Author Topic: Denmark and Sweden: An apples to apples comparison  (Read 72073 times)

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Denmark and Sweden: An apples to apples comparison
« Reply #480 on: October 29, 2020, 11:43:25 PM »
I'm just gonna interrupt here to point out that this tweet is showing only the last 6 weeks of data. Not particularly instructive.
That's irrelevant, as long as @PlatinumGuy can misconstrue it that if not for the grace of government we'd all be dead.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #481 on: October 29, 2020, 11:45:10 PM »
Sweden didn't need to impose restrictions when they're citizens stayed at home without the restrictions...

Anyhow, Sweden cases are near an all time peak again, but we're still at the point in the curve we're people are saying 'but there are no deaths'. Give it a few more weeks and they'll be singing a different tune. The Asian countries are the only ones that handled this right.
Let's weld those doors shut
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 29, 2020, 11:49:11 PM »
It dramatically lowered contacts which inevtiably lowers infection. It worked just like every other lockdown around the world worked.
So we have a very comparable location without a lockdown with a better result, but because you "know" lockdowns work, we now have proof that the lockdown worked.

Just as an example about how terribly the lockdown is working, we had an afruf in our shul in Lakewood, for a family that lives in the red zone in brooklyn. I have no problem with it and am happy our shul was able to help them avoid the lockdown, but if you think it was effective, I have news for you.

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 29, 2020, 11:49:30 PM »
But the fact of the matter is the Covid wave appears to have subsided in BP & Monsey. Was there a better way to do it? Maybe. But it worked.

The fact that it subsided had zero to do with restrictions, it just took its natural course.

I'm not going to get into an argument about what was or wasn't open and if there are or aren't weddings etc. in Brooklyn and Monsey but suffice it to say, the current "lockdown" was/is not even close to the lockdown from March to May/June. והמבין יבין.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 11:54:58 PM by iluv2travel »

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 29, 2020, 11:50:16 PM »
That's irrelevant, as long as @PlatinumGuy can misconstrue it that if not for the grace of government we'd all be dead.
Or we should learn from the Swedish and conduct ourselves responsibly even without government oversight.

Let's weld those doors shut
China was brutal but plenty of democratic countries reached similar success without such extreme measures.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 29, 2020, 11:51:12 PM »
So we have a very comparable location without a lockdown with a better result
How does something else working better indicate lockdown does not work?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 29, 2020, 11:53:46 PM »
How does something else working better indicate lockdown does not work?
I'm far from convinced either method "worked", the only proof you have is based on your conjecture as seen here
It dramatically lowered contacts which inevtiably lowers infection. It worked just like every other lockdown around the world worked.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 29, 2020, 11:54:48 PM »
I'm amazed at the pretzel @PlatinumGuy twists himself into to "prove" that lockdowns work.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #488 on: October 29, 2020, 11:56:05 PM »
I'm far from convinced either method "worked", the only proof you have is based on your conjecture as seen here

You're not convinced of a lot of things. Trump takes Covid more seriously than you do.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 29, 2020, 11:57:31 PM »
I'm amazed at the pretzel @PlatinumGuy twists himself into to "prove" that lockdowns work.
Not sure what you’re talking about. There is not a single lockdown anywhere in the world that didn’t help lower the case count.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 29, 2020, 11:59:35 PM »
Not sure what you’re talking about. There is not a single lockdown anywhere in the world that didn’t help lower the case count.
correlation =/= causation.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 29, 2020, 11:59:56 PM »
So we have a very comparable location without a lockdown with a better result, but because you "know" lockdowns work, we now have proof that the lockdown worked.

Just as an example about how terribly the lockdown is working, we had an afruf in our shul in Lakewood, for a family that lives in the red zone in brooklyn. I have no problem with it and am happy our shul was able to help them avoid the lockdown, but if you think it was effective, I have news for you.

Had an aufruf in one of the largest shuls in Brooklyn. Was stuffed to the hilt. Obviously zero SD possible. Maybe 1 single person wore a mask. I know of many other shuls that had the same (its wedding season after all and no, they were not canceled in light of the "lockdown")

And still the numbers came down.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 30, 2020, 12:00:40 AM »
You're not convinced of a lot of things. Trump takes Covid more seriously than you do.
So find me proof that it worked, not correlation and conjecture.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 30, 2020, 12:02:05 AM »
correlation =/= causation.
Right. So nearly every country in the world instituted a lockdown, case count always went down, we understand exactly the mechanism in which it worked, yet there is no evidence and I’m the one twisted into a pretzel.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #494 on: October 30, 2020, 12:03:21 AM »

We've been through this before. It is impossible to prove that restrictions work. If they work, infections don't happen. I can't prove why something didn't happen. The only thing we have is strong correlation and conjecture.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 30, 2020, 12:03:36 AM »

Saying that lockdowns don't necessarily work doesn't mean you don't take COVID seriously. I still wear masks daily, hand wash, and SD even though I don't agree with the lockdown.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 30, 2020, 12:03:49 AM »
Btw food doesn’t make people fat. The ‘logic’ of the body storing energy as fat is a fake news media scam attempting to take away your freedom to eat, and the fact that people who eat more are fatter is just correlation & conjecture

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 30, 2020, 12:04:51 AM »
Right. So nearly every country in the world instituted a lockdown, case count always went down, we understand exactly the mechanism in which it worked, yet there is no evidence and I’m the one twisted into a pretzel.
Case count goes down without a lockdown!!! But that doesnt matter to you, because your rather government micromanagement in the name of safety.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 30, 2020, 12:06:58 AM »

Sweden didn't lock down and their cases had come down. Now it went back up. This seems to be the nature of this virus that it comes in spurts but obviously this is just my theory and I can't prove it.

There are US States that previously had spikes in the summer and didn't implement draconian lockdowns (just less severe restrictions) and the numbers came down anyway. Now they're going back up. Even in NYS overall its ticking up.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 30, 2020, 12:07:13 AM »
Saying that lockdowns don't necessarily work doesn't mean you don't take COVID seriously. I still wear masks daily, hand wash, and SD even though I don't agree with the lockdown.

That's why I didn't write that to you  :)  I've been arguing with @avromie7 for many, many months now. Trump really does take Covid more seriously than he does.

As for lockdowns, they are not the answer. However, they do have a place and they do serve a purpose. Within that place and purpose, they are effective. What you saw in NY just now was not an effective use of a lockdown.