Topic Wiki

List of symptoms 1st time vs 2nd time
@ae123    Weakness and flu-type feeling was worse the first time but now I have severe muscle pain.
« Last edited by KSMH on April 24, 2020, 12:03:50 AM »

Author Topic: Getting Corona Virus Twice  (Read 37933 times)

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
Re: Getting Corona Virus Twice
« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2020, 06:31:26 AM »
Problem is people who test positive a second time and need to be hospitalized

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline Pupashtetl

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 03, 2020, 10:46:42 AM »
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #145 on: May 03, 2020, 10:56:01 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/scientists-conclude-people-cannot-get-coronavirus-twice/ar-BB13tm64?ocid=st

It most likley is based on the same research but nevertheless makes sense.

Literally the same thing over and over.

It made sense when they said it didn't transmit human-to-human, but then it did. It made sense when they said it wasn't airborne, but then it was. It made sense when they said hydroxychloroquine would fix it, but then it didn't.

I'd like more than one study of 227 people in SK before we make actionable decisions based on it.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 03, 2020, 11:31:49 AM »

It made sense when they said it didn't transmit human-to-human, but then it did. It made sense when they said it wasn't airborne, but then it was. It made sense when they said hydroxychloroquine would fix it, but then it didn't.

I'd like more than one study of 227 people in SK before we make actionable decisions based on it.

Coronaviruses in general do not mutate much and therefore from the onset it was unlikely that you would be able to be reinfected. South Korea reported these which moved it from a certainty to something less then that, now that South Korea is reporting that there were no reinfections and in the six months of this virus being around we haven't seen any reinfections it is a near certainty in the medical world that there is immunity.

There hasn't been one reinfection reported in the whole world, what more of a study do you need?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #147 on: May 03, 2020, 11:41:02 AM »
Coronaviruses in general do not mutate much and therefore from the onset it was unlikely that you would be able to be reinfected. South Korea reported these which moved it from a certainty to something less then that, now that South Korea is reporting that there were no reinfections and in the six months of this virus being around we haven't seen any reinfections it is a near certainty in the medical world that there is immunity.

There hasn't been one reinfection reported in the whole world, what more of a study do you need?

I'd like to introduce you to some DDF members who posted upthread...

Seriously though, I'm not saying the study is wrong. But there are many reasons this isn't like any of the other coronavirus cousins. There's also the facts that there were a total of 10k confirmed cases in SK and virtually all discoveries about the oddities of this virus have come from outside of SK. I just want more studies before this becomes the latest "blunder" (in the parlance of DDF).

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 03, 2020, 11:48:00 AM »
I'd like to introduce you to some DDF members who posted upthread...

Seriously though, I'm not saying the study is wrong. But there are many reasons this isn't like any of the other coronavirus cousins. There's also the facts that there were a total of 10k confirmed cases in SK and virtually all discoveries about the oddities of this virus have come from outside of SK. I just want more studies before this becomes the latest "blunder" (in the parlance of DDF).
The RNA properties of the Coronavirus are the same exact thing. Just happens to be much more deadly then the cousins.

Reinfection means being completely free of the virus after your body mounts a response against it and then it coming back and reinfecting you. Antibodies are a sign that your immune system mounted a response against the virus.

Offline simple26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 03, 2020, 11:49:12 AM »

Not sure that’s a good comparison there were no studies on either of those things mentioned if I remember correctly this a study by the country the has the bast hand and data on the virus
But by all means we do need a much larger study which I still can’t understand why were net hearing of any

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2020, 11:51:03 AM »
Not sure that’s a good comparison there were no studies on either of those things mentioned if I remember correctly this a study by the country the has the bast hand and data on the virus
But by all means we do need a much larger study which I still can’t understand why were net hearing of any
How do you study such a thing in anyway besides for looking at the data and seeing that no one who recovered - testing negative (with antibodies) - has again be reinfected. They aren’t gonna go and inject people with the virus and see if they get reinfected.

Offline simple26

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 03, 2020, 11:52:10 AM »
How do you study such a thing in anyway besides for looking at the data and seeing that no one who recovered - testing negative (with antibodies) - has again be reinfected. They aren’t gonna go and inject people with the virus and see if they get reinfected.
The same way they test vaccines ?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 03, 2020, 11:55:59 AM »
The RNA properties of the Coronavirus are the same exact thing. Just happens to be much more deadly then the cousins.

Reinfection means being completely free of the virus after your body mounts a response against it and then it coming back and reinfecting you. Antibodies are a sign that your immune system mounted a response against the virus.

I'm not going to overstep by getting into pathology, because my understanding is limited in that area. I do know that the reports I've read suggest anomalies not found in the cousins. The virus is being found in numerous body parts never seen before with this type of virus (eg. testes). It is also confounding doctors in the ways it attacks the body. It seems to be attack different weakness in different bodies, again, in ways not common to other coronaviruses.  I'm not a professional or an expert, but when I'm presented with a coronavirus that is different than any other in so many different ways, I'm not about to assume it's the same in any way without meticulously detailed verified research.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 03, 2020, 12:00:32 PM »

Sure there were studies about human-to-human contact and airborne transmission before the made those announcements. They just weren't working with complete data (or they were lying). SK doesn't have the best data at all. They just shut it down very, very effectively. The reasons for that have been dissected multiple times already, but it has nothing to do with the data they have on Covid.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #154 on: May 03, 2020, 12:26:38 PM »
Won’t they? Isn’t it a “near certainty” that they won’t get reinfected? Wouldn’t you, and others who have such a blase attitude toward the possibility of reinfection sign up for such a study in a heartbeat? Prove your point to the world!

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2020, 12:31:03 PM »
Won’t they? Isn’t it a “near certainty” that they won’t get reinfected? Wouldn’t you, and others who have such a blase attitude toward the possibility of reinfection sign up for such a study in a heartbeat? Prove your point to the world!

There will never be such a study as there is no real scientific purpose.

Offline simple26

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2020, 12:34:46 PM »
How about a purpose for humanity?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2020, 02:09:00 PM »
I’m confused. There is no scientific purpose to finding out if antibodies render you immune from future reinfection? Or do you mean something else?

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 03, 2020, 03:33:25 PM »
I’m confused. There is no scientific purpose to finding out if antibodies render you immune from future reinfection? Or do you mean something else?
I mean that trying to “reinfect” people to see if they are immune or not would serve as an economic purpose more then a scientific purpose. Therefore it would be hard to get funding and energy put into such a study to really research it and make it a safe and sound study.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #159 on: May 03, 2020, 03:36:44 PM »
I mean that trying to “reinfect” people to see if they are immune or not would serve as an economic purpose more then a scientific purpose. Therefore it would be hard to get funding and energy put into such a study to really research it and make it a safe and sound study.
I’m not sure what you mean. Of course it serves a scientific purpose. Finding out how immunity to this virus works.