Author Topic: BA Illegally Collecting USA International Facilities Tax On Award Tickets?  (Read 18295 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Posted this on FT after a commenter on DD mentioned possible fuel surcharges to latin america...reposting here as it probably affects many here as well...

I was comparing AA taxes to BA taxes to see if BA tries collecting fuel surcharges for any flights that are wholly within the western hemisphere (appears that they don't) and noticed that BA charges exactly $32.60 more than AA on award tickets between the US and Latin America.

This is true for every flight I checked, including:
-SJU ($5 on AA, $37.60 on BA)
-CUN ($63.30 on AA, $95.90 on BA)
-EZE ($61.50 on AA, $94.10 on BA)
-MEX ($64.61 on AA, $97.21 on BA)

Breaking it down it seems that BA is charging a USA International Facilities Tax on these awards as follows:

Transportation Tax(Departure) - USA USD16.30
Transportation Tax(Arrival) - USA USD16.30

No other US airline collects those fees on award tickets. In fact] the IRS says,
"As a general rule, all amounts paid for the air transportation of persons are subject to tax. Where no amount is paid for air transportation, such as when the transportation is obtained by the redemption of frequent flyer miles, the transaction is not subject to the percentage tax, the domestic segment tax, or international facilities tax. Cite: Rev. Rul. 84-12, 1984-1 C.B. 211."
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
Maybe contact their PR department and say you think an anonymous tip to the IRS is in order
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
What's new, yet another corporation collecting 'tax' to line their pockets.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
I sent the BA rep on FT a PM.
We'll see.

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Wow this could be major. If they don't follow up I wonder if any news agencies would like this story.

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
could be a class action suit no?

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
I sent the BA rep on FT a PM.
We'll see.

If she works at the same speed and has the same intellectual capacity as the DL rep on FT, I can promise you that Lebron will receive a standing O at the Q sooner than you receive a competent response....

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
If she works at the same speed and has the same intellectual capacity as the DL rep on FT, I can promise you that Lebron will receive a standing O at the Q sooner than you receive a competent response....
When severe legal consequences are looming, completely incompetent reps become exceptionally competent, and contact an intelligent life form to handle the matter ASAP
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
could be a class action suit no?

+1, the first time I have seen this phrase uttered on here where it actually makes sense.

I'm not familiar with the legality of it (don't all airlines charge some fee on award tickets?), but the damages in this suit would be enormous.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline myb821

• View Profile
did they ever answer u

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline myb821

• View Profile
someone who has flown one of these flights should seriously contact a class action lawyer. It could be some serious bucks

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
someone who has flown one of these flights should seriously contact a class action lawyer. It could be some serious bucks

I'm booking a ticket now. Gonna fly, gonna research, gonna determine veracity, gonna sue.

...maybe.

(Although, technically, I could use any DDF'er who has already flown as the class representative. Any takers? :P)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline myb821

• View Profile
I'm booking a ticket now. Gonna fly, gonna research, gonna determine veracity, gonna sue.

...maybe.

(Although, technically, I could use any DDF'er who has already flown as the class representative. Any takers? :P)
thats what i was getting at when i said

Offline AJK

• View Profile
thats what i was getting at when i said

...and I was getting at the fact that I want to be the one suing.

Offline myb821

• View Profile
i understand u r a lawyer correct? Have u ever done this kind of law before?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
Negative.  But, at least superficially, it would seem this might be a good time to foray into class actions.

Offline Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
I booked in Dec 09 for a flight in Jan '10 for 2 pax and I just found the confirmation email and see the total charges for the 2 tix JFK-CUN were $118.88.
I dont know what the breakdown of the fees are.

Offline myb821

• View Profile
Negative.  But, at least superficially, it would seem this might be a good time to foray into class actions.
this could be a humongous class action just saying i dont know if it is the best idea but thats not my problem
I booked in Dec 09 for a flight in Jan '10 for 2 pax and I just found the confirmation email and see the total charges for the 2 tix JFK-CUN were $118.88.
I dont know what the breakdown of the fees are.
is there no way to find the fair breakdown

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You can see the breakdown of all taxes when booking an award ticket at BA.com, which is always $32.60 more than AA.com for tickets going out of US/Canada