Author Topic: Long Term Effects of COVID-19  (Read 55608 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Long Term Effects of COVID-19
« Reply #160 on: October 19, 2020, 01:37:41 PM »
Since a cochlear implant is permanent, I think  you should wait a lot longer to see if the covid symptoms abate or hopefully clear completely before you make that commitment.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/14/nj-man-gets-cochlear-implant-due-to-hearing-loss-from-covid-19/
Visibly Jewish

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2020, 11:05:13 PM »
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2020/10/a-gizinte-vinter.html

B”H, over the summer,  Lakewood saw almost no Corona cases and went almost 3 months without a single hospitalization for new cases. However, it wasn’t truly a reprieve from COVID as we were dealing with the aftermath of the first wave – including recovered patients suffered later Covid-related repercussions including quite a few cardiac/clot-related and an unfortunate uptick in miscarriages.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Euclid

• View Profile

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
Long Term Effects of COVID-19
« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2020, 10:50:28 AM »
https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-mental-illness-int-idUSKBN27P35N

Many COVID-19 survivors are likely to be at greater risk of developing mental illness, psychiatrists said on Monday, after a large study found 20% of those infected with the coronavirus are diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder within 90 days.
This has been discussed on DDF many times (anecdotes); this study seems to confirm it.

Study: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(20)30462-4/fulltext
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:53:55 AM by Euclid »

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2020, 10:29:14 PM »
We have seen reports of the virus residing in testicles. What kind of effects can that have on future fertility and future birth defects?
https://www.timesofisrael.com/covid-is-harming-sperm-israeli-researchers-say-raising-infertility-worries/

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-can-affect-male-fertility-researchers-say

“I’m fairly certain, just like mumps, about 20 to 30% of men are going to have some sort of affected fertility in their future,” Dr. Ramasamy said.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2020, 03:32:14 PM »
https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-mental-illness-int-idUSKBN27P35N
This has been discussed on DDF many times (anecdotes); this study seems to confirm it.

Study: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(20)30462-4/fulltext
It probably has just as much to do with the lockdown and the doomsday scenarios being talked about all day than the disease itself

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2020, 03:38:24 PM »
It probably has just as much to do with the lockdown and the doomsday scenarios being talked about all day than the disease itself

Why would that affect those who had tested positive more than others?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2020, 12:26:18 AM »
Of course. Why let facts get in the way of opinion?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2020, 12:30:54 AM »
Nah it's the mockery and ridicule from Covid deniers that's frustrating them and driving them nuts
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2020, 12:52:43 AM »
Friends wife in early 20’s developed asthma-like breathing issues since getting mild case of COVID in March. Hasn’t gone away yet.

Sounds like me except that I didn't have what I would call a mild case, and I've received an actual diagnosis of asthma and have been placed on medication (bh controls symptoms well). The doctor wasn't too surprised- says he has quite a few patients who are young and fit before covid who've come in with asthma-like symptoms after suffering from covid. Common denominator seems to be hypoxia during covid, which appears to have done the damage. Obviously he can't know if it's chronic, but he didn't seem too optimistic. For now I'm doing followups every 3 months to see if it's better/worse.

My question- not that it matters much now (and the doc wasn't helpful) is:

a) is it as a result of not seeking treatment (an impossibility unless I wanted to end up on a respirator in March- we know where those people mostly ended up) and oxegyn or a bronchial dilator would have helped?
Or
b) is the damage as a result of the actual virus and my body dueling in which case there's very little to nothing currently on the market that could have treated me to prevent damage.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #171 on: December 08, 2020, 12:59:30 AM »

a) is it as a result of not seeking treatment (an impossibility unless I wanted to end up on a respirator in March- we know where those people mostly ended up) and oxegyn or a bronchial dilator would have helped?
Or
b) is the damage as a result of the actual virus and my body dueling in which case there's very little to nothing currently on the market that could have treated me to prevent damage.
Were you taking any albuterol or oxygen at the time?

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 08, 2020, 01:02:29 AM »
Sounds like me except that I didn't have what I would call a mild case

I used the term mild in the medical sense, that if you weren't hospitalized you were considered mild. It could be you had worse, but as a general rule many people with "mild" COVID had the worst illness of their lifetime.

I've received an actual diagnosis of asthma and have been placed on medication (bh controls symptoms well). The doctor wasn't too surprised- says he has quite a few patients who are young and fit before covid who've come in with asthma-like symptoms after suffering from covid. Common denominator seems to be hypoxia during covid, which appears to have done the damage. Obviously he can't know if it's chronic, but he didn't seem too optimistic. For now I'm doing followups every 3 months to see if it's better/worse.

Or

I don't understand your question, but would like to say - refuah shelema bim'hera!
Visibly Jewish

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #173 on: December 08, 2020, 01:47:39 AM »
It could be you had worse, but as a general rule many people with "mild" COVID had the worst illness of their lifetime.
+1

My brother, a fierce COVID denier who BH did not need to be hospitalized, said he would do almost anything to avoid what he went through for 3 weeks again. He said he never felt so miserable, or sick for so long. There are also many who lose their sense of smell or taste for days/weeks/months/forever.

Then again, many people have nothing but a cold and fever (at least in the short term).

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 08, 2020, 03:37:27 AM »
Sounds like me except that I didn't have what I would call a mild case, and I've received an actual diagnosis of asthma and have been placed on medication (bh controls symptoms well). The doctor wasn't too surprised- says he has quite a few patients who are young and fit before covid who've come in with asthma-like symptoms after suffering from covid. Common denominator seems to be hypoxia during covid, which appears to have done the damage. Obviously he can't know if it's chronic, but he didn't seem too optimistic. For now I'm doing followups every 3 months to see if it's better/worse.

Or

b) seems much more likely to me.  There's a theory that when asthma first appears in adulthood, it may be related to some respiratory infection (among other possible causes).  So may be related to having a viral infection, not necessarily unique to coronavirus. Here's one review article from 2013:

Adult-onset asthma: is it really different?

https://err.ersjournals.com/content/22/127/44

The occurrence of acute lower respiratory infections is strongly
associated with the risk of new adult-onset asthma [72]. The
link between respiratory infections and the development of
asthma in adulthood has been proposed for many decades [73],
although it is still unclear how respiratory infections might
induce asthma. Age-related altered antigen presentation and
decreased specific antibody responses may lead to subtle
immune deficiencies that may allow respiratory infections to
provoke injury to the airways. This, in turn, may set up a
vicious cycle of an ongoing inflammatory process leading to
asthma [74]. Another explanation is that respiratory pathogens
may act as triggers of asthma onset to other factors, such as
environmental exposures.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 08, 2020, 11:58:31 AM »
Were you taking any albuterol or oxygen at the time?

No. There was no way to get care other than hospitalization, which I felt was to be used as a last resort only.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 08, 2020, 12:01:07 PM »
I used the term mild in the medical sense, that if you weren't hospitalized you were considered mild. It could be you had worse, but as a general rule many people with "mild" COVID had the worst illness of their lifetime.
Gotcha- I guess I had a 'mild' case then... my oxygen hovered in the low 90s to upper 80s.

I don't understand your question, but would like to say - refuah shelema bim'hera!
Thank you:)

To rephrase: I'm wondering if what is currently available to relieve breathing difficulties, like oxygen or steroids, would have prevented long term damage as well, or if the damage is as a result of the virus itself, and relieving symptoms wouldn't have prevented long term damage.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #179 on: December 08, 2020, 12:02:54 PM »
No. There was no way to get care other than hospitalization, which I felt was to be used as a last resort only.
You were probably right.