Topic Wiki

Author Topic: Bill D達lasio Warns "The Jewish Community"  (Read 87164 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Bill D達lasio Warns "The Jewish Community"
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2020, 01:24:14 AM »
The forums are packed comments of people telling about such funerals.

To my knowledge, there has been no uproar about them at even a fraction of the magnitude of what just blew up in BDB's face.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2020, 01:29:34 AM »
@Lurker, I'll borrow some perspective from you, to give you some perspective now.andCouple that with these sentiments on the ground,And exactly that happened today in Williamsburg.

Don't think this is justification, but giving perspective is key to understand the incomprehensible. Hope this helps.

You should know, I tried talking myself down with the same logic earlier. But today is not April 6. The body count is not the same. The yesomim!! I just can't fathom the thought process at this point in the game.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2020, 01:34:26 AM »
I get that. You can make them both priorities without diminishing the importance of either one.

"Halevai" is on your cheat sheet already, right?

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2020, 01:36:00 AM »
You should know, I tried talking myself down with the same logic earlier. But today is not April 6. The body count is not the same. The yesomim!! I just can't fathom the thought process at this point in the game.
I'll guess it's because you live in FL and hearing this as distant news. The sentiments on the ground is (sadly) just the opposite in comparing to April 6, it's like the wildfire had swept through brutally, and it's currently extinguishing. Shomrei hadas and Yeraim chapels telling everyone that numbers are back to normal isn't helpful either.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2020, 01:41:02 AM »
Meanwhile I'm sitting over here trying to figure out why Jews think Suicide By Levaya is halachically ok, and why no other Jews are doing anything about it.

Oh, wait... The Shomrim coordinator wearing a mask on his chin was handing out masks with no gloves. They were doing something.
Don't compare apple to oranges....and why does the employee at Costco take the same disinfectant wipe and wipe down 50 wagon handles before taking a new wipe.

Because you acted like a nitwit yesterday doesn't make you a nitwit today.

Point being he's a Mayor! He should act like one and watch what comes out of his mouth, or rather what he tweets!!
 But for him to go take pictures with 100s of hospital staff all wearing their gowns, gloves, masks all on top of each other, who just came out of a hospital with Covid-19 patients is ok?

Oh what about the hypocrite who lives in Manhattan and instead of going local, he himself goes to prospect Park to go jogging when he can nicely go to Central Park/battery Park, which would be local for him.
   But you need to stay home and only go out for essential needs! 
 Haha joke of the century!
       But to say a final good bye to a person who has left this world, and we are all wearing gloves and masks is not fine? But for a picture it is fine?

Ya what ever! We should all live and be well!
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2020, 01:56:07 AM »
I'll guess it's because you live in FL and hearing this as distant news. The sentiments on the ground is (sadly) just the opposite in comparing to April 6, it's like the wildfire had swept through brutally, and it's currently extinguishing. Shomrei hadas and Yeraim chapels telling everyone that numbers are back to normal isn't helpful either.

The distance takes some of the sting out of it, but my friends and family are right in the middle of it. 35 year old friend got off a vent right before Pesach. My neighbor just got up from shiva for her mother, and her father is still critical. 3 doors down, another neighbor didn't get to sit shiva for his father for more than a few hours. Another friend a block away just had his father come off a vent after a month. i dont need to tell you the stories, you're living them.

The sentiments on the ground are wrong, and there needs to be a coordinated way to get good info to people, or we'll be doing this all summer long. The same effort that launched the tsunami of ridicule and outrage at BDB needs to be applied in educational efforts, as well.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2020, 01:57:54 AM »
Don't compare apple to oranges....and why does the employee at Costco take the same disinfectant wipe and wipe down 50 wagon handles before taking a new wipe.

Because you acted like a nitwit yesterday doesn't make you a nitwit today.

