Author Topic: Denmark and Sweden: An apples to apples comparison  (Read 70352 times)

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Denmark and Sweden: An apples to apples comparison
« Reply #302 on: May 22, 2020, 10:05:41 AM »

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 22, 2020, 10:10:59 AM »
All you’re showing is that immunity can exist, not that a population has immunity
I’m showing proof as to what I said. NYC has between 20-30 percent infected already. When you factor in the percentage of people that would not be susceptible then you could possibly have 55-70 percent of the population which are immune.

You brought an article from Sweden how they don’t have antibodies, the reason is for that is that they assume that the virus would spread rapidly even with social distancing measures in place and large gatherings banned.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 22, 2020, 10:12:59 AM »
Which data has shown you that? There may be other strategies that work as well but where have you seen that early stay at home orders haven’t worked?
Which data has shown you that it has worked?
Not a self evident truth. Stay at home orders early on have had a very dramatic effect on stunting spread, see Sweden vs. other Nordic countries. Still, they are not the way to go long term. Clear guidelines and targeted restrictions will need to be implemented instead.
The Denmark to Sweden comparison is very convenient, but we see local variations in other parts of the world (see Iran vs. it's neighbors, NY/NJ vs. it's neighbors). Might it have to do with stay at home order, yes. But I don't think that's conclusive.
That’s for sure, and armed with lots of that knowledge we can be smarter about what strategies we implement in fighting the spread.We still have many questions, but we have a good idea of how this spreads and how to stop it
Maybe yes, maybe no. I'm not convinced.
It’s not inevitable in and of itself. It seems that if we return to normal than it will come back (as there is no immunity, so no reason it shouldn’t return as long as it exists) so our goal should be staying as safe as possible while we get back to ourselves, buying us time to see the trend early next time and in general lowering the R0 number to manageable non-pandemic proportions.
I just don't see human behavior changing enough to make a dent
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #305 on: May 22, 2020, 10:13:24 AM »
I’m showing proof as to what I said. NYC has between 20-30 percent infected already. When you factor in the percentage of people that would not be susceptible then you could possibly have 55-70 percent of the population which are immune.

You brought an article from Sweden how they don’t have antibodies, the reason is for that is that they assume that the virus would spread rapidly even with social distancing measures in place and large gatherings banned.
The vast majority of the world does not have immunity. Therefore,
It seems that if we return to normal than it will come back (as there is no immunity, so no reason it shouldn’t return as long as it exists) so our goal should be staying as safe as possible while we get back to ourselves, buying us time to see the trend early next time and in general lowering the R0 number to manageable non-pandemic proportions.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 22, 2020, 10:14:59 AM »
1918 pandemic, we can agree there were no widespread stay at home orders, yes? We know that the pandemic's first wave naturally came to it's first end. Do we know why? Do we know that it's not the same reason this one is seemingly doing so as well?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #307 on: May 22, 2020, 10:17:50 AM »

Firstly, the additional 20-50% you claim would not have been susceptible is pure speculation, and completely changes the equation. Second, I'm not sure what immunity means to you. Is it forever, 5 years, 5 months? There's zero data about that.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #308 on: May 22, 2020, 10:22:27 AM »
Which data has shown you that it has worked?The Denmark to Sweden comparison is very convenient, but we see local variations in other parts of the world (see Iran vs. it's neighbors).
Please do present an apples to apples comparison with reliable data that seems to be at odds with what I have presented regarding Sweden and Denmark. Keep in mind I that created this thread before Denmark reopened.

Might it have to do with stay at home order, yes. But I don't think that's conclusive.
Explain how it’s not conclusive? Here are almost identical countries in one geographic area with extremely similar cultures and features. Most went one way, 1 went the other as far as stay at home orders are concerned. Otherwise, I’m unaware of any difference in approach. The result was that most had a dramatically lower death and infection rate than the outlier country. Unless you can present a valid third variable I see no reason why this theory doesn’t hold up.

