Author Topic: Long Term Effects of COVID-19  (Read 54720 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Long Term Effects of COVID-19
« Reply #280 on: May 05, 2021, 09:37:23 AM »
Many thanks!!!

The main difference in how prevalent this is a Covid outcome is in deciding whether or not to take a biopsy, since the procedure is kind of brain surgery. If we knew the odds of it being caused by Covid are high, we could possibly hope for that and push off the biopsy intended to diagnose the worse explanations. Alas, the doctors unanimously agreed the biopsy is needed ASAP and we are only waiting for an OR. Hopefully it will end up being in vain.

Does the fact that it’s caused by COVID preclude those more serious ch”v conditions that’s that they biopsy for?

Wouldn’t that be an unknown, or is it too soon for that type of thing to develop?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 05, 2021, 09:39:15 AM »
Does the fact that it’s caused by COVID preclude those more serious ch”v conditions that’s that they biopsy for?
I certainly hope so...

Personally, I'm afraid the bigger problem affected his immune system which is how he got Covid twice.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 05, 2021, 09:47:22 AM »
Personally, I'm afraid the bigger problem affected his immune system which is how he got Covid twice.

That reasoning would favor a biopsy regardless of post-COVID’s potential neurological manifestations
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 05, 2021, 09:52:43 AM »
That reasoning would favor a biopsy regardless of post-COVID’s potential neurological manifestations
I haven't seen any reports of Covid causing cancer, so my guess is that would be unlikely enough not to justify the invasive needle biopsy. Anyways the conversation is moot as the doctors are all in one opinion and the procedure is already underway or beginning any minute (was delayed by a helicopter bringing in a trauma patient who took the OR), so we'll be much smarter in a few days.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 05, 2021, 10:03:11 AM »
I haven't seen any reports of Covid causing cancer, so my guess is that would be unlikely enough not to justify the invasive needle biopsy. Anyways the conversation is moot as the doctors are all in one opinion and the procedure is already underway or beginning any minute (was delayed by a helicopter bringing in a trauma patient who took the OR), so we'll be much smarter in a few days.

May you hear only good news Bez”h

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 05, 2021, 10:41:27 AM »
The main difference in how prevalent this is as a Covid outcome is in deciding whether or not to take a biopsy, since the procedure is kind of brain surgery. If we knew the odds of it being caused by Covid are high, we could possibly hope for that and push off the biopsy intended to diagnose the worse explanations.
It's well-known that Covid can cause neurological problems, but that doesn't mean that every neurological problem that develops during Covid-times is necessarily due to Covid.  One would still want to investigate the worse explanations, rather than rely on hope.

I haven't seen any reports of Covid causing cancer, so my guess is that would be unlikely enough not to justify the invasive needle biopsy.
I would guess that they base their decision to biopsy in large part on the expected success of treatment, not just the likelihood that it's Covid-related.  That is, if they think it might be a cancer for which there's a HIGH probability that treatment will be successful if caught early, then they would want to biopsy, even if there's only a LOW probability of it being cancer in the first place.

Let us know what you hear, and may it be good news.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 05, 2021, 06:50:31 PM »
It's well-known that Covid can cause neurological problems, but that doesn't mean that every neurological problem that develops during Covid-times is necessarily due to Covid.  One would still want to investigate the worse explanations, rather than rely on hope.
I would guess that they base their decision to biopsy in large part on the expected success of treatment, not just the likelihood that it's Covid-related.  That is, if they think it might be a cancer for which there's a HIGH probability that treatment will be successful if caught early, then they would want to biopsy, even if there's only a LOW probability of it being cancer in the first place.

Let us know what you hear, and may it be good news.

All very true. Unfortunately the reluctance to do the biopsy is exactly because of the reason you mentioned - treatment success rates aren't high. Possibly some experimental program at Duke...

BH biopsy was taken without incident. Hopefully it will continue as smoothly.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 05, 2021, 07:17:14 PM »
All very true. Unfortunately the reluctance to do the biopsy is exactly because of the reason you mentioned - treatment success rates aren't high. Possibly some experimental program at Duke...

