Author Topic: Denmark and Sweden: An apples to apples comparison  (Read 72116 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Denmark and Sweden: An apples to apples comparison
« Reply #240 on: May 04, 2020, 01:31:08 PM »
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.24.20078717v1.full.pdf
I’m not even going to bother reading it, the first paragraph was enough. Really? We’re comparing Italy, Spain, France, and the UK? How about one of the countries that, you know, actually LOCKED DOWN BEFORE THE SPREAD?!
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #241 on: May 04, 2020, 01:38:33 PM »
I’m not even going to bother reading it, the first paragraph was enough. Really? We’re comparing Italy, Spain, France, and the UK? How about one of the countries that, you know, actually LOCKED DOWN BEFORE THE SPREAD?!
We didn't lock down before the spread, correct? So wouldn't it pertain to us now?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 04, 2020, 01:41:51 PM »
Our Governments orginal failure to contain a pandemic shall not force us all to "stay at home".
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #243 on: May 04, 2020, 02:02:07 PM »
We didn't lock down before the spread, correct? So wouldn't it pertain to us now?
Our Governments orginal failure to contain a pandemic shall not force us all to "stay at home".
Why would you blame it on the government? You are responsible for your own actions. You and I should have stayed home to save lives.

The US messed it up. If we lift restrictions now, there is plenty of reason to assume the virus will come back with a vengeance. That said, if there is a study that is looking to find the difference between a country locking down or not they should not pick specifically the UK, France, Italy and Spain, unless they’re trying to hammer preexisting agenda home.

Are you saying social distancing doesn’t have an effect on the virus? That’s patently ridiculous. Are you saying there was institutional failure at the top to proactively prevent spread? True. Are you trying to study the effects of locking down vs. not locking down? Then use an unbiased sample of different countries with varying timelines and measures to find a pattern in what truly stops the spread, and how. Don’t try to find the perfect spot in the worst hit counties and nit pick that you found some metrics that fit with your agenda.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #244 on: May 04, 2020, 02:03:43 PM »
Why would you blame it on the government? You are responsible for your own actions. You and I should have stayed home to save lives.

The Govt should have contained the pandemic. THe Govt shouldn't force us to do anything which will contain the pandemic.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #245 on: May 04, 2020, 02:11:40 PM »
The Govt should have contained the pandemic. THe Govt shouldn't force us to do anything which will contain the pandemic.
That’s so very logical

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 04, 2020, 02:30:37 PM »
That’s so very logical
Exactly my point.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #247 on: May 04, 2020, 03:00:45 PM »
Exactly my point.
I’m not sure if you’re agreeing or disagreeing with me

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #248 on: May 04, 2020, 03:10:12 PM »

His post was illustrating the hypocrisy of that stance.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 04, 2020, 03:15:33 PM »
You haven't seen enough from me to know that
His post was illustrating the hypocrisy of that stance.
?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 04, 2020, 03:17:45 PM »
"I am not sure if you were sarcastic and I am not sure if I was sarcastic or if you were sarcastic in thinking that I was sarcastic that you were sarcastic......"

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #251 on: May 04, 2020, 03:35:00 PM »
"I am not sure if you were sarcastic and I am not sure if I was sarcastic or if you were sarcastic in thinking that I was sarcastic that you were sarcastic......"
Exactly

ETA: I just reread the original post from @KSMH and then I actually laughed

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #252 on: May 07, 2020, 11:03:59 AM »
Update:

Denmark: DPM 87
Sweden: DPM 301

99 people have reportedly died of COVID in Sweden today, 87 yesterday.
0 people have reportedly died of COVID in Denmark today, 3 yesterday.

Denmark reopened schools weeks ago, and is well on its way back to life as normal. Obviously they are still strictly restricting and regulating things but they are probably around on par with where Sweden is now as far as social distancing and the economy. How different will the economic impact be on Denmark vs. Sweden?

Online Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #254 on: May 08, 2020, 02:37:18 PM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/sweden-has-avoided-a-coronavirus-lockdown-its-economy-is-hurting-anyway-11588870062
Denmark is just about in the same place as Sweden now as far as the economy and schools, and has been for nearly a month. The major difference? 135 died of COVID in Sweden today, while 8 died in Denmark. For both countries, that’s slightly above average for the past week or two.

Unless it’s pure herd immunity they’re chasing, which they vehemently deny (and we can’t judge just yet), it looks to have been a horrible decision thus far

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 08, 2020, 02:54:25 PM »
Denmark is just about in the same place as Sweden now as far as the economy and schools, and has been for nearly a month. The major difference? 135 died of COVID in Sweden today, while 8 died in Denmark. For both countries, that’s slightly above average for the past week or two.

Unless it’s pure herd immunity they’re chasing, which they vehemently deny (and we can’t judge just yet), it looks to have been a horrible decision thus far

Fascinating. Thanks for keeping ontop of this and sharing.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 08, 2020, 03:51:46 PM »
Sweden’s chief epidemiologist is calling it a clear success and says that other than preparation at long-term care facilities he would do the exact same thing all over again.

"We're always compared with other countries but you have to remember there's a lot of other countries in Europe that had huge lockdowns and much worse situations than Sweden," Tegnell said, pointing to Belgium which has a similar population to Sweden and has seen 50,781 cases and 8,339 deaths so far, despite a strict lockdown.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/05/07/sweden-coronavirus-chief-scientist-admits-lessons-have-been-learned.html
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 03:55:15 PM by Yard sale »

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #257 on: May 11, 2020, 11:25:33 AM »
Sweden’s chief epidemiologist is calling it a clear success and says that other than preparation at long-term care facilities he would do the exact same thing all over again.

"We're always compared with other countries but you have to remember there's a lot of other countries in Europe that had huge lockdowns and much worse situations than Sweden," Tegnell said, pointing to Belgium which has a similar population to Sweden and has seen 50,781 cases and 8,339 deaths so far, despite a strict lockdown.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/05/07/sweden-coronavirus-chief-scientist-admits-lessons-have-been-learned.html
If he’s randomly pointing to Belgium then I’ll point to Israel as a counterpoint. Are we comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges now?

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #258 on: May 11, 2020, 11:33:20 AM »
If he’s randomly pointing to Belgium then I’ll point to Israel as a counterpoint. Are we comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges now?
The question remains. Why can he point to other countries that had strict lockdowns but did far worse than his country?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #259 on: May 11, 2020, 12:07:41 PM »
The question remains. Why can he point to other countries that had strict lockdowns but did far worse than his country?
Isn’t an obvious differentiator that they locked down AFTER a large amount of the spread had occurred? Different countries were impacted in different ways depending on different things that we don’t yet know the answer to, and may never. Weather, age of population, density, mobility, economics and other factors may play significant roles.

This thread was about comparing two very similar countries who are geographic neighbors and hit at the same time with very different strategies. Clearly, Denmark’s strategy has proven superior as far as preventing larger amounts of COVID related deaths, at least in the short term. Time will tell how they are each impacted economically and in the future should another wave hit.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:12:18 PM by S209 »