Point being he's a Mayor! He should act like one and watch what comes out of his mouth, or rather what he tweets!!
 But for him to go take pictures with 100s of hospital staff all wearing their gowns, gloves, masks all on top of each other, who just came out of a hospital with Covid-19 patients is ok?

Oh what about the hypocrite who lives in Manhattan and instead of going local, he himself goes to prospect Park to go jogging when he can nicely go to Central Park/battery Park, which would be local for him.
   But you need to stay home and only go out for essential needs! 
 Haha joke of the century!
       But to say a final good bye to a person who has left this world, and we are all wearing gloves and masks is not fine? But for a picture it is fine?

Ya what ever! We should all live and be well!

The "But Mommy, they're doing it" arguments have to stop. There's zero validity to them.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2020, 01:58:24 AM »
The distance takes some of the sting out of it, but my friends and family are right in the middle of it. 35 year old friend got off a vent right before Pesach. My neighbor just got up from shiva for her mother, and her father is still critical. 3 doors down, another neighbor didn't get to sit shiva for his father for more than a few hours. Another friend a block away just had his father come off a vent after a month. i dont need to tell you the stories, you're living them.

The sentiments on the ground are wrong, and there needs to be a coordinated way to get good info to people, or we'll be doing this all summer long. The same effort that launched the tsunami of ridicule and outrage at BDB needs to be applied in educational efforts, as well.
On same page

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2020, 02:20:51 AM »
The "But Mommy, they're doing it" arguments have to stop. There's zero validity to them.
I'm sorry if you don't like the facts!
Anyways don't have the time to rant away here, way past my bed time!
  Haters will always be haters!  We got to live our lives to fullest, and make the most of each day.

And yes I do agree being that we are the עם הנבחר we have to go above and beyond and make sure to abide with the govt rules and regulations, because if not we will make it to the news, as עשו שונא ליעקב and that will be like that until the coming of mashiach!

In a way it's sad, because of deblasio we have here on the forum members blasting each other, we got to perfect ourselves vs sitting here and arguing, that ain't bringing the geula!

With the amount of rabbanim, fathers and mother's who left this world during this pandemic is heart breaking!
  To see hundreds of יתומים unfortunately, and not to wake up is mind boggling!
     This is a reminder for ourselves to wake up and become better people!
    One can't imagine the pain it is for a child to grow up the rest of his life without one or both parents, the very most he can do is sit there and cry , beg to the rebonoi Shel oilam to bring the final geula.

To do my part, I'm out of this thread, will say an extra kappital of tehillim during these times rather that bash each other in this thread!

BeH very we should all be zoheh to the ultimate Geulah and be spared from all the hatred and be zocheh to come together with all those who left us, together in Yerushalim ir hakodesh! And of course be spared from this terrible machla of C-19!
  לילה טוב Folks!
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2020, 08:36:33 AM »
I know understand @Lurker point as I just seen a clip of the funeral.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2020, 08:41:30 AM »
Important context

https://twitter.com/NYCGreenfield/status/1255460056952385536

Go check out the whole thread. I disagree with some of it, but it is a helps to reframe the issue.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2020, 08:49:03 AM »
Important context

Go check out the whole thread. I disagree with some of it, but it is a helps to reframe the issue.
Would it be possible to discuss his points without going after each other?

Offline yeshivabucher

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2020, 08:53:38 AM »
Would it be possible to discuss his points without going after each other?
possible yes, probable that it will veer into going after each other also yes

Offline 12HRS

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »
I may get blasted for this but I am trying to be honest with myself here and I just don't see why saying Jewish community is any more a problem vs Trump calling covid-19 the Chinese virus. The only reason its concerning is because as jews we understand the likelihood that it leads to anti-semitism.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2020, 09:51:32 AM »
I think a major issue is we see something wrong so blame needs to be handed out. When I and others seen beaches flooded in FL for spring break we blamed the college kids. Was that fair, probably not as there was many other groups there. When we see the crowd gather for the fly over who do we blame? There is not one group to pin that on. This latest issue to blame someone is pretty easy to do when you see the pictures/video. No different than blaming the Christians for the Church services when you see those pictures/videos.

