Author Topic: Covid testing questions (not antibodies)  (Read 510 times)

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Covid testing questions (not antibodies)
« on: June 19, 2020, 11:39:36 AM »
1) Does anybody know of a place in Brooklyn that does rapid testing? (Yes, I know lab tests are more accurate)

2) Unrelated to #1, we've been strictly SDing until now, but with the summer approaching and our kids needing socialization, we have some cousins who want to come to our house for 1-2 weeks from another city, but I requested that they first get a negative Covid test. They are terrified of nasal swabs, but found a local place offering saliva tests that they're willing to take before coming to us. Are the saliva tests currently available reliably accurate?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Covid testing questions (not antibodies)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 11:41:04 AM »
See if you can get a place that will process self-administered lower nasal swab. Those appear to be just as reliable.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, *G, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Total Rewards Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, DDF Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 12:15:29 PM »
1) Does anybody know of a place in Brooklyn that does rapid testing? (Yes, I know lab tests are more accurate)

2) Unrelated to #1, we've been strictly SDing until now, but with the summer approaching and our kids needing socialization, we have some cousins who want to come to our house for 1-2 weeks from another city, but I requested that they first get a negative Covid test. They are terrified of nasal swabs, but found a local place offering saliva tests that they're willing to take before coming to us. Are the saliva tests currently available reliably accurate?
I took this one but it costs $150. Insurance may or may not reimburse.

Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 12:17:48 PM »
I get that it's uncomfortable, but terrified?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 12:25:03 PM »
Just found this, which looks encouraging:
https://news.wttw.com/2020/06/18/covid-19-saliva-test-accurate-swabs-uchicago-research-finds

I get that it's uncomfortable, but terrified?

After reading the following on DDMS, I myself was nervous and asked the MD if the test had changed, since I found it far less invasive than I was expecting:

I was seen about 40 minutes after they opened and was advised to sit on my hands as the test would be uncomfortable. Im pretty sure they were swabbing until it came back with brain matter, but at least Id have answers.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 12:53:11 PM »
Just found this, which looks encouraging:
https://news.wttw.com/2020/06/18/covid-19-saliva-test-accurate-swabs-uchicago-research-finds

After reading the following on DDMS, I myself was nervous and asked the MD if the test had changed, since I found it far less invasive than I was expecting:

I was seen about 40 minutes after they opened and was advised to sit on my hands as the test would be uncomfortable. Im pretty sure they were swabbing until it came back with brain matter, but at least Id have answers.
Just depends how machmir the swabber is. That was also day one, so they may be less machmir now.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 01:03:20 PM »
I'd be cautious about accuracy of saliva tests.

NYC was offering nursing homes saliva tests to test all their patients, but last I heard it wasn't working out because the lab they're using couldn't prove their saliva tests were actually accurate.