Author Topic: Long Term Effects of COVID-19  (Read 54702 times)

Online skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Long Term Effects of COVID-19
« Reply #260 on: April 07, 2021, 08:29:29 PM »
Could you explain what those ratios represent here, practically speaking?
Not really. But wiki says:
In its simplest form, the hazard ratio can be interpreted as the chance of an event occurring in the treatment arm divided by the chance of the event occurring in the control arm, or vice versa, of a study.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 07, 2021, 08:33:03 PM »
This · means ratio? Never understood how to interpret the two numbers and then the CI numbers in parenthesis. IIRC I read up on it and for a moment thought I understood what CI meant.

No it’s a decimal.

6 month numbers are 31.7% for non-hospitalized patients, and 38.7% for hospitalized. Both are very high but the non-hospitalized number is shocking. The number in the parentheses is the range within the margin of error.
Visibly Jewish

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 07, 2021, 09:58:52 PM »
No it’s a decimal.

6 month numbers are 31.7% for non-hospitalized patients, and 38.7% for hospitalized. Both are very high but the non-hospitalized number is shocking. The number in the parentheses is the range within the margin of error.

That’s a funny period. Wondering if they report broken down numbers that are significant, e.g. the vast majority might be anxiety, depression (potentially PTSD) and/or insomnia.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Online dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 09, 2021, 09:51:33 AM »
Curious as to how these numbers compare to survivors of any other acute life threatening situation. Also, is there any indication that there is some organic component to this or is this simply a result of the trauma of contracting a life threatening illness during a global pandemic.   

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 09, 2021, 09:54:25 AM »
Curious as to how these numbers compare to survivors of any other acute life threatening situation. Also, is there any indication that there is some organic component to this or is this simply a result of the trauma of contracting a life threatening illness during a global pandemic.
This, and how many people who didn't get covid are suffering the same trauma.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #266 on: April 09, 2021, 09:56:26 AM »
This, and how many people who didn't get covid are suffering the same trauma.

People who didn't get Covid are seeing an increase in strokes?  ???
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 09, 2021, 10:03:54 AM »
People who didn't get Covid are seeing an increase in strokes?  ???
"Six months after being diagnosed with Covid-19, 1 in 3 patients also had experienced a psychiatric or neurological illness, mostly mood disorders but also strokes or dementia, a large new study shows."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #268 on: April 09, 2021, 10:15:43 AM »
"Six months after being diagnosed with Covid-19, 1 in 3 patients also had experienced a psychiatric or neurological illness, mostly mood disorders but also strokes or dementia, a large new study shows."

I read it, just wondering why you were ignoring the non-mood issues. And to answer your specific point, the control group also lived in the Covid era, unless they took their control numbers from pre-Covid times (which I don't know).

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 09, 2021, 10:38:59 AM »
I read it, just wondering why you were ignoring the non-mood issues. And to answer your specific point, the control group also lived in the Covid era, unless they took their control numbers from pre-Covid times (which I don't know).
I'm not saying there are no long term effects, I'm opening up the possibility that a large amount of the increase is not directly caused by covid.

Online dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 09, 2021, 11:30:34 AM »
I freely admit that I didn't look at one bit of the data and I probably wouldn't know what I was reading if I did, but if you live in a high density frum community the likelihood is that most of your relatives, friends and fellow mispallilim had covid. Even allowing for the typical secrecy associated with mental illness in the frum community, I find it extremely unlikely that 30% of the people around us are suddenly silently suffering from various forms of mental illness and we don't see any hints of it.   

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 09, 2021, 11:51:12 AM »
I freely admit that I didn't look at one bit of the data and I probably wouldn't know what I was reading if I did, but if you live in a high density frum community the likelihood is that most of your relatives, friends and fellow mispallilim had covid. Even allowing for the typical secrecy associated with mental illness in the frum community, I find it extremely unlikely that 30% of the people around us are suddenly silently suffering from various forms of mental illness and we don't see any hints of it.

First, you have no clue what anyone else happens to be going through. Davening next to someone will tell you how tall he is, the color of his hair, and maybe if he showered that morning. It doesn't tell you a single thing about what's going on inside his head. Second, the study was about diagnoses of neurological or psychiatric disorders, with almost a quarter of a million people studied. The first time I heard of possible neurological issues post-Covid was here, about an otherwise healthy man from Lakewood having a stroke a few months after having had Covid.

Online S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 02, 2021, 11:38:20 AM »
This is gonna need its own thread...
Was posted here a couple of month ago, I believe.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 05, 2021, 02:51:43 AM »
A perfectly healthy relative of mine in his mid twenties had Corona twice and some post corona symptoms. Finally got a brain MRI which showed an edema in the mesencephalon, was immediately rushed to the hospital and is being prepped now for a needle biopsy to be potentially done later today.

The cause can be bacteria/viral infection, autoimmune response, or ch’v worse and the only way to diagnose it is by extracting tissue in a complicated procedure.

Bh top doctors are on the case, but from what I hear this is a somewhat known covid related phenomenon, so if anybody has more info on that angle please let me know.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 05, 2021, 07:57:00 AM »
A perfectly healthy relative of mine in his mid twenties had Corona twice and some post corona symptoms. Finally got a brain MRI which showed an edema in the mesencephalon, was immediately rushed to the hospital and is being prepped now for a needle biopsy to be potentially done later today.

The cause can be bacteria/viral infection, autoimmune response, or ch’v worse and the only way to diagnose it is by extracting tissue in a complicated procedure.

Bh top doctors are on the case, but from what I hear this is a somewhat known covid related phenomenon, so if anybody has more info on that angle please let me know.

Oy, Refuah sheleima
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 05, 2021, 09:22:25 AM »

It's known that covid can affect the nervous system, including causing encephalitis.  It looks like they're at the stage of collecting cases to see how frequently the different neurological conditions occur, and figuring out whether the symptoms are due to the virus entering the brain or are caused indirectly by the processes induced by the virus elsewhere in the body.  It could be that when it comes to treatment, though, the involvement of covid is less relevant, and they would just treat it as they would have done if they'd found those symptoms pre-covid.

Here are some reviews in user-friendly and medical literature:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/covid-19-brain-neurological-issues_l_5fd1248ac5b61d81b33b7d78
https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/covid-19s-effects-on-the-brain-68369

https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/223/1/28/5912547?login=true
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/nan.12667

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 05, 2021, 09:34:25 AM »
It's known that covid can affect the nervous system, including causing encephalitis.  It looks like they're at the stage of collecting cases to see how frequently the different neurological conditions occur, and figuring out whether the symptoms are due to the virus entering the brain or are caused indirectly by the processes induced by the virus elsewhere in the body.  It could be that when it comes to treatment, though, the involvement of covid is less relevant, and they would just treat it as they would have done if they'd found those symptoms pre-covid.

Here are some reviews in user-friendly and medical literature:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/covid-19-brain-neurological-issues_l_5fd1248ac5b61d81b33b7d78
https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/covid-19s-effects-on-the-brain-68369

https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/223/1/28/5912547?login=true
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/nan.12667
Many thanks!!!

The main difference in how prevalent this is as a Covid outcome is in deciding whether or not to take a biopsy, since the procedure is kind of brain surgery. If we knew the odds of it being caused by Covid are high, we could possibly hope for that and push off the biopsy intended to diagnose the worse explanations. Alas, the doctors unanimously agreed the biopsy is needed ASAP and we are only waiting for an OR. Hopefully it will end up being in vain.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 09:39:36 AM by PlatinumGuy »
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 05, 2021, 09:37:13 AM »
Hopefully it will end up being in vain.

Amen!!