Author Topic: Denmark and Sweden: An apples to apples comparison  (Read 71695 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Denmark and Sweden: An apples to apples comparison
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2020, 03:17:29 PM »
Well...this is interesting

Exactly my point.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2020, 03:19:01 PM »
We bounced back from the great depression but how many starved to death? I am not equating the two but showing economics does cause death.
The economics of this will directly cause lives to be lost. We need experts to give us their predictions on this also.
Does one life lost equal 10 lives ruined, 100 or 1000? Not a question I really want to think about or could even answer.

Does one life lost only equal one life lost? I know you look at the charity thread, and I know you cry when you read the stories. How many more orphans can we handle? How many teachers can we lose? How many community leaders, pillars of charity, wisdom, advocacy, and business can we lose? How do we quantify the lives ruined? It's not a question you want to think about or answer, and neither do I. I definitely don't want some math geek to come up with an equation in his bunker.

This is what I believe. A life ruined can be repaired, but a life lost is lost forever. Judaism teaches that life is paramount, superseding everything in importance short of G-d and His Glory Himself. That is how I would like to approach this crises. Prioritize life today, and work towards solving the issues we know we'll face in the future.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2020, 03:20:29 PM »
Well...this is interesting
Very interesting. I didn’t look into that and it seems counterintuitive at first glance but the point remains that pointing at vague “mental health deaths” and “suicide rates” isn’t equivalent to looking at actual deaths before our eyes. Real, tangible people who are no more. And very statistically significant.

Besides, there would be a terrible unquantifiable economic and mental toll should we allow this pandemic to murder the millions of people it would unchecked anyway. May as well keep them alive and see what the consequences are then.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2020, 03:24:52 PM »
Very interesting. I didn’t look into that and it seems counterintuitive at first glance but the point remains that pointing at vague “mental health deaths” and “suicide rates” isn’t equivalent to looking at actual deaths before our eyes. Real, tangible people who are no more. And very statistically significant.

Besides, there would be a terrible unquantifiable economic and mental toll should we allow this pandemic to murder the millions of people it would unchecked anyway. May as well keep them alive and see what the consequences are then.

Even those did not go up by tremendous amounts.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2020, 03:25:20 PM »
Correct, there are terrible economic consequences to both millions getting sick and dying, and to millions being locked down.

The main difference is real, tangible deaths in front of us. (Relatively) very few people will actually starve to death or commit suicide as a direct result of the economic downturn. Those who think otherwise should look into total deaths by suicide, and increases corresponding to economic disasters.

Starve to death no. But suicide yes. Studies show that suicide rates shot up during the Great Depression resulting 23,000 deaths in the US. Studies show similar though less pronounced trends during smaller downturn. Other causes of death did not jump dramatically during the Great Depression.

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2020, 03:25:36 PM »
I was all for a national shutdown. The issue now is this drip drip drip.
The problem also is we see no real deaths from a national shutdown so far. What if the experts started predicting how many lives will be lost for each month of a shutdown. How about how many lives will be ruined and so on? Would that change some minds? 

Before or after is not really important, the point is every day the country is shutdown has serious repercussions and those who are saying keep it a little longer "just to be safe" have a terrible attitude.

Correct, there are terrible economic consequences to both millions getting sick and dying, and to millions being locked down.

The main difference is real, tangible deaths in front of us. (Relatively) very few people will actually starve to death or commit suicide as a direct result of the economic downturn. Those who think otherwise should look into total deaths by suicide, and increases corresponding to economic disasters.
What about people who end up with serious long term mental health issues due to being locked inside for 6 months? That's a very real situation and it should not be taken lightly.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2020, 03:25:54 PM »
Does one life lost only equal one life lost? I know you look at the charity thread, and I know you cry when you read the stories. How many more orphans can we handle? How many teachers can we lose? How many community leaders, pillars of charity, wisdom, advocacy, and business can we lose? How do we quantify the lives ruined? It's not a question you want to think about or answer, and neither do I. I definitely don't want some math geek to come up with an equation in his bunker.

This is what I believe. A life ruined can be repaired, but a life lost is lost forever. Judaism teaches that life is paramount, superseding everything in importance short of G-d and His Glory Himself. That is how I would like to approach this crises. Prioritize life today, and work towards solving the issues we know we'll face in the future.

Exactly. I know of a few hundred children with lives "ruined" (I don't like that term) by them have lost parents.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2020, 03:28:25 PM »
Exactly. I know of a few hundred children with lives "ruined" (I don't like that term) by them have lost parents.
I just wonder how many divorces we might see come out of this.
High anxiety and spouses being around each other all day isn't a great combo.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2020, 03:31:22 PM »

Before or after is not really important, the point is every day the country is shutdown has serious repercussions and those who are saying keep it a little longer "just to be safe" have a terrible attitude.
 What about people who end up with serious long term mental health issues due to being locked inside for 6 months? That's a very real situation and it should not be taken lightly.

