Author Topic: The science of COVID-19  (Read 50075 times)

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: The science of COVID-19
« Reply #280 on: June 18, 2020, 11:30:49 PM »
Even so.

I'm not saying that they are not being extreme, but they have not left the house/backyard since purim...
I know people who have not been in another Bulding/under a roof/ house other than their own since purim. Everything delivered. Or curbside pickup.

They dont think they are extreme because they are willing to go to outdoor hiking trails.

To clarify They honestly believe that they are almost guaranteed to catch it with likely disastrous results if they dare reintegrate. This may be a side effect of being fed CNN by apple news when switching to iPhone before someone tailored their feed.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 11:35:25 PM by Mikes@Micro »
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 18, 2020, 11:38:26 PM »
Even so.

I'm not saying that they are not being extreme, but they have not left the house/backyard since purim...

1. If they’ve been so isolated chances are they don’t have antibodies
2. If they’re this neurotic, would they leave the house with antibodies? After all, antibodies aren’t 100% confirmed to confer permanent immunity
3. If this person isn’t elderly and has no risk factors, they need a home visit from a shrink more than an antibody test...
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #282 on: June 18, 2020, 11:44:41 PM »
2. If they’re this neurotic, would they leave the house with antibodies? After all, antibodies aren’t 100% confirmed to confer permanent immunity
3. If this person isn’t elderly and has no risk factors, they need a home visit from a shrink more than an antibody test...
1. Well the thing is that they had shabbos guests the shabbos after purim, who came down with covid like 2 days later. That was before they (the hosts) got so paranoid. So it's possible that they caught it and were asymptomatic (I don't know how likely, but possible.)
2. I don't know but it might help. But whenever someone mentions to them that maybe they should get tested, the answer is that they don't want to leave the house
3. They are elderly and may have risk factors, I don't know
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 11:51:02 PM by etech0 »
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 18, 2020, 11:50:08 PM »
I know plenty of people who don't want to leave their house now and it's very understandable. Read thru the conversations here on ddf, look at the news. If you didn't know better you would probably be also sitting in your basement huddled up trying to outlive the plague. And if corona was around for so long there's a strong possibility they do have antibodies.

Offline Mikes@Micro

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 18, 2020, 11:53:40 PM »
1) one son in family wasnt feeling well around rosh chodesh Nissan... turns out he had antibodies to donate. Another son who shared room tested negative.....
2) you hit the nail on the head! "There is so much we dont know? Maybe antibodies dont help? Maybe they expire?...."
3)claimed risk factor is everyone! We just dont know! Kawasaki!  My 4yo cant "social distance"!
 another claimed risk factor is infant.... now 3 month old baby..... "I read about a story where mother and baby had to quarantine from each other at two weeks at birth..."
H/t PinchosL

Offline Mikes@Micro

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 18, 2020, 11:59:45 PM »
I know plenty of people who don't want to leave their house now and it's very understandable. Read thru the conversations here on ddf, look at the news. If you didn't know better you would probably be also sitting in your basement huddled up trying to outlive the plague. And if corona was around for so long there's a strong possibility they do have antibodies.
Focus on look at the news:
Guys the news is B A D but there is one thing worse WhatsApp chats..... prob no need to mention any specific fake forwarded FEAR MONGERING messages....

Also letters from seminaries saying you must spend 1800 for a charter flight now on Monday if you wait until scheduled UA flight on Thursday we cant take responsibility!!!! Your daughter might die by staying in her dorm for 3 day!!! Let's say she need to quarantine!!!!

(Rumor has it that travel agent arranging flight paid seminary to send out the email he drafted
Also TLS posted that these agents were putting Holds on other airlines tickets to artificially drive up prices so their flights would look cheaper which obviously added to doomsday predictions about no more flights when you could have actually flown united any day besides 1st day pesach)
H/t PinchosL

Online S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #286 on: June 19, 2020, 12:03:26 AM »
1) one son in family wasnt feeling well around rosh chodesh Nissan... turns out he had antibodies to donate. Another son who shared room tested negative.....
2) you hit the nail on the head! "There is so much we dont know? Maybe antibodies dont help? Maybe they expire?...."
3)claimed risk factor is everyone! We just dont know! Kawasaki!  My 4yo cant "social distance"!
 another claimed risk factor is infant.... now 3 month old baby..... "I read about a story where mother and baby had to quarantine from each other at two weeks at birth..."
I didn’t really understand most of your post but you don’t think a newborn infant should be protected from COVID (and other viruses) to a greater degree?!
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Mikes@Micro

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 19, 2020, 12:24:55 AM »
I didn’t really understand most of your post but you don’t think a newborn infant should be protected from COVID (and other viruses) to a greater degree?!
My post was answers to the questions I got... stuff in quotes are what these scared people are saying.

