Author Topic: Long Term Effects of COVID-19  (Read 54589 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Long Term Effects of COVID-19
« Reply #180 on: December 08, 2020, 12:03:05 PM »
Gotcha- I guess I had a 'mild' case then... my oxygen hovered in the low 90s to upper 80s.
Thank you:)

To rephrase: I'm wondering if what is currently available to relieve breathing difficulties, like oxygen or steroids, would have prevented long term damage as well, or if the damage is as a result of the virus itself, and relieving symptoms wouldn't have prevented long term damage.
To my understanding, steroids can suppress the immune system and impact that actual progression of the virus
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 08, 2020, 12:06:18 PM »
b) seems much more likely to me.  There's a theory that when asthma first appears in adulthood, it may be related to some respiratory infection (among other possible causes).  So may be related to having a viral infection, not necessarily unique to coronavirus. Here's one review article from 2013:

Adult-onset asthma: is it really different?

https://err.ersjournals.com/content/22/127/44

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2020, 07:49:02 AM »
My wife teaches in a seminary in Israel (over 90% of the students contracted Covid around rosh hashannah) and was doing a Chanukah program which involved blowing up balloons. 4(!) of the 30 girls in her class could not blow up balloons due to decreased lung capacity since having Covid
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 16, 2020, 12:16:49 PM »
My wife teaches in a seminary in Israel (over 90% of the students contracted Covid around rosh hashannah) and was doing a Chanukah program which involved blowing up balloons. 4(!) of the 30 girls in her class could not blow up balloons due to decreased lung capacity since having Covid
I was never able to blow up balloons.....

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 16, 2020, 12:31:42 PM »

Who said this has to do with Covid - possibly an all life problem.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 16, 2020, 01:30:06 PM »
The girls told my wife

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2020, 01:57:18 PM »
Every single medical study that researched it
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2020, 02:04:09 PM »
I don't get it, my wife was there. Do you have such a hard time believing this is true as to deny a first hand account of the story. You think my wife just made it up?

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 16, 2020, 02:05:34 PM »
We discussed this in July.  An Israeli doctor found that 50% of recovered Covid patients had respiratory problems, but I think he was looking specifically at those who had been hospitalized.  He was starting to research how common this was among others who had recovered, and the phone number to sign up was in this article.  https://www.jpost.com/health-science/50-percent-of-covid-19-patients-suffer-from-weakness-distress-after-recovery-633072

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 16, 2020, 02:13:08 PM »
We discussed this in July.  An Israeli doctor found that 50% of recovered Covid patients had respiratory problems, but I think he was looking specifically at those who had been hospitalized.  He was starting to research how common this was among others who had recovered, and the phone number to sign up was in this article.  https://www.jpost.com/health-science/50-percent-of-covid-19-patients-suffer-from-weakness-distress-after-recovery-633072
Any studies like this in the US? The one in the article is for Israeli residents.
Although wondering if doctors network on this and report patients experiencing recurring symptoms to a global or national database. I know my pulmonologist was careful to note down all the details- when I had covid and what my symptoms were, any colds/respiratory viruses I experienced after that that could have worsened my condition, etc.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2020, 02:38:33 PM »
Any studies like this in the US? The one in the article is for Israeli residents.
Although wondering if doctors network on this and report patients experiencing recurring symptoms to a global or national database. I know my pulmonologist was careful to note down all the details- when I had covid and what my symptoms were, any colds/respiratory viruses I experienced after that that could have worsened my condition, etc.
The Israeli report was much earlier in the pandemic, and referred to those who had been severely ill and hospitalized, so the expectation is that lung effects would be less common among those who had milder cases.  Here's a more recent summary of respiratory effects, from a hospital system in Cincinnati, and includes this encouraging paragraph:

Can lung damage from this virus be reversed in any way? How likely is an infected person able to recover and regain lung function?
Current treatments are effective in reducing the amount of initial damage, reducing the severity, aimed at reducing the amount of propagating injury and the duration. Depending on the severity of respiratory inflammation and damage, as well as patient comorbidities, duration of injury and genetics, patients can see improvement in their lung function. Analogous to having pneumonia, over time, patients’ lung function can recover. Looking at previous experience with SARS and MERS coronaviruses, studies following patients after developing pulmonary fibrosis showed that pulmonary lesions diminished primarily in the first year after recovery. In cases of severe inflammation, the challenge is with the development of pulmonary fibrosis. Chronic inflammation has been considered as the main cause of pulmonary fibrosis and may lead to epithelial damage and fibroblast activation. Studies are ongoing that test antifibrotic agents.

