Author Topic: When do you think International travel will resume?  (Read 19213 times)

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
When do you think International travel will resume?
« on: April 20, 2020, 12:19:07 PM »
We are a bit in an interesting situation, we are travel enthusiasts (and I'm a Aviation geek as well) .
BH we have been fortunate enough to travel and go on vacation in the past .
But things lined up for us Pre Covid to take a sabbatical this year, and travel around the world , we put things into motion , and essentially are just waiting for the skies to open....so when do we expect that to happen?

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
Re: When do you think International travel will resume?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 12:38:04 PM »
About midnight on May 22

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 12:42:37 PM »
The eleventy-third of Junetober.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 01:27:19 PM »
About midnight on May 22
Wow, so u actually stayed up for the Hagada this year?

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 01:35:01 PM »
For all the sarcastic people out there, seems like Quarantine hit you hard.
I've invested alot in arranging things to be able to take off and backpack around the world with my family.
To clarify, we are backpacking for a few months with a fluid itinerary , which basically means country hopping at our convenience,  so if one had to bet on it , which countries/continent would make the most sense to start with and when?
Im venturing to say July.

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 01:48:35 PM »
I've invested alot in arranging things to be able to take off and backpack around the world with my family.
To clarify, we are backpacking for a few months with a fluid itinerary , which basically means country hopping at our convenience,  so if one had to bet on it , which countries/continent would make the most sense to start with and when?
I would think the countries that got hit less would open first. India? Africa? South America? China ;D?

When did/will the sabbatical start?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 01:53:32 PM »

I don't want you to think I'm attacking you, because I really don't think you meant this post to be insensitive in any way. I understand that you live in your reality, and I commend you for being in a position to do this with your family.

That being said, take a look at the other threads on this board. People are sitting shiva. People are on ventilators. The tehillim list is huuuge. People's businesses are gutted, no income, struggling to pay their bills and feed their families. Even if yours was a legitimate question, this is not the place nor the time.

And this is the reason for the sarcasm: it's not even a remotely legitimate question. There is no data anywhere that anyone in the world can point to that will give you a hint at a chance of an educated guess. You have a better chance of an answer if you ate tea leaves and read them when they came out the other end.

Again, I have no problem with where you are in life. I even aspire to be there one day myself. However, the entire premise if this question is absurd.

Offline iAm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 01:59:51 PM »

You will not be able to backpack 'for a few months straight' until Fall of 2021, at the earliest. This is especially true if you plan on going through developed countries with significant infrastructure; as its unlikely that 'touristy' things will stay open for a few consecutive months at a time until then.

If youre absolutely set on going, your best bet would be to find yourself into a more third world backpacking itinerary in South America, Africa, or Central Asia (even southeast asia wouldnt work). You'd have to plan on staying within that region for the entire 'few months' and you would have to be willing to get stuck in case someone on your trip needed emergent care.

Thats my .02
iThink. Ergo. iAm

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 02:21:46 PM »
China ;D?

China should be okay now! They haven't had a new case in a while (since they threw out western journos)!
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 02:55:02 PM »
I don't want you to think I'm attacking you, because I really don't think you meant this post to be insensitive in any way. I understand that you live in your reality, and I commend you for being in a position to do this with your family.

That being said, take a look at the other threads on this board. People are sitting shiva. People are on ventilators. The tehillim list is huuuge. People's businesses are gutted, no income, struggling to pay their bills and feed their families. Even if yours was a legitimate question, this is not the place nor the time.

And this is the reason for the sarcasm: it's not even a remotely legitimate question. There is no data anywhere that anyone in the world can point to that will give you a hint at a chance of an educated guess. You have a better chance of an answer if you ate tea leaves and read them when they came out the other end.

Again, I have no problem with where you are in life. I even aspire to be there one day myself. However, the entire premise if this question is absurd.

i wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment , i apologize if anyone took offense, and definitely see how maybe i should have posted this on a different board .   

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 03:02:50 PM »
i wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment , i apologize if anyone took offense, and definitely see how maybe i should have posted this on a different board .   

That being said , i think this is still a very relevant topic and an interest to people,( and im seemingly a lot more optimistic then some, that the world is going to return to some type of normalcy, earlier rather then later) , and if the moderators feel its inappropriate for this board,  i would gladly have them move it.   
P.s. Never judge a book by its cover

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 03:38:30 PM »
That being said , i think this is still a very relevant topic and an interest to people,( and im seemingly a lot more optimistic then some, that the world is going to return to some type of normalcy, earlier rather then later) , and if the moderators feel its inappropriate for this board,  i would gladly have them move it.   
P.s. Never judge a book by its cover

I don't feel anything you posted warrants removal or even moderation. As far as the other things which have been discussed here, this is a pretty benign topic, and as you pointed out, a fairly relevant one and of interest to people who frequent DDF. It's also got a relatively low chance of turning into a debate on the merits of Suicide By Minyan, so have at it. But you have to understand that given the context of our times, and the lack of any reliable data that can answer your question, sarcasm is a legitimate response to a question many will find absurd.

Offline shmooz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 04:02:37 PM »
why not book it in a way that is refundable, starting a few months from now? No one call tell you when it will end, just like no one could predict it. But your optimism may pay off.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 04:38:29 PM »
why not book it in a way that is refundable, starting a few months from now? No one call tell you when it will end, just like no one could predict it. But your optimism may pay off.

For accurate predictions i go to The Weather Channel,lol.
Being that there are many well traveled people on DDF, i am curious what others would do if they were in my position . 

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2020, 04:41:07 PM »
China should be okay now! They haven't had a new case in a while (since they threw out western journos)!

Book a one way trip...
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline RewardsAddict

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2020, 06:13:56 PM »
I had planned a Europe trip for August, but cancelled my tickets as soon as the airlines were willing to refund them. I doubt we will be able to travel then, as even if the pandemic has calmed down many countries might be unwilling to risk another wave by bringing a foreigner in before there is a vaccine.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2020, 06:38:29 PM »
I had planned a Europe trip for August, but cancelled my tickets as soon as the airlines were willing to refund them. I doubt we will be able to travel then, as even if the pandemic has calmed down many countries might be unwilling to risk another wave by bringing a foreigner in before there is a vaccine.

Many countries wont survive without tourism .

Offline RewardsAddict

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2020, 06:40:44 PM »

Many countries wont survive without tourism .
That is true. I wonder what will be...

Offline simple26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2020, 09:35:32 PM »
I don't feel anything you posted warrants removal or even moderation. As far as the other things which have been discussed here, this is a pretty benign topic, and as you pointed out, a fairly relevant one and of interest to people who frequent DDF. It's also got a relatively low chance of turning into a debate on the merits of Suicide By Minyan, so have at it. But you have to understand that given the context of our times, and the lack of any reliable data that can answer your question, sarcasm is a legitimate response to a question many will find absurd.
LOL