Author Topic: Long Term Effects of COVID-19  (Read 55585 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Long Term Effects of COVID-19
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 03:41:10 AM »
What is already known and what are long term concerns about lingering effects of COVID-19 after recovery or for those who have had mild no clear known symptoms?
I would include long term effects and morbidity of any intubation.
We have seen articles about effects on the lungs of young people with few symptoms. Are there any follow up studies about how those healed over time?
We have seen reports of the virus residing in testicles. What kind of effects can that have on future fertility and future birth defects?
Scary. Just bought an Oximeter
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline srap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 08:29:49 AM »
Scary. Just bought an Oximeter
Yup.  There are days my SaO2 goes down to 94% even though I had the virus over 2 months ago.  Symptoms still flare up every few days.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2020, 08:44:21 AM »
Yup.  There are days my SaO2 goes down to 94% even though I had the virus over 2 months ago.  Symptoms still flare up every few days.
What was your baseline? 95 is within normal range.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2020, 09:40:45 AM »
Maybe take HCQ
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2020, 09:47:10 AM »
Hearing anecdotally from my friends who are recovering (who were inflicted to varying degrees) that they are working on building lung capacity back up - but again, this is anecdotal, and I can't definitively tell you how different this is from any other person who's been laid up in bed for a month.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2020, 04:18:25 PM »
This seems like an appropriate thread to resuscitate, based on a few recent posts regarding long term effects of covid:

1. Ergel posted this article Covid-19 Can Last Several Months from The Atlantic, on long term effects of covid

2. Lurker posted this article http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282581 from Israel
The article shows how 50% of the non-serious cases actually have greater internal damage, with potentially long-lasting health implications. Considering the social and economic impacts of a nation with potentially life-long health issues, I'd say we have every reason to keep as many people as possible from getting infected at all.

3. I've recently heard about the following cases
male, about 40, used to work out with a trainer, now gets winded after less than 10 minutes of activity
female, about 40, experiencing chronic pain on her side since having COVID
male, 60s, having visual problems since COVID

Yet @ExGingi and @Kobe bryent each say they know about 100 people who have no long-term problems.  Do they really have no more symptoms, or they just haven't mentioned them?   It would be helpful if those with many recovered friends could ask them specifically whether or not they have any remaining symptoms from COVID-19, and post the results here.  Maybe DDF will contribute another breakthrough, like the early discovery of loss of smell as a symptom.  ;)

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2020, 04:43:24 PM »
Yet @ExGingi and @Kobe bryent each say they know about 100 people who have no long-term problems.  Do they really have no more symptoms, or they just haven't mentioned them?   It would be helpful if those with many recovered friends could ask them specifically whether or not they have any remaining symptoms from COVID-19, and post the results here.  Maybe DDF will contribute another breakthrough, like the early discovery of loss of smell as a symptom.  ;)

The Gedalia Society might have actual data on this.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2020, 04:47:26 PM »
This seems like an appropriate thread to resuscitate, based on a few recent posts regarding long term effects of covid:

1. Ergel posted this article Covid-19 Can Last Several Months from The Atlantic, on long term effects of covid

2. Lurker posted this article http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282581 from Israel 

male, about 40, used to work out with a trainer, now gets winded after less than 10 minutes of activity

Very hard to be objective when there is the potential for psychosomatic symptoms after an illness. There are tens of thousands of people who claim to have chronic long term impacts from Lyme disease. Some may be real but there is little objective clinical evidence. Have to wait for studies that measure lung function etc. to draw any reliable conclusions.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 06:03:13 PM by cmey »

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2020, 05:21:05 PM »
What about the long term mental health issues of the lockdown?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2020, 05:35:01 PM »
Yes, we can get to that question in another thread. Here we're looking for long-term physical or mental health issues related to having had covid.

Offline ari3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2020, 09:47:40 PM »

Being that the virus arrived here appx than 4 months ago its a bit difficult to ascertain long term health issues. You would need at least a couple of years for that.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2020, 10:00:27 PM »
I heard a couple of people say that they are still very sensitive to the smell of eggs. Wondering if anyone else out there had that.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2020, 10:39:06 PM »
Being that the virus arrived here appx than 4 months ago its a bit difficult to ascertain long term health issues. You would need at least a couple of years for that.
Yes, certainly, we can return in a few years to update!  I should have written "lingering" rather than "long term" symptoms.  That is, while most recover within a week, some people are still unwell many weeks after infection.

Kobe bryent and ExGingi think lingering symptoms are rare, based on not hearing about them from acquaintances.  I was suggesting that directly asking acquaintances whether they still have symptoms might elicit a more accurate response.

I personally know over 100 people in my immediate circle, who have had Covid19, and AFAIK none have any issues BH (may it continue so).
The only lingering effect that I have heard of in my circles (probably just as large), is of some people not having their sense of smell (and possibly taste) fully recovered.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2020, 10:41:10 PM »
Have also heard of a few people reporting general weakness or some shortness of breath (not as bad as when they were sick, but not as good as before).
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline cmey

• View Profile

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2020, 04:36:49 PM »
Yes, certainly, we can return in a few years to update!  I should have written "lingering" rather than "long term" symptoms.  That is, while most recover within a week, some people are still unwell many weeks after infection.

I know quite a few pepple who have lingering effects.
weakness in particular;  no stamina.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2020, 05:36:59 PM »
I know this is weird and purely anecdotal but some of the people I know who’ve had moderate cases of COVID (sick in bed, high fever, some with lower oxygen, but not hospitalized) have seemed very nervous and on edge since. They’ll get angry at very little provocation, get annoyed with little things that didn’t seem to bother them before, more anxious, etc. As I said, very weird. Anyone else find this?

I know some will say this is due to quarantine but I’m specifically referring to people who’ve had moderate cases of COVID. I’m not sure about severe cases but I haven’t seen it in people who haven’t had it or had very mild cases.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2020, 05:37:27 PM »
What about the long term effects of post nasal drip?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Eb228

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2020, 06:46:35 PM »
I know this is weird and purely anecdotal but some of the people I know who’ve had moderate cases of COVID (sick in bed, high fever, some with lower oxygen, but not hospitalized) have seemed very nervous and on edge since. They’ll get angry at very little provocation, get annoyed with little things that didn’t seem to bother them before, more anxious, etc. As I said, very weird. Anyone else find this?

I know some will say this is due to quarantine but I’m specifically referring to people who’ve had moderate cases of COVID. I’m not sure about severe cases but I haven’t seen it in people who haven’t had it or had very mild cases.

That prob has more to do with quarentene than COVID

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2020, 07:23:31 PM »
covid can have an affect on the central nervous system. (no smell, for example)
Having a brush with death can have a mental health affect.
Long term fatigue, especially when it seems like you're the only one, or you wonder if your fatigue is real, can be very frustrating.
My favorite cause: cssy.org