Author Topic: Travel insurance with Covid coverage  (Read 1565 times)

Online Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Travel insurance with Covid coverage
« on: July 17, 2020, 12:54:01 PM »
Some international destinations that are reopening are requiring that iin addition to a recent negative Covid test, one must also have insurance that covers any costs associated with Covid treatment, quarantine, evacuation, etc. A cursory discussion that I read indicated that many traveler insurance policies are excluding Covid coverage, since it is no longer considered an unforeseen circumstance. If anyone has looked into this, do you know of any policies available for a reasonable charge that provide such coverage, whether for purchase, or through CSR, or a standard health insurance policy?

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: Travel insurance with Covid coverage
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 01:16:52 PM »
Some international destinations that are reopening are requiring that iin addition to a recent negative Covid test, one must also have insurance that covers any costs associated with Covid treatment, quarantine, evacuation, etc. A cursory discussion that I read indicated that many traveler insurance policies are excluding Covid coverage, since it is no longer considered an unforeseen circumstance. If anyone has looked into this, do you know of any policies available for a reasonable charge that provide such coverage, whether for purchase, or through CSR, or a standard health insurance policy?

These policies EXPLICITLY cover COVID-19. For large families traveling for the entire summer, it might be expensive, but for an individual going for 3 weeks to Israel I don't think even the more expensive option is unreasonable.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 01:42:33 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. It does look like they offer exactly what I'm looking for, and with a quote of $124 for basic and $246 for premium for my whole family for the duration of the trip, it's quite reasonable in the Covid era and should satisfy the government's requirement.

The only concern I have is: https://www.yelp.com/biz/seven-corners-carmel - 84 out of 92 reviews giving them 1 star makes them sound like a scam.

Do you have any personal experience with this company, or know anyone who's used it and successfully made a claim? I hope not to need it, but in the Covid era, I don't want to take chances, and I'm even nervous that this policy could cause me to lose whatever CSR coverage I would otherwise have.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 01:48:10 PM »
Honestly, I don't have claim experience with them. They are a fairly large player in the travel insurance business.

I did once have an EXPAT living in China that bought insurance from them through me, and mid year they cancelled the policy due to a change in Chinese laws (they refunded the unused premiums).
-- Dan

Offline elimmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 02:04:01 PM »
i have a family coming from Israel (us citizens) who want insurance in USA for summer that covers covid.  any leads r appreciated

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 03:01:02 PM »
i have a family coming from Israel (us citizens) who want insurance in USA for summer that covers covid.  any leads r appreciated

From what I've seen, most travel insurance issued by US companies will not cover US citizens visiting the US.

What state are they coming to?
-- Dan

Offline njmacman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 03:09:07 PM »
Looks scary. Any other companies?

Offline shmulkey

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 09:09:44 PM »
Does anyone have any other recommendations for travel insurance with Covid coverage?  As said before, some of sevencorners.com reviews on yelp are troubling.

Offline njmacman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 06:28:16 PM »
Try your regular health insurance. Horizon sent us a letter saying there was Covid coverage.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 12:17:32 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. It does look like they offer exactly what I'm looking for, and with a quote of $124 for basic and $246 for premium for my whole family for the duration of the trip, it's quite reasonable in the Covid era and should satisfy the government's requirement.

The only concern I have is: https://www.yelp.com/biz/seven-corners-carmel - 84 out of 92 reviews giving them 1 star makes them sound like a scam.

Do you have any personal experience with this company, or know anyone who's used it and successfully made a claim? I hope not to need it, but in the Covid era, I don't want to take chances, and I'm even nervous that this policy could cause me to lose whatever CSR coverage I would otherwise have.

Regarding Seven Corners. Different people might have different experiences. With Seven Corners they always recommend completing the claim online. Using the online process is a lot more streamlined, and assures that everthing that all the information is properly submitted.

This article seems to indicate positive experience with Seven Corners and has them on the recommended list.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 12:22:58 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 12:22:00 PM »
Not sure if you still need, but in case you do, I've found a company that excludes US residents visiting the US, but I have confirmed with them the US Citizens permanently residing outside the US as long as they are coming for a limited time to the US, and will not be staying in a place they own in the US.

https://secure.globalunderwriters.com/quote/quote.aspx?intFamilyID=1&intGroupID=1&ID=760GI6
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 07:55:53 PM »
I recently found another company that offers FULL COVID-19 coverage on their travel medical policies. Some of the policies offer primary coverage, and some of the prices are unbelievably low. I'm still trying to sort out the various plans to make it easier to decide what to purchase, but anyone with an immediate need of coverage for travel outside of their home country, whether to the USA, from the USA or elsewhere globally, plans exist and are priced well.

PM for details.
-- Dan