sheva today that leaked documents from the US indicate that the death rate is .15% making it no more deadly than the common flu. I don't know how they jive that with the situation in NYC and dead people piling up.
More contagious, no vaccine, no proven treatment, no immunity, etc.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yochiek93

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 10:49:36 AM »
that number might be correct because NY is the epicenter vs other states not hit as hard. The reason for that still needs to be figured out.

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 10:52:34 AM »
If that’s true, and I’m sure stress/anxiety is a factor to some extent in immune-system health, then it isn’t specific to COVID-19.
Correct, but keep in mind in recent history there was never a panic created for a sickness at the level.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2020, 10:56:34 AM »
Correct, but keep in mind in recent history there was never a panic created for a sickness at the level.
AIDS?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 11:01:29 AM »
AIDS?
Not like this. The country is shut. I think most news articles even recognize there was never such a situation in history, and that creates anxiety at unheard of levels.

Speak to your local DR. and ask. I've heard from local EMS that they receive many calls form people thinking they cant breathe due to covid.

I had a relative with covid and he has told me he started feeling a shortness of breath and realized all he has to do is calm down.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 11:12:48 AM »
I had a relative with covid and he has told me he started feeling a shortness of breath and realized all he has to do is calm down.
So you could have saved 150,000 lives by telling everyone to just calm down...