Yes I do agree that an infant may be more vulnerable, but is there anything to justify keeping an entire family locked up with no end in sight? I am not advocating to bring the baby to a supermarket  but How careful do you need to be with the rest of family? Minimal shopping and social interactions wearing a mask arent acceptable precautions? 
H/t PinchosL

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #288 on: June 19, 2020, 12:55:54 AM »
My post was answers to the questions I got... stuff in quotes are what these scared people are saying.

Yes I do agree that an infant may be more vulnerable, but is there anything to justify keeping an entire family locked up with no end in sight? I am not advocating to bring the baby to a supermarket  but How careful do you need to be with the rest of family? Minimal shopping and social interactions wearing a mask arent acceptable precautions?
If a mother is confirmed COVID positive then I think separating her from her infant child for 2 weeks is heartbreaking but warranted.

I watched my baby daughter nearly die in my arms twice in the last 2 weeks. I wouldn’t wish the feelings I had during those moments on my worst enemy. Ever. Wait the two weeks, it’s well worth it.

BH she is ok now.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 19, 2020, 01:54:50 AM »
If a mother is confirmed COVID positive then I think separating her from her infant child for 2 weeks is heartbreaking but warranted.

Wouldn't the baby have been exposed to covid in  utero? So why separate them?

BH she is ok now.
B"H.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #290 on: June 19, 2020, 07:15:32 AM »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 19, 2020, 08:04:47 AM »
but do they come to your house?
asking for a real person who won't do antibody testing because they won't leave the house
Sure. Google blood test at home.

I know people who have not been in another Bulding/under a roof/ house other than their own since purim. Everything delivered. Or curbside pickup.
I know plenty of people who don't want to leave their house now and it's very understandable
This is precisely why NY/NJ hospitalizations aren't surging. The vulnerable population that was capable of avoiding it in March/April is still avoiding it.

Very few people isolated in early March when it was already rampant
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 19, 2020, 08:12:04 AM »
1. Well the thing is that they had shabbos guests the shabbos after purim, who came down with covid like 2 days later. That was before they (the hosts) got so paranoid. So it's possible that they caught it and were asymptomatic (I don't know how likely, but possible.)
2. I don't know but it might help. But whenever someone mentions to them that maybe they should get tested, the answer is that they don't want to leave the house
3. They are elderly and may have risk factors, I don't know

Is staying home causing them to forgo needed medical care?  To eat poorly? Risk losing a job? Or causing them distress?

If not, their choice to stay home may be rational, not necessarily paranoid, since being elderly is a risk factor.  Our perception of the passage of time also seems to change as we age, and the prospect of waiting a few more weeks - or months - for greater clarity in the situation may not faze them as much as it would a younger person.

If they want the test, check your county health department.  We have something called "homebound testing", for elderly, disabled, those without transportation, but I think at this point that might be limited to testing for the virus, not the antibody.

Offline Mikes@Micro

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 19, 2020, 08:37:08 AM »

Sure. Google blood test at home.
This is precisely why NY/NJ hospitalizations aren't surging. The vulnerable population that was capable of avoiding it in March/April is still avoiding it.

They are not elderly.... young family with a 3 month old
H/t PinchosL

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 19, 2020, 08:44:04 AM »
is there anything to justify keeping an entire family locked up with no end in sight? I am not advocating to bring the baby to a supermarket  but How careful do you need to be with the rest of family? Minimal shopping and social interactions wearing a mask arent acceptable precautions?
Obviously every family decides this for themselves.  I don't see a problem with a family deciding to stay home a bit longer, as long as they're not jeopardizing their health, can get healthy food, the kids are kept busy, they aren't getting depressed, etc. 

It would be a problem, of course, if one parent is extremely careful while the other parent thinks that's nonsense, but then it devolves into a "simple" problem of shalom bayis.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 19, 2020, 08:50:44 AM »
Is staying home causing them to forgo needed medical care?  To eat poorly? Risk losing a job? Or causing them distress?
No, if anything the thought of going out causes them distress! They are quite happy staying home.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 19, 2020, 09:02:04 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 19, 2020, 09:02:15 AM »
No, if anything the thought of going out causes them distress! They are quite happy staying home.
That's what I suspected...  ;)
So why not just let them be?

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile