Author Topic: Couples Stuck in USA - Rent on Israeli Apartments  (Read 32155 times)

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Couples Stuck in USA - Rent on Israeli Apartments
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2020, 08:35:08 AM »
As an american who stayed in Israel over Pesach so i specifically shouldn't screw over my landlord - I take offense.

BTW, I'm loonking for a bigger apartment over the summer. Anyone have good deals?
Check out @JewishAlternativeMusic2 on Telegram.

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2020, 08:35:26 AM »
Do you know of a single person that did apply & was allowed in? Would be very happy to hear info contrary to 100% of the info out there

That's precisely my point. As far as I can tell, nobody I know has even bothered trying at all, and instead skip straight to the "borders are closed" argument. I literally don't know of one single person that has tried and was denied. No data points at all... which is quite strange.

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2020, 08:36:18 AM »
As an american who stayed in Israel over Pesach so i specifically shouldn't screw over my landlord - I take offense.

BTW, I'm loonking for a bigger apartment over the summer. Anyone have good deals?

Pretty soon apartments in the American areas will be running a BOGO special. ;)

Offline YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2020, 08:40:07 AM »
That's precisely my point. As far as I can tell, nobody I know has even bothered trying at all, and instead skip straight to the "borders are closed" argument. I literally don't know of one single person that has tried and was denied. No data points at all... which is quite strange.

Well it's one big peer pressure to go in the first place.  So if none is going back, why bother trying?  And of course Yeshiva Kollel is closed to. I'm just waiting for that argument to start once the border reopens

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2020, 08:41:23 AM »
I asked a lawyer.  If the tenant says leases is over I don't want the unit it's an admission of non residence and the landlord can enter.
selling the items is allowed right away, or do you need to wait X amount of time before doing that, or to make a good faith effort to return it to owners?
assuming the (former) tenants say that they're not making their possessions owner-less

Offline J-town

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2020, 08:42:36 AM »
Of course.  Each broker operates differently and most take a months rent from each the landlord and tenant. But I barely work with brokers, people know who we are and come directly so there's no broker fee involved

The brokers you do work with, who pays the fee, you or the renter?

Offline YesThatsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2020, 08:44:45 AM »
selling the items is allowed right away, or do you need to wait X amount of time before doing that, or to make a good faith effort to return it to owners?
assuming the (former) tenants say that they're not making their possessions owner-less

I will follow whatever Halacha says. But the tone of these tenants changed dramatically as soon as they realized I changed the locks, now they are singing a tune of cooperation and commitment,  not of unilateral declarations of lease breaking.  BH. I don't intend to reopen a unit until I know full lease terms will be honored.

Offline YesThatsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2020, 08:45:37 AM »
The brokers you do work with, who pays the fee, you or the renter?

I always pay. And most cases the tenant pays as well. Rental brokers charge a month from each.

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2020, 08:56:06 AM »

I should have a DP by mid next week. If not earlier

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2020, 09:06:51 AM »
I always pay. And most cases the tenant pays as well. Rental brokers charge a month from each.
You realize that of the tenant didn't sign a contract with the broker the landlord is on the hook for ALL broker fees?

Offline YesThatsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2020, 09:08:00 AM »
You realize that of the tenant didn't sign a contract with the broker the landlord is on the hook for ALL broker fees?

Yes. Your point?

Offline hocker

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2020, 09:09:34 AM »
Yes. Your point?
According to your own admission the fact that you don't reimburse your tenants their share of the broker fee you are in fact guilty of cheating them?!

Offline hocker

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2020, 09:11:17 AM »
I will follow whatever Halacha says. But the tone of these tenants changed dramatically as soon as they realized I changed the locks, now they are singing a tune of cooperation and commitment,  not of unilateral declarations of lease breaking.  BH. I don't intend to reopen a unit until I know full lease terms will be honored.
That's also illegal. That's called evicting a tenant without a legal right. You're liable to be sued for that. So far the only one who's engaging in illegal behavior is you!

Offline YesThatsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2020, 09:13:11 AM »
According to your own admission the fact that you don't reimburse your tenants their share of the broker fee you are in fact guilty of cheating them?!

These things are discussed in advance my dear. Broker informs both sides of their obligations in advance and usually gets a signature. What's wrong about that?

I happen to rarely use brokers, I just advertise and lease directly.

Offline YesThatsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2020, 09:13:43 AM »
That's also illegal. That's called evicting a tenant without a legal right. You're liable to be sued for that. So far the only one who's engaging in illegal behavior is you!

Well my lawyer says otherwise. 

Offline hocker

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2020, 09:16:07 AM »
Well my lawyer says otherwise. 
Your lawyer says that you can change locks on a tenant for non payment without a court order?!

Offline hocker

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2020, 09:19:17 AM »
These things are discussed in advance my dear. Broker informs both sides of their obligations in advance and usually gets a signature. What's wrong about that?

I happen to rarely use brokers, I just advertise and lease directly.
Even if it's discussed in advance. I don't care how rarely it happens it's still illegal.
See
חוק השכירות והשאילה, תשל"א-1971 25ט (ב) 3

Offline Baglach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2020, 09:33:08 AM »

As I said before our rents are fair for the buildings we are in. We like quick turns and don't wait for people who can pay more. When you are running many units thigs trade at market prices, not at some artificial high one.

I know I am dealing with honeymooners.  Most American couples in Israel are honeymooners.  Middle class honeymooners rent one type of asset, and wealthy honeymooners rent better ones. Rent collection is usually not the issue, people don't set out to steal. It's the fact that 50% of honeymooners not abiding by lease terms and playing games that bothers me.
Where do you get your statistics from?? Seriously you know how many people work hard to make it work here and honestly what does support have to do with all of these you think there's no supported honeymooners in Lakewood??
You are charging a high premium and also deal woth luxurious apartments so you deal with a certain crowd so adapt to that but just to come here and bash the whole "Americans living in Israel" is insane.

Offline Baglach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2020, 09:34:46 AM »
Well it's one big peer pressure to go in the first place.  So if none is going back, why bother trying?  And of course Yeshiva Kollel is closed to. I'm just waiting for that argument to start once the border reopens
There you go again, its all peer pressure, what do you care? Hopefully these tenants of yours will stay home for a bit and then you will learn to stop criticizing everyone and be thankful that they want to come here and lease such apartments

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2020, 09:41:31 AM »
There's a huge attitute problem amongst the young couples in Israel.
I have 29 apartments in all different sizes. I would say its 50/50 good couples bad couples, not a small minority.
I help manage the luxury assets in the Jerusalem Chareidi submarket... Most apartments are in the new development's that have sprung up in the past few years in the northern neighborhoods.

50% of luxury apartment clients not being good tenants is kinda a bit different than "a huge attitute problem amongst the young couples in Israel". The vast majority of young couples don't rent luxury apartments, so it's 50% of a small percentage.

You remind me of Airbnb hosts complaining about high wear and tear, garbage, loud parties and the like. Do they think that the 100%++ premium that they're charging for short-term comes for free? Of course they have to deal with problems if they rent short term, and that's what they get the big bucks for.

Your business is similar: you rent out apartments to at prices that Israelis wouldn't pay, and then when you have to deal with your tenants "breaking terms, giving proper notice,  subletting,  ignoring Arnona, demanding furniture and fixtures, cleaning, leaving junk, etc "being bratty and feeling entitled"" you come out here like a victim. Did you think that you were getting that premium in rent for free?

If this is the way to get your clients the highest ROI after accounting for all the garbage that you have to deal with, then just look at all their "bratty-ness" as the cost of getting those high rents. And if you're really losing tons of money on their shtick, then maybe your investors' ROI would look better by buying simpler assets that could be rented to the general, responsible more long-term population.