I was answering exactly your point. Skeptics of lockdowns tend to point out “mental health” issues as a reason to sacrifice people's lives. First, you would need to prove a quantifiable significant number that we can look at. Second, as @Lurker said and the point I was trying to make, you can’t discount the “mental health” issues of losing a parent, teacher, friend, relative.. they are probably significantly worse.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2020, 03:32:02 PM »
I just wonder how many divorces we might see come out of this.
Just overheard someone saying, after 1 week home with my wife, I'm ready to die...
WOW I love being home with my wife.
מצא או מוצא

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2020, 03:34:09 PM »
@Lurker , the goal of herd immunity is to protect those who are not immune.

With vaccines, the healthy accept the (tiny) risks associated with the vaccine in order to protect those for whom the risk is higher, and can therefore not be immunized (such as newborns or the immunocompromised).

Those advocating for herd immunity are saying that we should do the same thing (with those who are high risk isolating until enough of those that are lower risk have immunity so that the virus can't spread).

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2020, 03:35:02 PM »
I guess I am the exception to the rule.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2020, 03:37:57 PM »
I guess I am the exception to the rule.
Big difference what age kids you have which impacts the level of stress in the house
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2020, 03:39:57 PM »
I was answering exactly your point. Skeptics of lockdowns tend to point out “mental health” issues as a reason to sacrifice people's lives. First, you would need to prove a quantifiable significant number that we can look at. Second, as @Lurker said and the point I was trying to make, you can’t discount the “mental health” issues of losing a parent, teacher, friend, relative.. they are probably significantly worse.
1) The fact that you can't quantify them doesn't change the fact that they exist
2) Who said you have a right to tell people to do something that will adversely affect their mental health to save someone else's mental health or even someone else's life?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2020, 03:40:16 PM »
@Lurker , the goal of herd immunity is to protect those who are not immune.

With vaccines, the healthy accept the (tiny) risks associated with the vaccine in order to protect those for whom the risk is higher, and can therefore not be immunized (such as newborns or the immunocompromised).

Those advocating for herd immunity are saying that we should do the same thing (with those who are high risk isolating until enough of those that are lower risk have immunity so that the virus can't spread).

And my point is we don't know who is immune or what the risks are for herd immunity to be considered at this point. Vaccines have a somewhat quantifiable risk factor, and we have tests to help determine who is high risk. Those don't exist here. How many Charidy/Chesed campaigns start with, "S/he was in perfect health, and now 10 yesomim need our help?"
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2020, 03:50:59 PM »
1) The fact that you can't quantify them doesn't change the fact that they exist
2) Who said you have a right to tell people to do something that will adversely affect their mental health to save someone else's mental health or even someone else's life?
1) They may or may not. Very realistically may not. So what’s the basis for the argument? Because it’s more enjoyable?

2) We can and will tell people to do something that may have negative effects on their mental health to measurably save someone else’s life. We do it all the time. Like, always.

Every single law enacted ever can be argued that it “adversely affects someone’s mental health”. My point is, you don’t even know that there *will* be more mental health issues from lockdown than from just having the virus, and I can make a coherent argument against it, but we DO know that more people will die (and the person being told to lock down is one of those at risk too. Plus their family. Who’s lives they certainly don’t have a right to risk).

Now, we can fight about seatbelts and assisted euthanasia and abortion and all sorts of libertarian beliefs if you want, but don’t get all indignant if we force people to *perhaps* sacrifice some comforts/mental health to *definitely* save many lives. Sorry.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2020, 03:56:35 PM »
So do we should not open things back up until more is known? If so how long would you wait?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2020, 03:56:43 PM »
Regarding the OP, it's not an apples to apples comparison until you have the whole picture. The two approaches are based on a preference for higher intensity for a shorter time (Sweden) or a lower peak but extended over a longer period (Denmark). As long as the healthcare system is not overwhelmed, you can't say the Swedish model was the wrong approach.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2020, 04:01:24 PM »
An interesting question would be the long term impacts on the economy.

I am willing to bet Sweden will end up being hit harder, which disproves the entire argument against lockdown in the first place.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2020, 04:05:36 PM »
An interesting question would be the long term impacts on the economy.

I am willing to bet Sweden will end up being hit harder, which disproves the entire argument against lockdown in the first place.
Exactly. That wouldn’t shock me at all. This fact is exactly why we don’t risk real lives for a maybe.
So do we should not open things back up until more is known? If so how long would you wait?
I answered this a couple of times upthread. When we know enough and are prepared enough to let people out without risking a large outbreak, and the capability to shut it down when it does start.