BH biopsy was taken without incident. Hopefully it will continue as smoothly.
Good to hear that the first step went well. 

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 10, 2021, 09:08:16 AM »
As more details come to light it is clearly cancer, and the (misdiagnosed) symptoms preceded the 2 known covid infections. It seems likely the cancer compromised the immune system which is how the reinfection happened, and perhaps covid exacerbated the cancer (there is data indicating this in some breast cancer patients), but it wasn’t caused by Covid.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 10, 2021, 09:13:46 AM »
As more details come to light it is clearly cancer, and the (misdiagnosed) symptoms preceded the 2 known covid infections. It seems likely the cancer compromised the immune system which is how the reinfection happened, and perhaps covid exacerbated the cancer (there is data indicating this in some breast cancer patients), but it wasn’t caused by Covid.
Oy. Refuah shleimah
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 10, 2021, 09:23:17 AM »
Refuah shleima

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 10, 2021, 11:10:02 AM »
Refuah shleima
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 10, 2021, 01:45:21 PM »
How about a survey of those who were relatively healthy pre-COVID and had mild-to-moderate COVID (no hospitalization/no pneumonia)

1--I had no lingering symptoms 3 months after having COVID
2--I had mild lingering symptoms 3 months after having had COVID (e.g. some issues with taste, small, minor weakness/fatigue)
3--I had meaningful lingering symptoms 3 months after having COVID. These have meaningfully reduced my quality of life (moderate shortness of breath, significant fatigue, significant loss of of smell/taste that has not returned, etc.)
4--I had significant symptoms 3 months after COVID, that likely relate to COVID (been to a doctor several times, taking medication, significantly interfere with my productivity/quality of life; have been diagnosed with asthma, diabetes)
5--I had severe lingering symptoms beyond 3 months after COVID, that likely relate to COVID (Stroke, Hospitalization, disruptive to the points where I am unable to maintain job/basic-level of responsibilities)
6--I have lingering symptoms but it's not yet 3 months.
7--My lingering COVID symptoms resolved themselves when I got the COVID vaccine.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 01:52:31 PM by David61 »

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 10, 2021, 02:59:28 PM »
How about a survey of those who were relatively healthy pre-COVID and had mild-to-moderate COVID (no hospitalization/no pneumonia)

2--I had mild lingering symptoms 3 months after having had COVID (e.g. some issues with taste, small, minor weakness/fatigue)
3--I had meaningful lingering symptoms 3 months after having COVID. These have meaningfully reduced my quality of life (moderate shortness of breath, significant fatigue, significant loss of of smell/taste that has not returned, etc.)
4--I had significant symptoms 3 months after COVID, that likely relate to COVID (been to a doctor several times, taking medication, significantly interfere with my productivity/quality of life; have been diagnosed with asthma, diabetes)
5--I had severe lingering symptoms beyond 3 months after COVID, that likely relate to COVID (Stroke, Hospitalization, disruptive to the points where I am unable to maintain job/basic-level of responsibilities)
7--My lingering COVID symptoms resolved themselves when I got the COVID vaccine.
https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/קריינא_דאיגרתא_איהו_ליהוי_פרוונקא

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #294 on: May 10, 2021, 03:42:35 PM »

Start a new thread.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Offline Essen est zich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
« Reply #297 on: July 06, 2021, 05:20:04 PM »
Hi, this is the NYC Test & Trace AfterCare team checking in. You reported having symptoms during your monitoring period. Still having COVID-related symptoms?

Just got this text...
Shloffen Shloft Zich

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #298 on: July 06, 2021, 05:22:03 PM »
Hi, this is the NYC Test & Trace AfterCare team checking in. You reported having symptoms during your monitoring period. Still having COVID-related symptoms?

Just got this text...

How long post Covid?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Essen est zich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
« Reply #299 on: July 06, 2021, 06:08:37 PM »
Shloffen Shloft Zich