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2020, 09:54:49 AM »
Statement from the shul

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2020, 09:58:16 AM »
Thank you for posting this!
Apology accepted.

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2020, 10:02:13 AM »
I may get blasted for this but I am trying to be honest with myself here and I just don't see why saying Jewish community is any more a problem vs Trump calling covid-19 the Chinese virus. The only reason its concerning is because as jews we understand the likelihood that it leads to anti-semitism.
Where did the virus start?

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2020, 10:06:21 AM »
Where did the virus start?
Wuhan China. So lets call it the CHINESE virus to incite racist attacks against all Chinese people?

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2020, 10:15:59 AM »
Gold from @Chaikel

https://twitter.com/ChaikelK/status/1255342633444093952

Lol that is great. I am usually not political on twitter but that tweet really riled me up.

This kept me up late at night. Not enough characters on twitter I need to rant once here about all the aspects that bother me and get it off my chest to feel better. Feel free to ignore this it's for me not you.

Basically the entire NYC was outside yesterday b/c it was 67 degrees for once and everyone is feeling cooped up, many flooding the parks and violating social distancing. All ethnicities. Particularly egregious were people watching some planes do a tribute, according to the NY post they were standing shoulder to shoulder and stationary (a nice idea I guess but gun to my head a funeral is "more important" than any kind of plane tribute - I'm not defending chasidim here, I am just calling out these plane watchers. Some were saying they felt stuck when so many people gathered and blamed each other for encroaching in their space. Um you're not stuck, take your butt and go home.)
Meanwhile a group of chasidim pre-coordinated an outdoor, socially distant funeral for a very prominent and revered leader with the NYPD (which means they should get some of the blame for this falling apart btw), including masks being handed out. Granted people were idiots and it got blown to hell, but the effort was at least made at the outset. It gets out of hand, the Mayor goes personally to help break it up.

Tired and exhausted (probably) the Mayor at night takes to twitter and not only sees fit to call out this group of chasidim out of all the social distancing violators yesterday, but does so with the term "Jewish community" (!!!!!)

Important backdrop: In the past year, there has been a scary and meteoric rise specifically in anti-Jew hate crime in his city (Jews getting randomly beat up in the streets etc) under his watch. You would think he would be extremely careful and sensitive about doing anything that might negatively impact anti-Jewish sentiment? Like be absolutely sure your tweet will be helpful and do more good than harm.

Yet in an extremely turbulent time where tensions are high with this virus, he decides to point out chasidim and threaten them with arrest (Chasidim don't have twitter and won't see this). But now making a bad thing much worse, he doesn't say chasidish community or Williamsburgh community he uses the term JEWISH COMMUNITY.

Jews make up 13% of NYC. The vast majority of us are following the rules. Anyone reading this tweet won't know this. People are stuck at home and looking for news and in a world with fewer and fewer unbiased sources, a tweet straight from a politician carries a lot of weight as to the facts on the ground. People are going to think Jews are violating social distancing when the opposite is true. The overwhelming majority are following the rules. Come on we are hypochondriacs.

Lastly the hypocritical part. Bill De Blasio is famous for downplaying this virus in early march encouraging everyone to "get out on the town despite coronavirus" (3/2 tweet). 6 days after purim and 3 days after Lakewood rabbinic authorities banned public gatherings, De Blasio went to a gym. To this day, De Blasio takes a car to brooklyn to go for walks, which is counter his own directive to "avoid all unnecessary travel" (he lives near a park). Even if you think it's not technically harmful (I'd agree), it is still counter to his directive, period, and a good leader would go above and beyond to set an example, let alone fall short of his own guidelines even in a technical/non-dangerous sense.

I think I covered it all. Ok I can finally move on from this topic.

/rant
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 10:19:23 AM by Redbull3 »