Author Topic: Long Term Effects of COVID-19  (Read 55500 times)

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Long Term Effects of COVID-19
« Reply #300 on: July 16, 2021, 01:32:21 PM »
Was such a Covid lingering effect mentioned here before? I'd call it delayed memory, and just heard it is Covid related, who knows.

Delayed memory for last names, company names etc. I sometimes have to dig out those words/names from the bottom of my brain, used to sit at the tip of my tongue. I wonder if there is any scientific research done on that, if it's Covid related, and if it's a permanent damage.

Offline 1avigrun

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 16, 2021, 03:54:56 PM »
Was such a Covid lingering effect mentioned here before? I'd call it delayed memory, and just heard it is Covid related, who knows.

Delayed memory for last names, company names etc. I sometimes have to dig out those words/names from the bottom of my brain, used to sit at the tip of my tongue. I wonder if there is any scientific research done on that, if it's Covid related, and if it's a permanent damage.
joe Biden strain

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 16, 2021, 03:57:09 PM »
joe Biden strain
Oy vey :'(
But I can still win the presidency.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #303 on: July 16, 2021, 04:08:41 PM »

Brain fog is a common long covid symptom.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 16, 2021, 04:41:19 PM »
Brain fog is a common symptom.
FTFY

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #305 on: July 16, 2021, 04:45:08 PM »
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 16, 2021, 05:26:22 PM »
Brain fog is a common long covid symptom.
Yes, indeed. I have gotten very bad at remembering names recently. I hope it gets better eventually.

Online Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Long Term Effects of COVID-19
« Reply #307 on: July 16, 2021, 05:43:57 PM »

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 16, 2021, 06:06:10 PM »
Exhibit A ;)
Maybe this is exhibit B, but what do you mean? :o

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #309 on: July 16, 2021, 06:16:38 PM »
Maybe this is exhibit B, but what do you mean? :o

Long Covid is when Covid symptoms persist for extended periods of time. IOW, your fix wasn't a fix, and to further dissect the frog, must be an exhibit of brain fog persisting post Covid.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 16, 2021, 06:19:23 PM »
Long Covid is when Covid symptoms persist for extended periods of time. IOW, your fix wasn't a fix, and to further dissect the frog, must be an exhibit of brain fog persisting post Covid.
Ok, so let me dissect MY frog:
My point was that brain fog is common all around, regardless of Covid.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 19, 2021, 08:24:47 PM »

Yes, indeed. I have gotten very bad at remembering names recently. I hope it gets better eventually.
@EliJelly @yelped  How often do you notice this happening?  Like 2-3 times a month?  2-3 times a day?

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 19, 2021, 10:34:28 PM »
Depends on the day. Certain days I'll be fine, others I will have a hard time remembering any name. Definitely worse when I don't sleep, which was always the case, but much more so since Covid.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 19, 2021, 11:40:00 PM »
Depends on the day. Certain days I'll be fine, others I will have a hard time remembering any name. Definitely worse when I don't sleep, which was always the case, but much more so since Covid.
Yes, that was the point I was going to make.  It happens to everyone, more often as we get older, and more often when we're sleep-deprived, under stress, or using alcohol or other drugs.  We can't stop aging, but it might improve with avoiding alcohol and stress, and making sure to get enough sleep.  One recent paper suggests that being more physically fit also makes it less common to get that tip-of-the-tongue feeling.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 19, 2021, 11:51:22 PM »
Yes, makes total sense, especially re: the exercise, I've felt the difference.

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 20, 2021, 08:45:54 AM »
Yes, that was the point I was going to make.  It happens to everyone, more often as we get older, and more often when we're sleep-deprived, under stress, or using alcohol or other drugs.  We can't stop aging, but it might improve with avoiding alcohol and stress, and making sure to get enough sleep.  One recent paper suggests that being more physically fit also makes it less common to get that tip-of-the-tongue feeling.
But it’s so much easier to blame all our problems on Covid

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 20, 2021, 11:33:40 AM »
But it’s so much easier to blame all our problems on Covid
I'm not denying that it could be Covid-related.

The other Jelly asked "Is there any scientific research on that?" and the answer is yes, it has been researched long before covid appeared, because it's something that happens to everyone.  Sometimes called a TOT event (Tip Of the Tongue).  https://thereader.mitpress.mit.edu/tip-of-the-tongue-phenomenon/ 
It occurs maybe 1-3 times per week in 20-somethings, twice that in those over 80.  It usually affects proper nouns (words we capitalize in English), so it takes a minute to remember the name of your neighbor, Chaim Yankel, or the tech company, Microsoft.  The 20-somethings just get annoyed and brush it off.  The 50-somethings pay more attention to it, because they worry that it's the first sign of dementia.  It's not.  Dementia is when you see your neighbor in shul and greet him with a hearty, "Good Shabbos, Microsoft!"  It gets worse when we're influenced by stress, alcohol, insufficient sleep.

Could it be related to Covid?  It IS one of the many symptoms that have been included in "brain fog", but from my reading people usually report more than one of those.  Here's one rundown of them:  https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news/even-mild-cases-can-cause-covid-19-fog

In our clinics and in case reports worldwide, patients report fatigue, inattention, poor concentration, difficulty working long hours, difficulty getting out of bed, a “brain fog.” This is similar to what small studies reported in survivors from the first SARS virus. Some also have more specific thinking and behavior problems—they forget the names of people they know well, they can’t follow along during business conversations, prioritizing and planning is suddenly difficult, they are inexplicably anxious and sleep poorly.

Similar to the first SARS virus, patients are experiencing unusual sensory symptoms. Everyone has heard about the loss of smell and taste in COVID-19 and other viruses; we’re also seeing changes in appetite, lightheadedness, body discomfort, and new or worsened headaches that don’t always respond to traditional pain relievers.

These are young and middle-aged people who were previously thriving. Now they are having profound changes in the way they think and feel. They’re worried about their careers, if this persists.

The good news is that most of the patients we’re seeing are getting better.
So this makes me think that if having TOTs is the only symptom someone has, it's more likely that it happens normally, and that you may be just paying more attention to it now and associating it with covid.

But even if it is Covid-related, the "treatment" would be the same: Avoid alcohol, find ways to reduce your stress, get enough sleep (for most people 7-8 hours/night), increase your aerobic exercise (walking, jogging, basketball), and eat healthy foods (For most Americans, that means less red meat, more vegetables and fruit, less oil and sugar.  I know, it sounds a lot like pareve cholent.)
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/what-is-covid-19-brain-fog-and-how-can-you-clear-it-2021030822076
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 11:39:36 AM by biobook »

Online Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 08, 2021, 12:25:25 AM »

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים