Author Topic: The science of COVID-19  (Read 49260 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: The science of COVID-19
« Reply #300 on: June 19, 2020, 09:07:12 AM »

They are not elderly.... young family with a 3 month old
They may have risk factors you're unaware of, such as diabetes.

Or they, like me, are not interested in lung scarring that occurs in 50% of asymptomatic Covid carriers, and potential other unknown effects
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline etech0

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #301 on: June 19, 2020, 10:13:42 AM »
That's what I suspected...  ;)
So why not just let them be?
It's a very good question... I guess people think if they turn out to have antibodies they will feel calmer and if they are confident enough to leave the house they will enjoy it?

Who knows!
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #302 on: June 19, 2020, 10:21:54 AM »
I watched my baby daughter nearly die in my arms twice in the last 2 weeks. I wouldn’t wish the feelings I had during those moments on my worst enemy. Ever. Wait the two weeks, it’s well worth it.

BH she is ok now.

BH.

Were your daughter's episodes COVID-19?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #303 on: June 19, 2020, 10:44:35 AM »
BH.

Were your daughter's episodes COVID-19?
Allergic anaphylactic reactions. I have a theory but she’s never been confirmed COVID+ so I would need to get her checked for antibodies and then discuss it with a doctor.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 22, 2020, 08:49:56 AM »
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #306 on: June 22, 2020, 11:39:34 AM »
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1274900169881014272

Click to read thread about some interesting observations regarding outdoor temperature and COVID-19 spread.
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 22, 2020, 11:47:59 AM »

Click to read thread about some interesting observations regarding outdoor temperature and COVID-19 spread.

So warm weather decreases COVID infections, but hot weather increases COVID infection?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #308 on: June 22, 2020, 11:52:49 AM »

This makes a lot of sense, given everything we've learned about how this spreads indoors vs outdoors. It also dovetails well with historical data of second waves during fall and winter being more deadly. This should add to the growing list of reasons why masks should be mandatory in any indoor place with public access.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 23, 2020, 02:17:30 AM »
I don't know... I'm pretty sceptical, too, but then I look at the numbers in super highly populated areas like FL, TX, AZ, and CA and it makes me wonder if it will buy time over the summer to get some good treatment protocols on the market.

On the other hand, I hope the reprieve (if it comes) doesn't give a false sense of security leading to a devastating second wave.

Haven’t opened this thread in months, and this is the first post I see. Surprising because all 4 states you mentioned ended up being at the forefront of the summer wave.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 23, 2020, 02:49:28 AM »

The entire premise for hot climates killing COVID was based on complete nonsense. Just a little common sense will tell you that the only difference between hot and cold climates in regards to the spreading of a virus, is that you’re less likely to get COVID from touching a park bench in Miami than you are in Alaska. Other than that - speaking to someone face to face - climate doesn’t matter, indoors or outdoors. The heat isn’t killing the virus in 10 milliseconds. Basically 99% of transmissions would happen regardless of climate. Climate only matters in regards to how close people get to each other.
Visibly Jewish

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 23, 2020, 05:56:29 AM »
The entire premise for hot climates killing COVID was based on complete nonsense. Just a little common sense will tell you that the only difference between hot and cold climates in regards to the spreading of a virus, is that you’re less likely to get COVID from touching a park bench in Miami than you are in Alaska. Other than that - speaking to someone face to face - climate doesn’t matter, indoors or outdoors. The heat isn’t killing the virus in 10 milliseconds. Basically 99% of transmissions would happen regardless of climate. Climate only matters in regards to how close people get to each other.
I disagree. People have more nasal fluids & sneeze more in the winter so there are more droplets around.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 23, 2020, 07:54:00 AM »
I disagree. People have more nasal fluids & sneeze more in the winter so there are more droplets around.

That’s true, what I should clarify - is that the summer heat itself isn’t “killing” the virus as is always mentioned. It’s certain characteristics of summer that help reduce transmission, nothing to do with heat killing the virus.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #313 on: June 23, 2020, 01:21:33 PM »
Haven’t opened this thread in months, and this is the first post I see. Surprising because all 4 states you mentioned ended up being at the forefront of the summer wave.

Which also makes a lot of sense in the current context. Those states all have great weather during later winter and early spring, so people spend more time outdoors. When the intense heat came, accompanied in FL and TX by a solid amount of rain, people go indoors where the risk of spread is higher. Add to that the false sense of security I was talking about because the numbers were initially so low, and you have a perfect storm for a second wave. In this case, I think it's just a spike in the first wave, but if you extrapolate the conditions onto the NY metro area, as well as MI, IL, PA, and other places which were hit harder in March and April, it makes you wonder what those places will look like when the weather cools, the rains come, and people are forced back indoors come fall and winter.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #314 on: June 23, 2020, 09:02:06 PM »
Headline is completely misleading but this thread is fascinating. Reinforces the superspreader concept.

https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1275422432183095296

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 24, 2020, 04:24:57 PM »
Is anyone here following TWiV (This Week in Virology https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/) podcast? I saw it mentioned on Twitter as having some good info, but there are several chapters and they are all quite long, so I was wondering if anyone has good info synthesized from the podcast.
-- Dan

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #316 on: June 24, 2020, 04:57:09 PM »
Is anyone here following TWiV (This Week in Virology https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/) podcast? I saw it mentioned on Twitter as having some good info, but there are several chapters and they are all quite long, so I was wondering if anyone has good info synthesized from the podcast.
@biobook

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 24, 2020, 05:06:04 PM »
@biobook

LOL! Was gonna page him/her, but I felt bad. Kinda like asking the smart kid for his/her notes too many times.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 05:29:54 PM by Lurker »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #318 on: June 24, 2020, 05:10:10 PM »
LOL! Was gonna page him, but I felt bad. Kinda like asking the smart kid for his notes too many times.
Who said @biobook is a him?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 24, 2020, 05:29:27 PM »
Who said @biobook is a him?

Figure of speech, corrected. @biobook actually reminds me of an educator from my community who happens to be a woman.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 05:38:08 PM by Lurker »