https://www.uchealth.com/en/media-room/covid-19/short-and-long-term-lung-damage-from-covid-19

Re: Is anyone in USA studying long-term effects of Covid on the lungs, I am sure that the answer is yes, because, basically, that's what doctors/scientists like to do - research something important.  We had discussed earlier these studies were starting on long-term effects in general (not just on respiratory system):

Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC has set up a center to address these issues:
https://www.mountsinai.org/about/covid19/center-post-covid-care

This article mentions similar programs at Yale, Hopkins and "elsewhere".
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/health/coronavirus-recovery-survivors.html

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 16, 2020, 03:50:26 PM »
The Israeli report was much earlier in the pandemic, and referred to those who had been severely ill and hospitalized, so the expectation is that lung effects would be less common among those who had milder cases.  Here's a more recent summary of respiratory effects, from a hospital system in Cincinnati, and includes this encouraging paragraph:

Can lung damage from this virus be reversed in any way? How likely is an infected person able to recover and regain lung function?
Current treatments are effective in reducing the amount of initial damage, reducing the severity, aimed at reducing the amount of propagating injury and the duration. Depending on the severity of respiratory inflammation and damage, as well as patient comorbidities, duration of injury and genetics, patients can see improvement in their lung function. Analogous to having pneumonia, over time, patients’ lung function can recover. Looking at previous experience with SARS and MERS coronaviruses, studies following patients after developing pulmonary fibrosis showed that pulmonary lesions diminished primarily in the first year after recovery. In cases of severe inflammation, the challenge is with the development of pulmonary fibrosis. Chronic inflammation has been considered as the main cause of pulmonary fibrosis and may lead to epithelial damage and fibroblast activation. Studies are ongoing that test antifibrotic agents.

https://www.uchealth.com/en/media-room/covid-19/short-and-long-term-lung-damage-from-covid-19

Re: Is anyone in USA studying long-term effects of Covid on the lungs, I am sure that the answer is yes, because, basically, that's what doctors/scientists like to do - research something important.  We had discussed earlier these studies were starting on long-term effects in general (not just on respiratory system):

Appreciate the detailed answer! Will look into it.

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2020, 10:11:33 PM »
I don't get it, my wife was there. Do you have such a hard time believing this is true as to deny a first hand account of the story. You think my wife just made it up?
He probably didn't question the story, he asked who can prove it as a result of covid, as in:
I was never able to blow up balloons.....
Some people always have difficulties blowing up balloons. How many of you can blow up a water balloon? :)

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2020, 10:24:19 PM »
He probably didn't question the story, he asked who can prove it as a result of covid, as in:Some people always have difficulties blowing up balloons. How many of you can blow up a water balloon? :)
Are there really regular people who have issues blowing up a balloon? I always thought I just never learned how to do it right.

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2020, 10:57:59 PM »
Are there really regular people who have issues blowing up a balloon? I always thought I just never learned how to do it right.
Sure. Kids especially. And depends on the balloon type too.

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2020, 11:17:47 PM »
Are there really regular people who have issues blowing up a balloon?
Sure. As in gasping for air after a few tries.

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 16, 2020, 11:34:53 PM »
https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/22166236/long-term-side-effects-covid-19-symptoms-heart-fatigue

Wow! This should get more attention!

Makes the argument for the vaccine all the more compelling for the young and healthy.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 12:03:03 AM by David61 »

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 17, 2020, 12:19:58 AM »
It's getting plenty of attention, it's our community that needs to take its head out of the sand

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2020, 11:27:00 PM »
https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/22166236/long-term-side-effects-covid-19-symptoms-heart-fatigue

Makes the argument for the vaccine all the more compelling for the young and healthy.

How prevalent is this? Is it correlated to severity or mild/asymptomatic infections can result in this at equal rates?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael