Author Topic: Rate of transmission up in NJ but positive cases down or steady  (Read 1065 times)

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Can someone explain how the rate of transmission is officially up in NJ, but actual positive cases are down or steady. If 1 person is now spreading it to more than 1 person shouldn't the positive cases in NJ start going up? Or the fact that the rate of transmission is up isn't true - it's just that now that very few people are walking around with the virus and it's mainly coming from Florida etc. Or family members... people are able to pinpoint who actually may have given them the virus. Which actually would mean it's a good thing the rate of transmission is up cause it's not actually up - it's the same or less and people now know exactly where they are getting the virus and it's not coming from some random stranger because there was no mask wearing in public...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 10:24:49 AM by 4yourinfo »

Offline 4yourinfo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Rate of transmission up in NJ but positive cases down or steady
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 12:37:27 AM »
Another spin from our neighbor Deblasio - Con man Dr. Varma
Question: My next question is a COVID question and maybe Dr. Varma can weigh in as well. Are you baffled, surprised, can you explain the fact that there's been no measurable uptick from Phase One, Phase Two, Phase Three, given the massive increase in the number of cases in other states and a loosely enforced quarantine at best, do you think there's some kind of herd immunity taking root in New York City, New York State that explains the level of transmission at this point, and if Dr. Varma could weigh in as well?

Mayor: I'll start and turn to Dr. Varma very quickly. Andrew, it's a great question. I just remind you New Yorkers learned powerful lessons, and then they really owned those lessons in terms of wearing face coverings, in terms of social distancing. We have to look at how much discipline and focus there has been, how much unity there's been in New York City, which we did not see in the other parts of the country that have had the problems. A lot of precautions put in place. People have been really devoted, putting up those hand sanitizer stands, all sorts of things that have helped to keep people safe, and then the Test and Trace Corps, huge x-factor to have that constant presence out there working with people, making sure they're safe, making sure they have what they need, obviously massive testing. We're up to 40,000 tests a day now. That's something a lot of other places have not been able to achieve. I think all of these pieces are contributing to why you see sustained progress. Take it away, Dr. Varma.

Senior Advisor Jay Varma: Yeah. Thank you very much for the question. I concur entirely with actually the Mayor's assessment. I think it would be incorrect to attribute the current status of cases to immunity, because there's a lot that we don't know about immunity and there's also what we know, which is that the vast majority of New Yorkers actually weren't infected. So the most likely explanations for our current situation are as the Mayor pointed out the combination of our defensive strategies, physical distancing, wearing face covers, good hygiene, and as the Mayor also pointed out importantly, the offensive strategies, a massive increase in the amount of testing that's going on and testing that's tied to identifying contacts and safely separating cases and contacts.

Mayor: I don't, I may have missed it. You speak to the herd immunity question?

Senior Advisor Varma: Yes, Mr. Mayor. Yes, I mentioned, I think that immunity is a very unlikely explanation for this because we know that the vast majority of New Yorkers actually weren't infected, and so we're not nearly at a level where we would expect that immunity would play a major role in decreasing transmission. There's still far too many New Yorkers who are susceptible. Thank you doctor.

Offline Yard sale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rate of transmission up in NJ but positive cases down or steady
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 01:44:36 PM »
The positivity rate is below 1 again in NJ and Murphy takes the credit. The rate of compliance to his orders is lower than ever.Even the park employees in the Cattus Island visitors center had their masks off the other day. There’s no way he can tie the numbers to see sawing vigilance each time the numbers shift. He may as well take credit for the weather. Tropical storm Isaias was all the fault of those knuckleheads. Since then they’ve started behaving so we have nice weather...

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/08/nj-coronavirus-transmission-rate-falls-below-key-benchmark-as-state-reports-258-new-cases-4-new-deaths.html

“We are, thankfully, down below one,” Gov. Phil Murphy said during an afternoon briefing. “This is because so many of you have redoubled your efforts as it relates to social distancing and wearing your masks, and from what we’ve done from a policy point as well as enforcement to crack down on crowded indoor gatherings.”

The guy is an idiot. Every time the rate creeps up it’s knuckleheads who aren’t putting on masks. Every time it dips down it’s to his credit due to enforcement. Cant have anything to do with travelers coming back from hotspots which spiked a few weeks ago and are now on the way down can it?