Maybe yes, maybe no. I'm not convinced.I just don't see human behavior changing enough to make a dent
Again, it has been proven time and again by science that this works. People have already been careful and that has had a dramatic effect. Why wouldn’t this continue to be the case, especially as we gain knowledge of how it spreads?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:26:12 AM by S209 »

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #309 on: May 22, 2020, 10:24:02 AM »
1918 pandemic, we can agree there were no widespread stay at home orders, yes? We know that the pandemic's first wave naturally came to it's first end. Do we know why? Do we know that it's not the same reason this one is seemingly doing so as well?
There were stay at home orders in many places, and those that implemented them had far lower infection rates overall. It’s a classic example of stay at home orders proving effective.

ETA: Here you go
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-04-05/1918-flu-history-offers-context-and-hope-for-coronavirus-pandemic

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/san-francisco-had-1918-flu-under-control-then-it-lifted-n1191141

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241614086.html

https://time.com/5830265/1918-flu-reopening-coronavirus/

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:29:35 AM by S209 »

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #310 on: May 22, 2020, 10:25:15 AM »
When you factor in the percentage of people that would not be susceptible then you could possibly have 55-70 percent of the population which are immune.
What are you talking about? Where have you seen any evidence of people not being susceptible?

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 22, 2020, 10:27:51 AM »
Lockdowns around the world are not full lockdowns. And Sweden, despite not locking down, still had many people that were practicing social distancing and being careful despite what the law said. (There’s actually plenty of evidence of this phenomenon in the US, where states were effectively in self-lockdown before any order was given from the governor.)
This is why government mandated lockdowns are a terrible idea. All we need is the truth from the DOH, CDC, etc. and everyone will make decisions for themselves.

We also see that government regulation were by far the biggest culprits here, between the CDC bungling the tests causing a delay in available tests and governors forcing nursing homes to take COVID+ patients.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 22, 2020, 10:33:01 AM »
What are you talking about? Where have you seen any evidence of people not being susceptible?
Did you not click on any of the three links I posted? 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #313 on: May 22, 2020, 10:47:08 AM »
I'm not a scientist, so this isn't making sense to me, but maybe someone can explain it to me. Researchers are finding antibodies in uninfected people that are also found in infected people as reactive to Covid. The thought is, people got those antibodies from other coronaviruses, like the common cold, and that may confer some immunity to Covid. Here's the thing: I get a cold twice a year. It's called the common cold because of how common it is. Why would we think those antibodies confer immunity from Covid when they can't even keep us from getting a cold?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #314 on: May 22, 2020, 10:47:53 AM »
Tbh I hadn’t, no. Just skimmed through them. Nothing proved anything about individuals not being susceptible. They theorized but did not prove that there is crossreactivity from T cells of other coronaviruses that help fight COVID-19. All they showed was that they exist and may help.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #315 on: May 22, 2020, 11:03:56 AM »
I did. 2 of them are identical, one being an online version and the other a pdf.

None show anything with any relation to what you said that any people are not susceptible, much less anything like the percentage you made up. Making up these things with no basis in reality is not helpful to anything.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 22, 2020, 11:06:59 AM »
I did. 2 of them are identical, one being an online version and the other a pdf.

None show anything with any relation to what you said that any people are not susceptible, much less anything like the percentage you made up. Making up these things with no basis in reality is not helpful to anything.

The percentage comes from 40-60% of uninfected people already having one of the antibodies labeled as reactive to Covid. Where the immunity is supposed to come from, I still don't get.

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 22, 2020, 11:18:23 AM »
The percentage comes from 40-60% of uninfected people already having one of the antibodies labeled as reactive to Covid. Where the immunity is supposed to come from, I still don't get.
It comes from other coronaviruses most likely. They found blood samples back from 2015 which were immune to COVID.

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 22, 2020, 11:19:53 AM »

If you have immunity from other viruses because you have these Tcells then you aren’t susceptible to the virus. I didn’t make up anything and I confirmed everything in those studies with doctors.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts